AMD FX 8150 processor review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 12, 2011.

1. bucknuts21

bucknuts21 Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB
    Now the 8150 needs to drop 30% and maybe I'll buy it :bang:

2. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Needless to say I am, as most everyone else, disappointed by the performance of Bulldozer.

I never expected it to fully bridge the IPC gap with Sandy Bridge but I did expect it to shuffle a bit closer, not perform worse than the last generation.

There's a very real reason AMD is thoroughly screwed with Bulldozer and it's not (just) the performance...

4-module Bulldozer, 32nm, ~2 billion transistors, 315mm^2.
    4-core Sandy Bridge, 32nm, ~1 billion transistors, 216mm^2.

Intel is bound to make a killing compared to AMD on the die size alone, then add the fact that Intel own their own foundries and AMD does not. Ouch. :(

3. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    [​IMG]

4. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    lol that would be nice maybe make a few more bucks when i do sell my rig

5. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Suddenly, my Phenom, especially overclocked as it is, doesn't seem so slow anymore.

Skipping Bulldie, that's what I'll do.

2012 - surprise me!

6. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Test system shoud have used 1866 memory speed as its normal for BD. Not allow mobo to choose it. basically, BD DDR3 lost 4000MB reading speed.. just for my 0 cent.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  7. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
  8. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    BD sucks for the most part, but the thing with Sysmark isn't because of BD. If it was all about BD, Nvidia, Via and whoever else left, wouldn't have left. The problem with Sysmark has always been that Sysmark has always catered benchmarks to suit Intel CPU's, from when Intel was behind, and even still when Intel has been ahead.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, AMD is definitely not in good shape. People are starting to cite their graphics market as doing well, but Intel is starting to chip away there too with their integrated solutions. Nvidia recognized this years ago and started moving towards the mobile/arm market. AMD doesn't have this luxury yet. Not sure what they are going to do, as it seems like they are sticking with this architecture for some time. They claimed they're targeting a 15% increase in performance in their next generation CPU, but Intel is targeting a 20% increase over Sandybridge with Ivy. So the gap is only going to increase further. Not sure what AMD plans on doing, but it better get it's act into gear now.

10. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Or they could delay Ivy Bridge to maximise the return on Sandy Bridge.

I would, the market has no viable alternative and won't for at least 18 months now.

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Intel should drop their prices, not increase them, as surely dropping would increase sales, more than increasing.

12. Luumpy

Luumpy Master Guru

GPU:
    470gtx s/c
    Very true. AMD knocks the price down say 30% then this would be MUCH more interesting. I hope prices fall fast.

13. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
  14. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Just read the review over at anandtech, I'm finding it quite interesting the more, and more I read about bulldozer that many of the reviewers basically are saying it wasn't ready, that Windows 7 can't properly use the architecture, and that because of the issues at GF we are not seeing the true performance of the architecture.

I just hope that in the future AMD can fix these issues, and produce something that is at least competitive to someone who cares about thing other than raw clock speed and lots of cores. Bring on Piledriver.

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Piledriver will be a waste of time as well if its only around 10-15% better than Bully (as being reported).

Hmm, Bull*****, PILEdriver, anyone see a theme here :p

16. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
  17. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Awsome Review as always Hilbert.

Completely useless for Us Gamers , even my old overclocked i7 950 its a lot faster in games :D , Complete Failure.

FAILED

[​IMG]
    By chispy at 2011-10-12

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You missed the part where Hilbert says that he had to ramp up the voltage. My point is that they wanted to hit 4.3Ghz without ramping up the voltage that far (obviously) but weren't able to because of the 32nm GF process.

19. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Lol at the Bulldozer pics. I'm sad that it can't even win in multithreaded games like BC2 and BF3.

I would pay $150 for the 8150, since it's worse then the 2500k and takes up a heap of power.

20. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    I second this, WTF people? why running at 1600 when BD can do 1866? its obvious that their get most of their memory bandwidth by running at that speed, its like saying, Ok, I will review this 2600k but i will put the memory on single chanel and run the memory only at 800.

Most bios doesnt even know how to use your memory speed properly, my memories run at bios default 667 when they should be 800.