Is 5850 strong enough to run BF3 ultra settings?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gamer1291, Sep 30, 2011.

1. gamer1291

gamer1291 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX-GTX-1070-O8G
    Hi everyone i know everyone is very desperate to play bf 3 with their awesome rigs maxing out all settings at high resolution.

I just wanted to know if my 5850(940 core,1220 memory clock) is enough to run bf 3 max at 1080p with all eye candy if possible.

So far i am happy with my 5850 using 11.9 whql driver all my games run fine and well no issues or bugs no bsod`s and flickerings.

I wanted to buy 6xxx series but it wasnt a big performance difference if i buy a 6950 so i am waiting for 7xxx series.

Thank you all for your time in reading my post and your advice have a nice day.

2. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    I´m not sure, probably not enough for all eye candy but fur sure is fine for max resolution. I´m using a CFX of those HD5850 and the beta is working wonderfull with everithing maxed out and AAX4 so...

3. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    No it's not enough, at least regarding the actual beta and drivers. VRAM usage is insane, as well as GPU grunt needed at high res. A 6970 will give you ~30 fps average, and a GTX580 around 40 fps average. Antialiasing is particularly demanding as well and the 1GB VRAM of your 5850 won't be able to handle it at x4 with Ultra settings from the feedback of many users.
    Add to that the rumors saying DX11 effects aren't fully implemented (tesselation is supposedly missing in the beta), and that Ultra settings aren't complete and are in fact closer to High than the Ultra settings we'll have in the final game.
    If it's true, no single GPU card out ATM will be able to handle BF3 at max settings @ 1080p with decent framerate, and we'll have to wait for a new GPU gen.

Though, the game still looks pretty good on lower quality settings, and the changes are very subtle between two modes.

4. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    this! theirs no difference in fps from high to ultra meaning ultra is just high anyhow

5. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    I'm playing BF3's beta at 1920x1200 all maxed out, except AA, at a very comfortable FPS (eyeballing it somewhere between 30-50 FPS). I'm happy with a consistent average FPS of anywhere from 25 FPS and up.

So you might be able to max it out. Although if the "Ultra" settings in BF3 are not as demanding as the real "Ultra" settings you might be out of luck (and me too). Haven't seen much tessellation yet either.

- PR-0927

6. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    Im afraid this game is beast on your video card, I thought it would be more CPU dependant but its not, unlike BC2....

Im afraid to run BF3 maxed out and with AA your gonna need a high end dual gpu solution like a 5970/6990.

Personally im gonna wait a few months or untill 7xxx series are out and prices should drop on the 5xxx and 6xxx series even more.

7. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    No. I'm using a 5850 and I'm playing on low @ 1080p, I could probably up some settings but on low I maintain 60+fps which is more important to me.

8. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    Were talking ultra settings here dude ;) not low

What important is acheiving those 60 fps on ultra

9. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    He asked if the 5850 is "strong enough" to run BF3 on ultra, and I answered his question.

10. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    Yeah he asked if he can run on ultra settings.
    You answered his question by saying, yes you run yours on low

Am I missing something?

11. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Yes, yes you are. The "No", perhaps.

12. gamer1291

gamer1291 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX-GTX-1070-O8G
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys its sad to know my 5850 not being able to run ultra settings with smooth frames.

I wanted to crossfire my 5850 but then again 7xxx series are coming so it was not worth the upgrade.

I am waiting for 7xxx series till then i have to use my 5850 but i am not at all disappointed with this card its really the best card i ever had just wish if it was a little more future proof but ah well every card has its limit.

13. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    IF EA optimize their games properly instead of releasing beta buggy games to pc users then everything will run smooth and fine on current gpu technology. EA make buggy games as hell just to please their shareholders and investors. I dont have high hope for this game too judging from the past records of EA buggy achievements. I better wait for RAGE which look optimised to me.

14. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    EA are and always have been just publishers in suits and ties and are NOT the ones doing the coding of this game. Wanna blame someone blame DICE not EA. Well uhh technically DICE as devs belong to EA now, they bought them out a few years after BF2 launch.

15. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    one 5850 doesnt handle ULTRA,
    crossfire will do the trick,
    but ur cpu is to slow for this.

16. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB

His CPU should handle the game maxed out fine.

Alpha benchies realeased months ago already proved all you need is a decent quad CPU for this game. Money and effort should be spent on video card since it seems much more dependant on that.

17. marashz

marashz Member

GPU:
    Evga XC3 3080
  18. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Guest

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB