I think there is something up with the Frostbite engine(s) and 560's.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TimmyP, Oct 9, 2011.

1. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Okay.

In March I got an EVGA 560 TI OC... from day 1 this card would only crash, or artifact in BC2. Every other game was fine, absolutely no problems.

Well I started to get sick of these BC2 crashes as they seemed to happen more and more. I scoured the internet only to find SO MANY people with the EXACT same problems...BC2 only. There were so many different mixtures of hardware/software configurations; the only constant was a 560 ti... The brand didn't matter.

Solutions I found on the internet for this matter back in March-June: Downclock card MEM/CORE/SHADERS, up the voltage a bit, increase fan speed with Afterburner, change power supply, try new card bios, new drivers, cold boot pc, etc... I also monitored the temperature closely, and even with the fan speed at 100%, my GPU temps were fine and hardly different at auto fan speed vs. 100%.

Every solution seemed to provide a temporary fix, as the crashes were getting worse and more frequent until BAM! BC2 gave me another hardlock after artifacting. Tried restarting; video corruption on boot. Card was done.

Now, mind you, that NOTHING in my system was overclocked, undervolted, slowed fan speed, etc. The system was completely stable in everything except BC2. Even prior to March when I used my 260 for BC2, not a single problem. I had even changed my PSU for a nice Corsair 700W with a single 68a 12v rail for GPU stability. I also tried a different, nicer motherboard.

Thankfully, Microcenter took the card back no questions (and no receipt, whew!) and gave me a shiny new replacement. This card was the same, but had two fans this time, instead of one. This card has produced 0 problems... Until BF3.

The EXACT same thing is happening... verbatim from what I found with my first-gen 560ti and BC2. The problems AND SOLUTIONS are absolutely identical right now, compared to BC2 a few months back. The 560ti is still the constant.

And yes, I have monitored the temperatures just as I did before, and even downclocked for stability. Seemingly no problems again with temps (but I cant monitor GPU memory temperature).

After more frequent artifacting in BF3, I had my first hard-lock yesterday. My heart sank; Thankfully, my PC seems fine today. Just no BF3.

The only things I can think of are:
    1) The card is unable to handle this engine, at the highest possible in-game settings (except resolution) with additional, driver-level FSAA applied (I like 2x SGSSAA).
    2) There is a bug somewhere in Frostbite's code, that is causing problems isolated to only 560ti's.

If anyone out there has any input on this. Please post. If you search elsewhere, you will see that this problem is spreading like wildfire.

2. DJSmak

DJSmak Member

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB 1250Mhz
    My lad has been hammering BF3 with his Gigabyte 560ti SOC @1Ghz since the beta started no issues :confused:

3. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    What settings does he run inside (in-game settings) and outside (driver settings) of the game?

4. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    I had your problem (not exactly) with crysis 2. and I fixed it by this method
    ingame alt-tab go to the afterburner select your profile again and click apply then go back to game
    upping the voltage and decreasing the core speed a bit may help you too. ;)

another thing is to delete drivers completely with driver sweeper and install the other one with clean install option.

5. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    1) BC2 has been known to crash and lockup. There were 100+ page threads about it on EA forums before the 500 series was even released.

2) You were playing a beta version of BF3. Of course there's going to be artifacting and other glitches. Even the console version has artifacting.

3) I find it unlikely there is a "bug" that isolates problems to 560ti's. I think you're reaching a little bit with that theory.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  6. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

BF3 Beta runs great on my 560 Ti SC as well (285.38 Driver). Everything on Ultra but without AA. Come to think of it BFBC2 also runs great without any CTD.

7. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    Its not FB engine fault, its only nvidia fault and their shift it all to the driver level with cheaper gpus.. And some pull the shorter straw.

Dont believe it, look way back when they introduced 460gtx.

8. exaslave

exaslave Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 560ti
    My 560ti is also working correctly with the BF3 beta and worked fine last time I tried BF BC2

9. residentour

residentour Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I have a 560 TI too and before 270.xx series drivers they were crashing everytime. It is Nvidia's driver team that messes up things. So far it is rock stable for me after 280.XX series.

10. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    560ti here too and no problems ever (touch wood) and BF BC2 played fine.

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Pre-overclocked video cards do suffer from the exact same issues as overclocking at home. The OC setting set to is really at the cards maximum. They kick in an extra fan to give it extra cooling but at the end of the day it is still an overclocked card that has the same problems as any other overclocked card. My suggestion to you is to downclock the card to normal 560 TI speeds and call it a day!

12. anthonyda

anthonyda Member

GPU:
    470 GTX SOX
    Do you have any source of that?

13. okano666

okano666 Active Member

GPU:
    480GTX SLI 800/1600/2K
    Had the same problem with BC2 with it locking up and crashing right up untill the week before BF3 beta came out when they released the 2GIG patch.

Im running 2 480gtx's a 980x and corsair ram, this was all fine for around 10months then around the time Battlefield started locking up i was getting other lock ups aswell just randomly in windows and on other games.

I spent about 2 months pulling my hair out and getting random lock ups, sometimes it was after an hour, sometimes fine for 6hours then crash or even a few days and just as you thought it was fixed it would lock up again.

In the end and 3 months later, I have turned off all the power saving stuff on my CPU C1E state, all the jazz so it never under volts my chip or clocks the mhz down. I also upped the north bridge voltage from 1.11v to 1.26v and i havent had a lock up for over 2months now with my machine on constantly.

Since then ive overclocked my cards from stock 700mhz to 726mhz and the mem to 1900. Ive also overclocked the FSB to 136mhz and changed the multiplyer of my chip to 30. My ram is hitting nearly 2200mhz, chip is stable at 4.1ghz and qpi link at 3276.1mhz and its never been more stable.

Ive hammered the BF3 Beta for the past few weeks running constant 60fps with vsync on and everything on ultra. Rage has been running amazing on 3 screens at a resolution of 5760 x 1200 even with all the problems everyone has been having, i guess i was lucky with that.

I dont understand why turning off all the cpu powersaving stuff and uping the north bridge voltage helped me when i was sure it was my video cards. I was close to RMAing i had also tried to downclock them, i had pritty much tried everything and every driver going.

Not sure it will help you but i thought i would tell you my story anyway seeing as i understand what your going through

GL and hope u get it fixed.

14. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Beta had no ultra textures also other things that was not in beta.

15. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    "(I like 2x SGSSAA)"

How much vid mem are u using when you enable that? Even if its not maxed your card is probably having problems with that much AA... I would lower it and see if you have less crashing.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Sound oddly like the TDR problem alot people are complain about

the screen wouldnt happen to lock up your pc then upon rebooting you have, Artifacting the moment you get in windows then screen started to black out and then come back till the whole pc freezes again.or get Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered or BSOD that mentions nvlddmkm or event view mentioning nvlddmkm

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i saw it my self in numerous driver threads here@guru3d and over @ nvidia.forums..

And there was a pattern, it was like so with 460gtx back in the days and its now with 560 gpus..

I can give you few links to forums, but you can take my word for it.. I mean why would i make something like this up? :nerd:

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    take a look at these links http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=207666
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65161

but i think this problem is part of the TDR errors alot people are complain about

I would make it up if i trying to rma a card under the gust that it the card to get new card with out having to pay for it lmao

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    How can you possibly know that?

20. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Because they told so!? omg..

And you clearly can see that! Also there are plenty sites with settings-pic-comparisons, etc...