GeForce 285.38 BETA (Battlefield 3 Driver)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by asder00, Sep 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    the point is choice, if you want to use V-Sync use it, if you want to use a frame limiter use that
    options are good

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Same here. Never had any problems installing NVIDIA drivers this way since they revamped the installer with the 256 set (I think because I was using ATI HD 5870 CFX at that time). I always choose Custom Install and deselect the two 3D components since I don't use them and have no interest in 3D either for that matter (I can't see it anyway; I just get headaches if I try).

These drivers seem to be as excellent as any of the previous drivers which I also had very few issues with. The only ones I can think of are the DX performance/crash to the desktop issues with Dragon Age II. Everything else has been working great, not that I expected anything else I've always found NVIDIA drivers to be consistently reliable.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yes it works fine this way, but the drawback if you dont uninstall them is that windows backs them up (to system 32/driverstore folder). So for every 10 drivers you dont uninstall, it adds about 1gb files to your windows drive.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Can that folder be cleaned btw?

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

It has 1Gb of crap in there.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Well these are protected backups. But I used to delete the Nvidia drivers left over when I didnt uninstall them. I had to change permissions/ownership to do that though. Its just too time consuming to do it to many items, plus you never know when some critical ones may be needed by the system later on.

6. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    I get the flickering as well. Sporadic.

7. SteelPillow

SteelPillow Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 8GB (MSI)
    I can confirm that. I had Nvidia cards for ages and didn't have any serious problems or issues so far (mostly using WHQL)
    Just with latest driver versions I noticed following:
    From 280.26 above there is a "driver stopped responding..." bug (didn't tried 285.38 yet)
    From version 275.33 above there are problems with Iracing (lock-ups shortly on track, followed by occasionally stuttering)

So now I'm sticked back with 270.61 WHQL for now, waiting for next WHQL release.
    At this point Iracing running smooth at full details again, no driver stopped responding errors, DeusEX HR stuttering was reduced a lot by game patch itself and everything runs perfectly as anytime before. Also need to say I have installed a lot of games (old/latest) and only one causing freezes - F12010, but it's a Codemaster's engine issue I belive, regarding a lot of posts under their forums, also it is here for a long time. F12011 and DIRT3 users have those issues currently too. Maight be related to drivers though anyway.

Other then listed above, I can remember only a few issues, like brightness config wasn't stored with some beta drivers, but it was when drivers was called "forceware" back theese days ;o) ..Oh and BFBC2 Flickering not too long ago, but fixed with next release. Hard to remember about anything else for years.

Not sure what happend with latest two WHQL driver versions: 275.33 / 280.26 (285.27 beta included) but something went wrong certainly ;o)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  8. SUnSpot

SUnSpot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI gaming 970 4GB
    its to bad people got so many issues with drivers. One thing I learned tough is to keep track of what driver I used on what game(I put the driver install files in the root of the game folder so I can change back if Im gona play a game that obviously have issues with the current driver(like crysis2 with the 285.27betas).

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

yes they fixed this with 285.xx

i was one of the unlucky ones, both Dirt2 and 3 crashing, well not anymore :) at least something.

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Hmm, ye. I guess you're right. And 1 Gb isn't much when you got 240Gb of SSD :p

11. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well the TDR's driver has stopped responding and has recovered are back. Got a hard lock that required a cold boot to clear just running windows index. Reverting back to the 275.33 cures the issues, so for me it is all the 28x.xx line of drivers that exhibit this problem so far.

Like to point out I have no overclocks cpu or gpu. Rock stable with any driver 27x.xx or before.

Can't wait until Oct's driver when ManualG said this should be addressed. Until then I think I will stay with the 275.33's as they are rock stable.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    For me only the 280's had it. You could try to disable LSPM (Link State Power Management) in Power Options.

Disabling that didn't had effect for me with the 280's tho, but it did solves issues in the past.

I have yet to encounter issues with 285.38.

13. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'll try a re install of the 285.38's tonight and try what you suggest but don't think it will help. It is believed to be a p state issue from what I have read. Which is supposed to be resolved in an upcoming driver.

Thank you though.

14. Mersonix

Mersonix Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 550m
    After installing the notebook version of the drivers I get no response from my laptop (lenovo y470) when using the optimus switch. I'm also averaging 25fps on lowest settings in bf3 with my i7 2730qm, 8gb ram, and my 550m, which is low. The game auto detects to a mix of medium and high.

Any ideas?

15. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    460/560 series are more prone to that (rely more on the driver), i was surprised you saw it with your 580gtx and 280.xx.. Well i never had it, ok apart from this P-state bug in adaptive apps., like FF.. but now with 285.xx its under control again.

16. AmigaWolf

AmigaWolf Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    Aha thank you for explaining that, now i know what they mean with frame rate
    limiter.

Thanks.

17. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    <3 my 120hz Viewsonic LCD. No tearing ever again.

18. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Count me in to exactly the same. The lock-ups ( plain black screen for 2 secs ). 285.38 now and still here.

Generally, only with 280.x drivers. The increased randomly GPU utilization at least has been fixed. Only this now.

19. Laz0r

Laz0r Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580
    I was using these and was unhappy with the smoothness so I switched back to 275.89 and I must say that 275.89 is the best driver I have used by far. It is just SO smooth and responsive, I would recommend some of you guys try it.

20. eddieveenstra

eddieveenstra Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780@1150MHz
    This driver (and earlier) has an issue with ënhance AA in F1 2011. Not working and crashing when i choose app control and ingame 8QCSAA. Game just crashes. No problems with 16CSAA.