IS it worth it to overclock memory?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Saifz, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Saifz

Saifz Guest

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    im currently running 9-9-9-24 @1333mhz 2x2gb gskill RAM

is it worth overclocking ram?

IF yes, then
    should i tighten timings (cas 8) or high frequency (1600) or do both?
    should i keep them in stock voltage (1.5v) or increase voltage?

do you see any performance boosts in games or any real world applications?
    (not talking about benchies)

i also heard that ram is a lot more prone to dying when oced true or nay?

2. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    you won't get huge gains like you do with CPU's or GPU's, but you will get tiny improvements (more noticeable in benhmarks than real life)

Also, tighter timings can be a better improvement over a faster clock

3. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    usually higher mhz is better then tighter timings when its like a difference between 8 or 9..however like mentioned the differences are probably never noticed in real life apps..just something to notice for benching etc. biggest improvements also mentioned are with cpu overclocks or gpu overclocks and the addition of an ssd vs mechanical hd..

4. Saifz

Saifz Guest

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    alright i guess trying tighter timings couldnt hurt

anyone know what is a quick memory benchmark i can use

5. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    Only time I would take the time consuming effort to not run @ SPD timings is if im ocing through fsb method and have to run ram at some weird clock divider, takes days to get the timings sweet spot like that.

Btw for benching memory sisoft sandra is alright.

For TESTING memory to make sure its stable use memtest86+ latest version

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  6. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
  7. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Faster clocks over tighter timings is my vote...

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I had to bring down clocks and voltages on my memory just to get a stable OC! And this is suppose to be enthusiast memory!

9. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    To each his own.
    Memory bandwith benchies favor faster clocks.
    Real world usage and system "snappyness" depend more on timings.

I vote for JEDEC standard clock speed with absolute min timings posible.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Not true.
    I guarantee my 1600Mhz with "slow" 9-9-9-24 will be faster than your 1066 with tighter timings, and have more bandwidth.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

11. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    And I say that unless you're using ECC memory (that will actually CORRECT a bitfault!), doing ANYTHING that might generate memory-corruption is an idea Berholt Stuttley Johnson might come up with. It is a good way to make sure files you save might contain corrupted data, all with correct checksums (since the corrupted data came from that one bit that was wrong, before the checksum was calculated).

//Svein

12. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB

lofl
    Do me a favor, stop responding to everyone of my posts with something negative just for the heck of it. Your getting annoying and im about to add your serotonin depleted mind to the ignore list so I can stop polluting my eyes.

Stop manipulating facts you canaiving little whiney snake.

No ones talking about my vs your memory. Freud would say you have a sub concious e-pipi grudge against me.
    Why cause I proved your wrong in almost every post we debated in?
    You only showed me one example of knowing something in this forum with the cat AI thread.
    As far as the rest of your posts im seeing ignorance and dirty manipulation of "facts"

Doh of course your DDR3 is faster then my DDR 2 congrats.
    Wanna bet someone with DDR 3 1600 mhz, nah not even 1600, lets say JEDEC 1333 mhz DDR 3 with CL 7 timings will be faster then yours?

Now before you go and show me a a memory bandwith benchmark comparing DDR 3 1333mhz cl7 vs DDR 1600 mhz CL 9. Ill repeat myself, bandwith benchmarks do indeed favor higher clock speeds. The timings favor general system "snappyness"

You truly are proving to me that you are the n00b, when I did indeed have some respect for you due to the catalyst AI thread, but now I have lost that and if you continue to polute responses towards me you will be ignored.

13. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    ECC memory? No offense, but I dont think the OP is worried about server memory.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You really should have quit before you dug yourself a hole you can't climb out of.
    You join up here like a week ago and have the balls to tell me you prove me wrong in every debate we've had? Nobody on this entire forum is going to fall for that nonsense.
    You have never proved me wrong, you just don't have the knowledge to do so.

We've never had any debate anyway, myself and others have tried to show you were you are mistaken and you refuse to accept it. That is not a "debate".
    At least 3 other people have corrected you and yet you claim they were all wrong as well.

Once again, I'm going to post a screenshot as evidence of your lack of hardware knowledge, and I don't want to hear any stories from you about why my proof isn't sufficient.
    Just accept your mistake and deal with it.
    [​IMG]

As anyone can plainly see you have been corrected yet again. No if's or buts...just deal with it. k?

END OF.

15. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    Sigh,
    You will now be added to ignore list. I already know benchmarks the higher speed DDR3 wins,your not showing me anything new...... I warned you not to post benchmarks, I was talking about timings and REAL WORLD peformance not a synthetic benchmark.
    Seriously, and dont lie little E head, what year did you first actually touch a computer? Your nothing but a wannabe and you continue to prove it with every post of your towards me. Any true gamer or enthusias would know tight timings are prefered to higher clock speeds.
    Get the broom out of your ass. Jeez I usually have no concerns with ppls nationality but seriously where are you from? You sound like a whiney pastey brit. Btw I see your a field engy, hardly qualifies you to argue with me on enthusiast class hardware or gaming let alone. Go fix a VPN router and leave the gaming talk to others, mmm kay ggg thx, I been in this game most likely longer then you. In fact im pretty sure the only reason your a field engy is cause your a good little burgouise E head and went to college....
    And you got your "degree", but yet again go fix a VPN router or setup a LAN. I have real world expeirence and been known about hardware was an enthusiast before I even decided to get a piece of paper saying im a hardware technician.

Now stfu already and leave the RAM timings and games discussions to those that actually know and have experience.

PS:Im trying to PM you this since I dont really need to brag but your list is full. Anyways, mr field engy who thinks he knows about gaming hardware.
    Let me let u know just a tiny bit of info, I have worked hardware sales for one of the biggest retail corporations on this planet. And have also setup hundreds of computers for a nations goverment social security office in their city branch, and in less then two weeks I had it done.....

So plz enlighten me on now many of your employees or subordinates ,if you even have any, what you have done or therefore had the workers do?........

My final point is, the IT industry has different branches, your area has nothing do do with enthusiast hardware or gaming period.

Theres an old saying in the enthusiast community for example, NEVER LET A PROGRAMMER TOUCH the inside of your boxes hardware.
    You may not be a programmer, but you hardly qualify to give gaming build advice. Like I said stick to your specialty which should be mainly networking.....

And one more thing concerning your little benchmark which is irrelevant and I already know, it doesnt show cmd rate which is THE most important timing, even more the CL. GG mmkay thx.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

16. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    And you proved my point, even if you didn't understand so yourself at the moment. Thanks. :)

//Svein

17. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI

Was that called for? makes you sound like quite the prick.

It says next to his name he's from NZ which last time I checked stood for New Zealand.

also why so much internet dick waving? no one will be impressed here.

On the ram matter he said he's not fussed about benchmarks and his ram has nice speed and timings already so my vote is to leave it as it is the real world performance he would gain would be minimal.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ddr3 memory speed is MUCH more important than memory timings. :nerd:

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Either you are dumb or a very good troll. Not sure which yet. You have ZERO idea about Ram timings, or anything regarding ram. Tighter timings does **** for games. NADA. Speed > better timings for synthetic and real world.

And who are you to say that you can talk about "Enthusiast" hardware?? You have outdated stuff in your system, weak stuff compared to many people. Rofl.

Oh, maybe you should construct educated sentences instead of that mess to atleast make you seem semi-intelligible.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    is this the dude that made a thread why everyone is so hostile to him? what a loser and a troll. enjoy your remaining time on the forums.