Very slow performance evga gtx550 ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Flakk, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Okay i know my PC is old, but i just wanted to buy a new video card to be able to play upcoming games this fall.

I will be building a new PC in 2012, but right now i cant because im saving for a new car and this video card is the only thing I could afford.

Here is what i did:
    Uninstalled old drivers of my 8600GT, rebooted then turned off pc.
    Then installed new video card, booted and installed the latest drivers from nvidia.

at first everything seemed fine, i was on my native resolution (1680x1050). I ran FEAR3 and it ran horribly! even worse than my 8600GT! which is very weird.

I tried CoD MW2 same thing, Crysis and crysis 2 same thing, very slow performance even slower than my 8600GT.
    Even video files and movies run very very slow (and sometimes dont render at all)
    Firefox runs reaaallly slow, switching tabs takes a lifetime.

one thing made things better is changing the Adjust image settings with preview, it was set at Quality so I set it to performance and firefox now runs smooth and low resolution videos work again. But still High res video dont work at all, (1 FPS).

Edit: Just tried UT2004 and it ran like a slideshow!

Now i understand that my CPU is a bottleneck, but i didn't expect this performance at all! I did my research well before buying the card and lots of people have this card combined with CPU similar to mine (some better some worse, dual core and the like) checked lots of feedback on newegg and amazon from users like me who were happy with this card.

Is this a driver problem ? what did i do wrong ? and help would be really appreciated cause i really regret buying this card in the first place, but to be honest i didn't know i was gonna get this performance.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    GTX550 Ti is a mid/low GPU and your CPU should handle it just fine, strange.

Is the CPU overlocked? What's CPU temperature? Did you check CPU usage in task manager?

3. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    CPU is not overclocked, its at stock frequency 2.66ghz. CPU usage was 100% when i tried crysis and crysis 2.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Crysis is extremely GPU bound, what usage are you getting (GPU) while ingame? Beside that what resolution are you using?

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    actually, crysis needs a fair bit of cpu grunt too.

i went from a 1090t at 4ghz (with gtx580) to a 2600k at 4.5ghz (with 560ti soc), framerate jumped from 45fps to 85fps with the same settings. this is running at 1080p.

@OP - did you uninstall old drivers before installing new drivers? how old is your power supply and how many amps is the 12V rail rated at (i've never heard of that brand PSU). also check what the temps are at. cards will throttle down if theyre overheating (could be poor gpu to heatsink contact), and they also wont run properly if underpowered.

6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    E6750/GTX550 Ti/4GB Ram...Should blaze through MW2 @ 60+fps...What are your temps!!!...I remember when my cpu cooler came loose on one side I lost a lot of power...WEI score went to 5.5 for cpu...temps went to 90+...Fastened cooler back...Fixed everything...BTW...does socket 1155 fasten like 775...Hope not...

7. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    GPU was 98 During Crysis and i was trying 1680x1050 resolution because its my native res. Some games if i go lower than that the performance would degrade more.

Okay i did something that somehow may have fixed things but im still not sure.
    I uninstalled the nvidia HD audio driver and rebooted.
    And now most of my older games run really smooth, plus videos and Firefox have improved. So now i am sure it is a Driver problem, but newer games are still very slow, probably i have to reinstall them i dont know.
    Assasins Creed with settings all set to low and i still get like 9fps.

8. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Yes ofc I did uninstall old drivers.
    PSU is 1 year old and the 12v rail is rated at 54 amps (on the box its written +12v1,+12v2,+12v3,+12v4 under each is 18amps, as I recall 650/12v=54amps right ?) I asked here before I got the PSU and i was told it was really good.
    From http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763
    Temps are during games CPU is 60 max and GPU 61max.
    CPU Idle : 40, GPU 34

Now as I said in my previous post, I uninstalled the Nvidia HD audio driver and many older games that used run slowly now run very smoothly. Example Trackmania used to run at very low settings 10fps, now its runs 60FPS on very high settings.

But for newer games i cant figure out how to solve the problem, FEAR3 is running well on native res and max graphics (around 29fps) which is better than the slideshow before i uninstalled the HD audio driver

Thanks alot for your responses, anymore help is very appreciated.

9. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    Do a clean intsall of the nvidia drivers. You can check that when you start installation. Install only the video driver. Install afterburner from MSI. Check your clocks when in 3D mode, maybe your card remains downclocked as in desktop mode.

10. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    I checked clocks in GPU-z During games, Its running at maximum clock.

Also how can i do a clean install of my drivers? Is Guru3d driver sweeper still supported ? any recommended programs ?

11. joe87

joe87 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 660 2GB
    clean install ur windows. maybe it should fix ur problem

12. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    if gtx 550ti has stock clock (reference version or OC version) then do NOT downclock from stock!! :thumbdown

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    he talked about P8-state (low3d freq.)...:infinity:

@ thread starter

did you remove 3dvision driver too?

14. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Yes i removed that, no change. Still many games run very choppy and slowly, even some older ones.

15. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    ^
    what did you do when it installed windows HDMI audio driver, did you disable all 4 in device manager?

16. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    No i didnt disable the windows HDMI audio drivers, i let them install. Should i disable them too ?

17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    yes worth a try, i have them disabled too..

[​IMG]

18. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    I disabled them and got a good boost in some of the games that used to run slowly. AC Brotherhood now runs very smoothly at max graphics and res. But the weird thing is that older games like UT2004 and Trackmania run at choppy rates (30fps and below). They improved when i disabled the HDMI audio but they shouldnt be like this.

What do you suggest? Should I reinstall windows ?
    Clean install + latest nvidia driver only (no HDMI audio and 3D)

19. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    u can select the "custom installation" when starting the setup of the drivers.
    There u get a checkbox that says "clean install" hope it helped ya

20. loop29

loop29 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Hmmm, your hardware seems fine from my Point of View. Temps are average and not going to high so I recon that either something is missing or the nvidia driver you installed screws up your system somehow.
    It´s defenitely a software problem.
    So here is what I recommend you to do:

1. Get rid of everything nvidia driver related and choose a different driver set. For me and a lot of others the latest beta driver release (285.27) seems to be the best choice right now. See Thread in nvidia driver section in this forum.

2. Before you install the new nvidia driver, get the latest chipset driver release for your chipset: Intel Download Center

And then see how things workout from this point. I believe driver sweeper isn´t needed anymore since the nvidia driver installation procedure seems to remove everything quite good when you update. Never had a single problem with nvidia driver installation since I moved to Windows 7.

All the best