IS it worth it to overclock memory?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Saifz, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Its his own fault when he's trying to battle everyone, he deserves it especially because he has done this in multiple threads. I have no sympathy for him.

2. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Actually, his attitude so far has been more along the lines of a new wolf trying to mark his territory in the middle of a wolfpack, while being a third the size of the average wolf of that pack. This usually doesn't end pretty, and so far people on this forum has had a remarkable display of constraint.

This "marking territory"-behavior in humans is usually done by people in desperate need of a belt to hold their pants up, while thinking "mugging a random guy" is how to display their coolness. I think we ... share the high esteem such people hold.

//Svein

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Oh, he also had the balls to tell me to **** off and talk **** in PMs.... Rofl lmao right??

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    You surely can't be as dumb as you present yourself. So you must be a super troll. Hows the gene pool in your neck of the woods? Super shallow is my bet

5. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    Overclocking Memory is not worth anything in your case. Best thing you could try with your setup is lowering the Command Rate down to 1T which will make things NOTICEABLY faster.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  6. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    Sorry mr nordic, no fantasys here. Only experience, something 90% of my challengers lack.
    Go get some sunlight then report back.

No mr "obviosly never got laid" person real world performance is generally refered to as clicking around in windows, web browsing, etc.... has nothing to do with gaming.
    Shush already, im about to add you to ignore list.

Thank you, the ones that gang up probably got beat up in school hence they have to retailite in front of a screen.

No its not my own fault, if notice my first post before you idiots started arguing with me is that I said only bother messing with clocks and timings when OCing a non black edition.

STrike two, at strike 3 you will added to ignore list.

Yes I have an attitude your right, im tired of rejects who just got into computers maybe at most a year go and think they know what they are talking about trying to argue with me. I have over 10 years experience when it comes to hardware.

THe only thing Im desperate for is for idiots to stfu and show some IQ levels and MOST IMPORTANTLY, RESPECT. Instead of trying to have an e-pipi measuring contest.
    Anyone with a fat wallet who knows nothing about computers can build a "uberleet" rig. ANYONE can do that. Do something for almost half the price and better components and then that shows knowledge.

Yes and I also have the balls to out you as a a fgt.

Only a fgt would come and talk about PMs in public. Shows your insecure and in the closet probably.

No offense to homosexuals, reading this, I have nothing against homosexuals, only fgtz that act all macho and are gayer then the ***** loving father from the film "american beauty"...... Congrats mr agent you may be one of them.

Gene pool? Not that it maters and if it does to you, you should go start a new gestapo SS race measuring tool. In any case Im a mutt, one of my bloods happens to be one of the most ancient races on this planet.
    Stfu and go away. Strike 2 for you too, strike 3 you will be ignored.

SMARTEST POST IN THIS THREAD. CONGRATS!!!! :)

In any case going down to 1T is not easy, I gave up on 1T years ago since many manufacturers dont even bother to list that in rated timings anymore. Last 1T memory I had was when BF2 came out so go figure. Not even the mushky I have now could do 1T.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Rofl, since Umad bro you drop down to insulting because you can't outsmart anyone. So because you are wrong and i am Right i am a gay fa*got?Congratulations on becoming a super troll. I might just try getting you banned.

Put me on the ignore list and see if I care, or you can keep entertaining people with your troll posts.

Oh, BTW Command rate is dependent on memory controller, not the ram. So even because my ram is rating for 2T, I can easily run 1T because I don't have an outdated system. Does that make Umad that you're wrong?

8. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    That's the point. If you do something this way and you get 'this' result, and then you do it in a different way and still get just the same result, why arguing this way is better or that way is better? Complete useless IMO

9. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    No im not mad cause you have a few newer components then me. Im just tired of wannabees like you trying to argue with me about something I know for a fact and so does any true old school hardware vet.
    As far as you running 1T, congrats, G-Skill is one of the few companies that are realeasing low cost low latency models, and if you got one that can do 1T congrats for you.
    The only one thats mad is you since someone outed you and now you want them banned :D Go ahead try and get me banned, Im already talking to a few mods here, none of them seem to be saying im doing anything wrong, in fact they are telling me their actions by moving some of my posts has nothing to do with me doing something wrong or right. They are just trying to prevent amd sintel flame wars.

