FAHClient V7.1.33 released (3rd Open-Beta)

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by iancook221188, Sep 21, 2011.

1. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    posted from the Folding Fourms

jcoffland

Beta Testers,

This release addresses many of the issues found during internal and beta testing. Some of the highlights of this release are improved GPU detection and support, improved networking communication, better OSX support and the addition of themes. There are many other minor tweaks and fixes which can be seen in the change logs below.

There is still much more work to do. Our next major goal is to get the v7 beta client ready to take over as the recommended download on the main Folding@home download page. We are hoping to achieve this by January, if not sooner. Before this will happen we plan to resolve all the tickets currently listed in the Open Beta Phase 2 milestone. To this end we, will be making more frequent open-beta releases over the next months.

Please continue to let us know which issues are most important to you. Our ticket triage is based mainly on three factors 1) severity, 2) implementation difficulty and 3) the importance to Folding@home donors. Although it's not always immediately obvious, your feedback is a huge factor in how we decide to allocate our development resources. The time you spend debugging and articulating your thoughts in these forums may not earn you folding points but improvements in the Folding@home software, which make it more effective, easier to use or just plain more fun, can have a huge impact on disease research.

Thank you for all your help thus far. Let's squash some bugs.

Joseph Coffland
    Folding@home Developer
    Cauldron Development LLC

link to download
    http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=19648&sid=602dba57e1bed23ce6ceeaa1a63caa7a

2. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    maybe a rather stupid question, but what would nbe the best way to install this? first uninstall other? first finish WU? Just a q :)

me

3. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    If your already using V7 just uninstall leave the DATA don't tick it when uninstalling and just install the new version it should pick up where your client left off..

if your not comfortable doing that way then wait for WU's to finish first easiest way is to right click each slot and select finish this will finish the fold and pause the slot

4. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    i've tried just reinstalling it with keeping the data, installed in same folder, but didn't pick up the data. So some advice : let it finish the wu's first.

Me

5. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    i think some where in the folding forums it said it best to un-install the old and install the new from fresh to keep some bug away

6. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    Well, in between all the install/reinstalling, COuld someone tell me wether it is needed to assign configutrations to the GPU slot to optimize it's folding? i've read about all the flags, but not sure wether i should add em to my GPU..

It's kina messy info out there, except for the "adding flags" by PantherX, but i can't find info on actually improving the gpu slot.

TY

7. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    With a fresh installation, in the installer, select SMP + GPU and that should automatically be very good.

Regarding the GPU optimization, since you are folding on a Nvidia Fermi, you don't really need it. Just make sure that you have correct drivers and that the GPU folds in 3D Clocks (via GPU -Z) and that's all you have to worry about (maybe the temperature if you want). The optimizations that you may have read about are mostly for ATI/AMD GPUs with FahCore_11.

Moreover, there is a possibility that you can throttle the GPU Usage in the future (this feature isn't available to the public yet and will not be released if it doesn't pass QA and other tests). Please note that there isn't any ETA so it will be released when announced.

Enjoy the V7 Beta :)

8. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    Well i've taken the liberty of adding an "advanced" to my gpu, and seems when i fold now, there isn't a way of driopping gpu usage, when i had a "regular one" i could throtle the gpu down with the "cpu-usage option", but no worries, i gonna update my nvidia drivers now to latest release, so i can test most of what i am capabe of :), this info will be posted in the other thread i've started regarding the drivers.

TY for info :)

9. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I've had problems with this WU project:7610 run:268 clone:0 gen:16 core:0xa4
    sofar it's caused 3 FahCore, running Unit 02, returned: UNKNOWN_ENUM (-1073741819 = 0xc0000005) errors but GPU folding has been stable so I've shut down SMP2 for now

10. Kaktus

Kaktus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Upgraded from V7.1.24 to V7.1.33 and my work unit also got lost.

But it's no biggie as i was a few updates behind..

Fold on.! :cheers:

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Is there an x64 beta I can only see the x86-32bit beta for Windows?

12. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    The V7 for 32 bit works on all windows platforms. You see what while the FahControl (the one that displays stats) is 32 bit, if you require 64 bit FahCore (the one that does all the folding), it will automatically get it for you. Good like beta testing [​IMG]

13. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    well other than that one bung WU everything seems to be working A OK so far

OK well everything was working OK but once again Core (always the SMP2) crash at end of WU causes this to happen

[​IMG]

multiple new WU's for no reason

the WU that finished and then crashed was returned OK but only after restarting PC then to find it had done the above ^ more WU's than GPU or SMP2 slots available :3eyes:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  14. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    mmm, weird issue, my thoughts : something went wrong with connecting to erver, so u got too much wu's at once or such.

The only thing i am having as a issue, when i reboot computer for any reason at all, when i start fahcontrol it states that the smp will be finished in a matter of minutes, while tpf is around 0.2 secs, but then after 15 minutes or so it has done some recalculations, and all goes to be ok, so just a "visual" issue

15. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    hey, i'm trying to add a gpu and now i can't add any. the only thing that shows up is that the "gpu index" has no default and is not set. thoughts?

16. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    fixed it by adding "gpu-index" to the advanced options.

17. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    yup I've had that too ppd of 9997003 for a GPU :3eyes: and same thing with SMP2 aswell:3eyes: with extremely low TPF's but after about 30mins it's all back to norm :)

18. Isbre

Isbre Guest

GPU:
    290X Matrix H2O
    Is it any way i could get the latest fah core (16?) which doubles performance on Radeon cards?

19. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Not sure about the "double performance" but you can get FahCore_16 once you installed the V7 Beta and configured it with client-type advanced.

20. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    When I installed 7.1.33 I didn't add the client-type advanced switch it did it on it's own or is it that it did this because I upgraded over the top of 7.1.24 and chose not to delete DATA....

he'll also need to make sure the driver version he's got installed also installed opencl aswell so 11.9 WHQL is the latest whql driver make sure you have that installed

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011