Catalyst 11.10 Preview - Special Battlefield 3 Driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kcuestag, Sep 26, 2011.

1. snowyy

snowyy Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780 GTX /w ACX
    In the alpha i had 40-60 FPS (30-60% usage), now i get 80-160 FPS (99% usage) with 11.10 preview.

To me it looks like this driver scale like it shud, but it cud prob get a little better.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    The problem with Battlefield 3 is not really with these drivers as even Nvidia users are having similar issues which makes me think that theirs a bug in the beta.

3. jesyjames02

jesyjames02 Guest

GPU:
    6950 Crossfire 2gb
    No.. I'd like a blue-screen. It just reboots. Does yours happen on the map loading?

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator/status/118755609138040832

Can anyone confirm this whether this is the source of most problems with BF3?
    He basically says 11.8 CAP4 shouldn't be used along with this driver (and probably that leaked CAP5 too), and use only the one included in 11.10 Preview's driver package (or future CAP releases after 11.10 Preview release).

5. bart5986

bart5986 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 290x OC
    I doubt most of us have installed old CAPS after installing 10.10....

I doubt its that.

6. kpoz

kpoz Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M
    I ran the Catalyst 11.10 update, and my GPU's driver version number under Windows 7 is now 8.901.0. I thought this meant that my driver didn't update, which I why I searched out this forum.

Another thread on this forum has a modded 11.10 driver, and the download file reads as follows: AMD Catalyst 11.10 Preview (8.901.0).

So, here is what I would like to know: Did the Catalyst 11.10 update work for me? Again, Windows 7 says my driver version is 8.901.0. Does it need to say 11.10, or did it update correctly?

Thanks in advance!

7. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    What CAP is Catalyst Creator referring too.

There is no cap with the preview driver. Link?

8. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I uninstalled the profile I had and the situation got better but it still crashing after 10min of play. It seems like a memory leak.

9. Isbre

Isbre Guest

GPU:
    290X Matrix H2O
    He must mean that all the latest profiles is in the 11.10 preview driver package

10. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Trust me, I know what I'm talking about, I know how the Alpha was running, and I know how the BETA runs.

You are not getting as much FPS as you could with proper drivers, once you get proper scale (99% gpu usage does not mean 99% scale.. sometimes there's negative scale too, you know.) I am sure you will get A LOT more fps, probably a nice 30-50% increase. :)

I have tried it in the Metro map with my 6970's in the same place everything maxed out;

1 6970 -> 54fps
    2 6970 -> 74fps (It should be up to 100fps with proper scale)

1 6970 -> 110 fps
    2 6970 -> 140fps (It should be at least 200fps with proper scale)

Either ways, I am satisfied with the performance, except some places of Caspian Border where my 2nd GPU usage drops to 50% and then my fps drops to like 45fps in the "D" flag of Caspian Border, will probably be fixed with new drivers. :)

We could get a lot more FPS with some proper drivers. :biggun:

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    More likely to be the game rather than drivers...it is a beta after all.

Yes, those are the 11.10 drivers.

12. kpoz

kpoz Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M
    Thanks!

13. krishnarama108

krishnarama108 Guest

GPU:
    asus ati 5850 1gb 850mhz
    i mean overclocking CPU /fsb / ram....
    i read yur rig and yu all guys have OC on cpu...undervolted OC on cpu is most common cause of BSOD/or hard restart especialy heavy load like bf3 / bfbc2...try running orthos or prime
    i was 1 step lower on vcore and occasioanly i got bsod on games... i raise it and no more bsods, but it can be vcore it can be fsb volt./northbridge volt , ddrvolt.... :)
    second thing it can bi driver / software conflicts.. like msi afterburner and other hw tools causing bsod in bfbc2...

14. guy_uoft

guy_uoft Active Member

You have NO IDEA what you're talking about. You think "proper scaling" should be 1:1 correlation between hardware number and performance? Where on earth did you get that idea from?

The general expected performance increase from multi-gpu scaling has never been 100%, the few games that achieve that are marked exceptions.

15. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    The AMD 6000 series have an almost 99% perfect scale with proper drivers, in CROSSFIRE.

I'm not talking about Tri-fire here like in your case. ;)

It may not be 99%, but it is always at least a 80% scale in the 6000 series in games, and i am not seeing anything above a 40% scale.

16. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    I'm getting very good scaling and FPS's with my tri-fire setup. (5970+5850). But I'm getting some annoying flickering in outdoor environments in BF3 and black horizontal lines popping up on the screen.

Indoor environment, things seem good.

17. BuBBle.D

BuBBle.D Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    I know its OT, but since its about BF3 i might just ask here:

Where do i change the graphic settings in the beta? When in game, i dont see any options.

As far as performance goes i am having no issues at all. Game runs great(80-200FPS(latter indoors)), but i think this will change once i crank up the settings. Great set of drivers.

18. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Do you get any ridiculous FPS Drops in Caspian Border at the "D" flag?

Because I do, while my friends with other cards from AMD in Crossfire dont...

I think I need new drivers to solve that. :p

19. BahamutxD

BahamutxD Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4070Ti
    As soon as I start loading a map, I can't get to see the loading screen at all.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    In SOME games.

Really it depends on both the game and resolution from what I've seen.
    Even when the 6xxx CF cards did show good scaling it wasn't until 2560x1600 resolution, and in a couple of games there was no improvement at all over single cards.

Expecting 80% scaling in every game is just wishful thinking...