You will now be added to ignore list.

10. Chadmin

Chadmin Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD6970
    This is a dumb question I know but how do you lower the command rate??

Also (You will now be added to ignore list) Must remember that line next time trouble and strife is pissing me off.Or not might just make this worse

:) Chadmin.

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    n0b0dy - since you wanted a sign from above you are now on a timeout for all the smack talk. Continue when the timeout lifts and you will be banned.

Everybody else - if you have a problem with someone else's post then use the 'report post' button rather than joining in with the name-calling.

12. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    I don´t think that Command Rate 1T is achievable with DDR2 RAM. I once had a DDR-600 memory kit from OCZ which could do that but it was unstable on my Athlon64 and Opteron cpus. But i could run Everest memory benchmarks which where all the way a LOT faster with that memory kit on DDR-600 than any DDR2 benchmark i have seen. My current cheap TeamElite DDR3-1333 RAM runs at 1T.

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Well my ocz ddr2 800 memory ran it without issue on my old striker II Formula 780i, the memory was rates at 4-4-4-12 1t and ran those clocks as long as only 2 of the 4 memory slots were filled, any more and it refused to do 1t. OCZ and asus also stated that they will not do 1t with all 4 slots used so it was a memory controller limitation I would have to conclude.

14. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    This post just shows what kind of place guru3d is at the moment and I'm seeing it more and more.

The guy asked a simple question and everyone jumps in waving theirs dicks about telling us how many years of "experience" they have and how they are right and everyone else is ****ing stupid for not having the same opinions and then even going as low as saying they have a higher IQ than others and as childish as saying "your not getting laid"

Utterly pathetic in my opinion, we are suppose to help people with questions not rant and swear at each other like idiots.

15. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    Check current set Command Rate of your memory with CPU-Z or similar tool. Then reboot to BIOS and set a lower Command Rate in the memory timings table.

Mine was set to 2T so i booted to BIOS and set it to 1T. Stable so far without any problems. :D

[​IMG]

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Nope, you aren't smart enough to know what command rate is. You need me to provide factual proof? Or you gonna ignore it?
    CMD rate allows you to select the delay between the assertion
    of the Chip Select signal till the time the memory controller starts
    sending commands to the memory bank. The lower the value, the sooner the
    memory controller can send commands out to the activated memory bank. Having 2 Dimms almost always allows to have 1T, unless it is a very cheap 4-layer pcb of dimm(which is only cheap generic ones) with a low signal to noise ratio. When you have 4 Dimms it puts more stress on the memory controller which usually requires to have 2T. Only very high quality ram and good memory controllers can do 1T with 4 Dimms. So if you think CMD rate is dependent on ram and not the memory controller, then why did my cheapo nanya memory run 1T on my last P55 platform? Oh wait, it's because it's dependent on the IMC.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh look - my cheap Corsair RAM can also do 1T..

[​IMG]

It would only frighten you, but here's a clue; Commodore64.
    I'm sure that doesn't mean anything to you as this is going back before your time.
    I guess you have no idea what sort of work Field Engineers do, but networking is the least of my concerns. We have a whole different dept. for that type of work, though occasionally I will do a network config.

*Yawn*. Sales and installation huh? *Yawn*. Is that for Best Buy or Wal-Mart?

Btw I'm not interested in seeing any pic's of you naked, so don't bother trying to PM me. If I receive any PM's from you they will be ignored and deleted.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  18. Saifz

Saifz Guest

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    Great thread...

anyways i ended up trying different timings (cl7 cl8) different voltages (1.5,1.6 and 1.65)
    and also different frequencies (1600+)

none of them really worked out.. all of em were unstable so i just gave up and went back to cl9 1333mhz 1T. I guess memory oc aint really worth the investment.

thanks for the answers anyways

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well if it helps at all I'm using 1.51v and the timings in the above screenshot. Not all ram will overclock the same though...:)

20. Chadmin

Chadmin Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD6970
    Thanks Bloke.
    1T for me as well
    All stable so far [crossed fingers lol]