Microsoft urges companies to dump Windows XP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

In an new post on the official Windows blog site Microsoft's Stephen L Rose stated that there are two big reasons for leaving Windows XP behind. One of them is of course the fact that there is a new...

More...

2. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    i feel quicker and more productive with XP but prefer the aesthetics of wnidows 7

3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
  4. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    What Microsoft does not realize is that most companies use tools that work with Windows XP and not the new versions of Windows. As long as these tools are not available on the new OS the businesses will most likely NOT upgrade. Though another problem arises even if the tools are available......that is how much it will cost for companies to upgrade those tools / systems / maintenance. To be honest when Microsoft seem to speak their mind on something like this i always feel that they do not look at the whole picture.

5. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Reason 1) Because we love robbing your asses every other year.

And yeah, not all companies put forth the investment. Hell most companies have old PCs slower than netbooks.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    That's not MS problem if those tools don't work in a new OS. Maybe people should get away underneat from that ancient rock and move on.

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    That is the most reasonable reason.

Shame microsoft isn't that honest to say it.

8. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Its not MS problem but it is a reason why they don't fully migrate to new OS for their desktops and OSes. Some ancient and large companies that leading the world like banks, logisitcs etc still use ancient machine or programs because the program couldn't run on the new OS. And this is why people try to find a solution on legacy program support.

Its not about being a cheap ass and not spending the money.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    well all these companies have until april 2014 when xp reaches EOL. then they wont have any other option but to move to another os. weather with be win7 or win8

10. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Well, 2014 is a long time...:3

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Companies urged to inject more cash into Microsoft.

12. Andrés

Andrés Guest

If it ain't broken don't fix it.

13. iako

iako Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
    lol @ no mention of Vista... (the win7 beta :p)

14. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    ^^ This

I have apps that will not play nice with Vista or 7 so my business will still be using XP on its core systems.

15. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    my work place just switch from ms-dos to windows xp on the registers in November.

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well technically Windows XP is broken since inception lol. Requiring some applications run from an Administrator account breaks Least User Access (LUA) principles.

Windows, prior to Vista has been lacking a lot in terms of security. I've migrated all my machines from XP when Vista SP1 hit since it fixed almost all the performance issues in the first service pack.

Even with Vista and 7, a lot of security stuff that's found in UNIX type systems like a strong MAC system is no where to be found from what I've checked.

Microsoft needs to remember that most companies don't care about running the latest software (look at Sony, most of the software they were running were not even close to being up to date which help cause security breaches left and right) and some companies don't think that the investment of redeploying Windows until the system are replaced is worth it since running a major new version of a software must be thoroughly tested to conform with a company's security policy and procedures.

Personally, I'd say get rid of Windows XP completely, but since that won't happen, I'll get a job in the future because companies almost never do prevention, but always do things after sh!t hits the fan.

Hell, at McDonald's Canada, all their current point of sales terminals are running Dell hardware w/ a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz CPU, running Windows 2000 and running a POS software written by IBM (which is really piss poor and a pain to use). Running Windows 2000 is already a big no-no, yet there's no plans for McDonald's to upgrade the POS to run Windows XP Embedded or Windows 7 in the near future.

deltatux

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  17. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    W7 is excellent, but XP still rocks.

18. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    The school I worked as a IT Tech in a few years back and help out during summers just switched from XP to 7 and binned the last P4 era PC, all are running either Core 2 Duo's or I5 Sandybridge 2400's. My uni has just switched to Win 7 aswell now over the summer.

19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    you cant make money off that :p

20. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    XP is outdated, slower, and swiss cheese as far as security goes. It's not Microsoft's fault if companies are running ancient software. It's time for those companies to update, and to improve their efficiency and productivity as a result. Besides, this isn't really up for debate - once 2014 rolls around these companies are more or less forced to change over. (although many will be idiots and not do so... more security breaches will occur and it's not Microsoft's fault either).