Which monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karl8, Sep 30, 2011.

1. karl8

karl8 Guest

GPU:
    Ati Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X
    Preliminary remark: English is not my language, so there will be mistakes

Which Monitor should I buy?

- only monitors available on www dot atelco dot de
    - FullHD
    - anti glare are preferred
    - ~100€

Could you explain something about LED, 5ms and technologies used in LCD? (TN, TFT, whats' better and whatever)

These shoulde be the availables models, I haven't been able to find notable differences between them, like vh22d and VW228N (they're identical to me).
    And I haven't understood in what differences consist when there are.

ASUS VW227D
    ASUS VW228N
    ASUS VH222D
    BenQ G2220HD
    Hanns.G HL225DBB
    iiyama ProLite E2008HDSV-B1
    ASUS VH222T
    HannsG HH221DP

2. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    If you can buy a DELL IPS monitor (DELL u2311h or u2312hm) from where you are then thats a good choice too :)

3. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
  4. karl8

karl8 Guest

GPU:
    It's cost 250€ :eek3::eek3:

So I should buy a TFT with LED backlight if I want better illumination/contrast?
    And possibily TN?

Which of the above screens is TFT/TN/LED ?

5. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    If yo read for example my post #22 in above quoted link you can goto a site where all is explaining about the difference between panels. Also here; http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/57485-29-tomshardware something you can read its not long. Also you never mentioned what you are gonna use that monitor for, CAD-CAM, Photo editing programs, video watching or games ed.
    As you mentioned that € 250 is to expensive then i guess you can not effort a higher class panel then a led panel gives the "best" of two worlds, its was the intention of filling up the gab of low and higher class panels, but recently the add those also into TN panels.
    Read as much as possible choosing a monitor is not easy if money, multiple tasking comes on your route. Also the higher class panels are not that great if it comes to input lag and reaction time, or you must having a lot of money and like you said € 250 is :gape: I didnt look into that specivic screen but if you want elliminated bad habits of those screen then need more then € 250

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  6. karl8

karl8 Guest

GPU:
    Yes, I've seen that IPS aren't good when it comes for games, which is my first field use.
    So I'll go for a TN (as you've stated all monitors are TN).

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Just pick a TN panel screen, biggest size you can afford and with inputs you need. They're all be pretty similar at that price mate :)

Edit: if you can squeeze in a LED backlit screen, go for it, slightly better than non LED screens. The difference is not massive by any means though. With a TN panel I would go for a height adjustable monitor maybe, just to make sure it sits level with your eyes. Otherwise you won't get uniform contrast throughout the screen.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  8. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Where did you read as i would say 'all monitors are TN'? ... I didn't say that or mean that because that is not true at all.

If you need a screen just for gaming and you can stretch you money amount get a LED screen like eclap is suggesting.
    Only i would not go for the biggest because your card get it heavy duty on those "biggest" one's. Better i smaller size and good spec's then otherwise around.
    Meaning if you have a high-end card its not an issue just I'm assuming at looking your rig, not completed and having a 'crappy one' PSU like you saying at your own. I guess you dont have a huge video card and you want to play games still, so that's why i say dont go for the biggest screen but look more at the specs of it. Anyway look always to the spec's and brand and RMA against pixels issue policy too. I mean there are more things to look after if you dont have many money its a compromise so then go for the best for your money and what is suited best for your use. A great RMA is very very nice if you dont have the money to replace a hardware in case the seller given you a hard time.

9. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    i understand that you cant afford it, but for future reference, ips monitors are perfectly fine for gaming. and yes for fps as well. i own 2 different models of dell monitors (one u2311h and one u2711) and they are both beautiful monitors for gaming.

10. karl8

karl8 Guest

GPU:
    If I can spend only 100€ in a monitor, it will be a TN, right?

The computer which will use this monitor, will be a whole new one, infact I'll take these 3 refurbished:
    CM Scout 57 €
    CM 550 GX 45€
    CM Hyper 212+ 17€

The problem is that I don't understend monitor's spec: it's fine when it comes for vga, psu and so on, but as I've never bought a monitor (all "free" and "as it is"), I don't know anything...

11. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Ok lets face it......!!

Here you saying I'M have stated all monitors are TN right? yes you are....

Then i asking why you saying that in here;
    Then you come up with the suggestive quote of i would say all in one breath;
    I really dont understand why you put words in my mouth which are not true, anyway i lookup at that quote, which apparently shuffle up to my plate, at google. And it comes from the site i was given to you in early post as some reading stuff. I can't be hold responsible for this forum or other forums, people, quote's, post or neither of what is said/ saying by others, period....
    Here is that sentence;
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/57485-29-tomshardware
    post 2 of jaguarskx. SO i start to help you and again dont put words in my mouth or i will quit help for future as well.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  12. jaydeee

jaydeee Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 7600GT
    I personally like LG, Samsung and Dell monitors.

13. karl8

karl8 Guest

GPU:
    Uhm I don't understand why you are so angry...

If I've understood correctly you're jaguarskx (by that "If yo read for example my post #22" and jaguarskx has writtend that thing about 99% of cheap monitor are TN.

14. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Nope im not angry, yet.. I wait if you came up with a reply as you doing now.
    I never intended or was saying im jaguarskx in the first place and still not because i aren't him.
    What i did say and implemented was you starting a thread and HamsterCrispy started already the same recently thread as well.
    So i was given to you, in this (your) thread a link to it and was post number #3
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4111758&postcount=3

After your post #4 in your own thread i was guessing reading your question's you missed my post or some post in HamsterCrispy thread.
    SO in my post #5 in your thread i referring again to it by saying;
    Thats why i was given again for example my post number #22 in HamsterCrispy thread referring as above quoted link . For answers as asked by you many questions which are fine but a lot are already been answered.

So i hope i clear up all now and i hope too we can stop this annoying back and forward nothing to do replies, i just dont want to been associated with others or comments which are not coming from me and such. You clear up your misunderstanding and i thank you for the time for it, which is social so we can face each other for the next time. :thumbup:

15. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Well € 100 is big suppressing amount value of buying a monitor if its will be a new one. Other words its almost impossible maybe in discount or in that order.
    I looked into your cpu and about how hungry it is when it comes to power drawing against you wanted psu. It is fine if you taking into account your next purchase of your graphics card and his power drawing.

I have a site in my language which are testing a lot of stuff and such well it is from 2009 maybe, if its not your language, you can copying the sentence in your translation tool. Maybe its helpful anyway.
    http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/1579/vergelijkingstest-20-monitoren-van-20-inch-en-groter

The best i can advise right now comparing to your amount of money is to find the monitors you can afford and what is available at your country/ shop/ seller and report it here if you want some advise of it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

16. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Ok, to make some things clear, LED is just the backlight. Not the panel technology.
    LED instead of tubes.
    TN, while ok for gaming, suffers from a narrow viewpoint. If you look at it slightly from the side, it changes color.
    English isn't the OP's native language i think, and when he said "all panels are TN", what i think he meant was that all the monitors in his pricerange, are TN.
    Not that Bohi2_OGU said that all monitors ever made are TN. (At least that is what i could understand.)

17. karl8

karl8 Guest

GPU:
    The available monitors are:
    ASUS VE208D
    ASUS VE208N
    Hanns.G HL225DBB 21,5"
    ASUS VE228H
    ASUS VH222D
    ASUS VW227D
    BenQ G2220HD
    Samsung SyncMaster B2230N
    ASUS VH222T
    Hanns-G HA222DPB
    Samsung SyncMaster B2230H 119€
    LG FLATRON W2240T-PN 22" 119€
    ASUS VW227D 99€

(When not specified, price is 111-115€)

The computer will be something like:
    - case: CM Scout *** 57€
    - psu: CM 550GX *** 45€
    - cooler: CM Hyper 212+ *** 17€
    - cpu: i5 2400 or AMD Bulldozer, depending on how bad or good they will be 100-150 €
    - mobo: depending on cpu choice 50-70 €
    - RAM: 2x2 GiB Corsair XMS 3 1600 CAS 9-9-9-24 25€
    - hd: Samsung F3 500 GiB 0€
    - vga: for now nVidia 8800GT, with a switch next year to nVidia 650-660 or AMD 7770-7878 120-160€
    - NO Sli/Crossfire

The project is to do a system the cheapest possible but capable of use 2 different generations of cpu.

