Windows 8 secure boot to complicate installation of other operating systems

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

OS News reports Windows 8's new secure boot process may potentially complicate the installation of other operating systems like previous versions of Windows and Linux: Microsoft requires OEMs that...

More...

2. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Bad news!

After all the Apple bashing for their evil deeds lately. It's almost refreshingly nice to see MS hasn't lost their touch in limiting what you can do with your machine.

3. johnny_h

johnny_h Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 480
    I didn't get the article much(might have been above me) but it's just a boot loader, at the very worst, you can install Linux onto another physical drive and choose what drive to boot off when you want to switch.

But surely you can still get inbetween bootladers like Acronis OS Selector that will then give you the option to load the Win8 bootloader or linux one?

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Yeah, like it wouldn't be hacked within a week.

5. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Yeah, I really think this is a non-issue. Sure, perhaps for the general masses this would limit what they do with their machines, but then again they wouldn't be doing anything like this in the first place. As for the rest of us, I'm fairly confident we can figure it all out.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Secure boot is a part of the UEFI 2.3.1 spec and it's optional for the OEM to include support for it.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Only if you set a third party boot loader manually into the boot selection screen.

I have 7, WDP, and Snow Leopard all on one hard drive, three different partitions. Normally, Snow Leopards partition is first and to boot into Snow Leopard and keep custom drivers, kexts, and kernels for OsX to work on my machine, I have to have Chameleon boot loader. In that boot loader, I can select my Snow Leopard, or Windows partitions. I also manually added Snow Leopard into the boot loader of Windows 7, so I can go back into the Chameleon boot loader easily. Since Windows Developer preview's boot loader takes charge no matter what partition number is it, this gets rid of Chameleon bootloader as first choice, despite the boot loader being on the first and beginning of the partition. So now in order for me to boot into my Snow Leopard partition, I have to first boot into my Windows 7 partition. I edited it with BCDedit, and since Windows Developer Preview is highly based off of 7 right now, I assume BCDedit is in Windows Developer preview too.

Bottom line what I'm saying, in order to get into other boot loaders you have to manually put them in either Windows 7 boot loader, or make it easy and put it in Windows Developer Previews boot loader. Basically, you're loading a boot loader to get into another boot loader.

8. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Interesting, thanks for the information.

9. johnny_h

johnny_h Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Lol, it is a bit weird to load a boot loader to get into a boot loader, but it's a decent solution.

Anyway, surely there's no way that Windows Developer Preview's boot loader takes charge no matter what you do. As much as I understand it, it's only doing so because you installed it last. So it was last to change the mbr to make it the default boot loader. Can't you just make Chameleon the default loader again, and in Chameleon you add another entry for the partition that contains the WDP boot loader so you still have everything, but Chameleon is the default loader again?