Handling large files fills up my ram

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chejo, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Chejo

Chejo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060
    Whenever I do anything with a large file (copy, open archive, etc.) my ram slowly fills to around 98% and everything slows down to a crawl. I tried the same files on other computers, but that doesn't happen there. I also tried reformatting my computer. That didn't work ether. Is there any solution to this?

2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Post a task manager screenshot of processes tab sorted by mem usage when this event occurs

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What he said, and also, get more ram?

4. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Very rare that you would hit 98% of 4GB in the first place!

5. Chejo

Chejo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060
    Here is the screenshot.
    [​IMG]

6. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Happened to me aswell.. But my problem was an antivirus set to realtime scanning..

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ummmm....are you gaming, browsing the web and editing files at the same time?

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    This... I also see 6 chrome instances..

9. TERRABYTEONE

TERRABYTEONE Guest

GPU:
    32g
    in task manager.. when this happens show us a pic of performance tab(shows ram+cpus)

You can test if is the anti virus by temporary disabling it via tray icon)

also turn off (in avast) real time file shield.. off=scan when writing(i turn this off its not needed slow things down) (expert settings)

with avast . recommend also(from clean install v6.xx) when installing turn of sandbox+ behaver shield..

also after installed.. in expert setting turn of sandbox in file shiled(above)

+ turn off auto update of main program(if it does this it install it again).. just leave the small auto updates

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I can verify this, as long as you're moving something like 20 GB, Windows seem to like to fill up the RAM to absurd percentage of RAM (assuming a memory leak here). It also fills up 8 GB of my RAM from time-to-time.

deltatux

11. Chejo

Chejo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060
    Tried turning off Avast, no effect. Here is screenshot of the performance tab.
    [​IMG]

12. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    How big is your pagefile?

Also, the 8 Chrome instances running alongside games can't help.

13. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    9 chrome instances.

@OP

The tasks in your task manager add up to a bit over half a gigabyte of used memory. Something else is using it. I've got 6GB of memory, with ~500mb used by tasks listed in the task manager (Firefox open...). 24% of total memory is used, which leaves

0.24 x 6000 - 500 = less than 1GB for that "something else". In your case, that's 3.5GB. Over 2.5GB more is utilized than should be. To me, it sounds like Windows is bugging.

I would recommend this: go to msconfig and choose "Diagnostic startup". Then go to safe mode, try copying large files and see if the problem persists. If not, go back to msconfig and choose "Selective startup", and check the box "Load system services" and uncheck the box "Load startup items". Then reboot to safe mode and repeat the experiment. If the problem is not there, go back to msconfig and start enabling the startup items in the Startup tab one by one, testing and rebooting between each of them. This allows you to systematically find out which process is responsible for the problem.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    62 processes running...36 on mine with nothing running...42 max w/3 windows open...
    I am very picky about what runs when not needed...

15. destroyah3034

destroyah3034 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD7950 3GB
    This problem sounds like the infamous Windows disk cache bug. Affects everything that needs to read lots from disk. Windows thinks it needs to fill up ram. You can do this by running a torrent program with many large torrents downloading.

Or just keep Firefox or Chrome open for a couple of hours and you'll end up with the same thing, because of memory leaks.

16. Chejo

Chejo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060
    Even in Safe Mode with Diagnostic mode enabled my ram fills.

17. TERRABYTEONE

TERRABYTEONE Guest

GPU:
    32g
    hi

using vista or win 7, it loads up + uses 2.5-3g ram.. not much left from 4g, you need 2-2.5g for games, + 1g for multi browsers... depends pon whats runing.. the o/s will use page file(hdd) as ram...

18. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    windows will use less ram if you have less ram though.

@OP - is that screenshot accurate? because its not quite adding up to 4gb... cant really tell whats hogging your ram from that.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  19. Chejo

Chejo Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060
    That is precisely my problem. I can't see where it is going so I can close that process.

20. destroyah3034

destroyah3034 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD7950 3GB
    I already mentioned where it is going: the disk cache that windows allocates for file transfers. All documentation states that the max is 8 MB with LargeDiskCache disabled but in my own experience, windows will take as much as it wants, thus slowing down the system greatly since it starts dumping to the page file instead.

Microsoft does not see this as a problem, since I have reported the issue to them in the past. Most people would agree with them that inefficiently using up all their ram is good, since it is making use of all those gigabytes of ram they have installed on their machines. The problem affected my previous main build with 8 gigs as well.