***: these items from CM cannot be changed as they're refurbished version, in order to spend the least.
    Any other item would cost more for less performances.

18. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    whoow you put a lot of monitors as option into the air....:wanker:
    Ok i search all of them in a dutch site which can be compared on a same window;
    http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo...7039;105643;68951;105951;120222;113706;116096

You can use copy paste the words into a translation tool like google for the right explanation of your native language.

Things to consider for the elimination to get reduce them of a max value of 3 monitors this;

* look at that ratio of 16:1 or 16:9 here you can see and calculate the difference of view 16:1 is great to view movie's and for future of them but its not great of text applications because the viewable size is less then 16:9
    http://www.tvcalculator.com/

* The higher the resolution is meaning great for the clearance of things you see projected on your screen. But its is also reducing the FPS in games if your 1 or more hardware in your system is not fast in comparing to the demanding upcoming and current games. This is also applies for screen size and/ or resolution and a combination of them.

* HDMI is not necessary needed because in those selected monitors the resolution can easy management with DVI cables. However there is a difference between those cables; DVI-I or DVD-D both can be single or dual
    link the best option is to choose for DVI-I dual.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...7019&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_UKEN
    Some of your monitors you selected has only a VGA (analogue) connector!!
    I have a resolution of 1400 x 1050 and can be used with vga and DVI-I dual and the difference on both connection is huge so it doesnt matter in what the resolution the monitor is.

* Pixel size you have to look at too, the higher is great for text the lower the value is good for photo addicting and drawing applications. Movie's and games its not a important thing to consider.

* Look at the duration of warranty duration or pixel issues the higher the more you have some secured of RMA. But remember it is saying nothing about the standard what is chosen or what is called pixel value dysfunction here more about it;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2
    1 year warranty or 3 years its says more or less of the manufacturer is convinced of the product and you are then too then to secure your wallet.. if you dont have much money after all.

* (Manufacturer Statement) Contrast is the ratio between the brightest white and the darkest black that a monitor can produce. Note: the various monitor manufacturers in this field exaggerating to an art form.
    So exceptional values you can ignore...

* LED screen is great to watch at to but here they are very new at the moment, i mean the release date of your selected.

I hope i explain the best for now in not my native language anyway i do my best, feel free to ask if not all clear at me or others here, of course i'm not born with wisdom.
    Like i said before choosing a monitor is difficult in all ways, application use, hardware specs, monitor specs, money, personal preference and all i forgot more to mention

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  19. Anaksulnamun

Anaksulnamun Member

GPU:
    Onboard 64Mb
    http://www.digitalversus.com/monitors-article-923.html
    Read it my friend
    In summary ...
    1. TFT and TN is the same, if ya want to play game, a 2ms response time is a must :) (since 2ms is 2ms lag, and 5ms will transfer to ~15ms lagging (~2fps) :))
    2. A 23" HannGs is cheap, and good for full-HD content

20. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Really?
    Nope TFT and LCD are mentioned as same.... but TN or IPS and more.... is the name of the technology what is used.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

Also that ms story is fictive 2ms it says gtg (grey to grey) and for 5ms it says btb (black to black) can be used by manufactures so in general its wrong to say its faster. A 5 ms monitor can be faster then a 2 ms one, there are more values what can be influence the performance input lag is one of them. It takes longer for a pixel to go from black to black then grey to grey, so by them saying just 2ms and discretely hiding the gtg wording. OOh well one way or the other you dont mention the difference.

so 8 ms = 8*10^-3 = 8/1000

so 80 fps gives is 80*0,008 = 0,64

so theoretical loss of 0,64 frames
    Now you can calculate the rest of it and compare and see the difference, your reaction time is way slower.
    But the fps is given as 80 fps most of us have Vsync enabled for getting 60 of the refresh rate or having less the that without v-sync. So what will be lost is more less then that.