FPS Limiter with Nvidia's Next Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MfA, Sep 9, 2011.

1. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
  2. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Awesome news! Hope we see a new driver release pretty soon!

3. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    it's bad! but you must enable VSYNC (vertical syncronization) to avoid too fast and to remove tearing!!

4. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX470 SC @ 780/1620
    nah, vsync also give input lag which isnt playable for fast FPS or racing games. But there is already a good FPS limiter since a while ( bandicam ) I use it for almost all my games and it works perfectly

5. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    That's why triple buffering exists, to regain lost fps and kill the latency.
    That's why everyone uses d3doverrider:

6. boOzy

boOzy Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon R290
    Dxtory can do this also.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    KingpinZero; Why should Nvidia require that people use a 3rd-party program to get similar results, when they are offering now to implement an alternate way into the drivers? Besides, vsync requires you to have enough frames ingame to reach your refresh rate, otherwise performance deteriorates. Frame limiting allows you to pick, so if I only get 40-50 fps in a game I could limit it to 40 or so. I'm pumped for it.

8. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    OMG, THIS IS *AWESOME* NEWS!!!!!!

BTW:
    Some of you apparently don't get it. This is more than just a substitute for v-sync. Some people would prefer a framerate that doesn't fluctuate between too wide a range in FPS; we don't care about high fps, we care about consistent minimum fps.

In other words, I run many games with supersampling or downsampling, and high max fps is not a problem; But I cannot consistently maintain EXACTLY 60 fps with vsync on through any gaming session. Sandbox games/RPGs with indoor and outdoor environments are a good example (ie; Fallout 3). Indoor FPS never deviates from constant 60, but outdoor fps fluctuates, and the framerate changes are impossible not to notice.

I would much rather have smooth fps, regardless of what the number is. Limiting the framerate to 30, for example (similar to consoles) would be a good solution; 30 fps is just fine for my eyes, and the gameplay experience would be 100% smooth through ALL situations no matter how large the environment is or how much stuff is happening on-screen.

Bottom line: An FPS limiter would allow you to play any game without your FPS changing by even one number throughout an entire gameplay session.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  9. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    don't see a point in it

10. Wanny

Wanny Guest

nope useful for people that doesnt want Vsync but still want to reduce stress on GPU (limit fps)

I can see myself using it a lot !

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Great addition, will definitely be something i use, maybe not often as there aren't many games that don't tear with vsync off, but handy to have, especially for multiplayer gamers.

A solid 60fps is always going to look better than 60-100fps, well it will on a 60hz screen.

12. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning

:bang::bang::bang::bang:

13. benqbiggis

benqbiggis Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 580
    crap thing

i hate games with fps limited

fps limited = console = bad gameplay

its the same thing of having a lamborghini capped to run at 60km\h

14. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    It doesnt kill the latency only lowers it. Totally unacceptable for fps games (online).

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No it doesn't lol.

Having a choppy framerate = bad gameplay

Throwing more than 60fps at a 60hz screen is pointless, and it looks awful most of the time.

16. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    It's one more option to play. If you don't like it don't use it.

This option can virtually turn every game playable, as long as you get 30 fps min.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    That's your opinion, D3D override TB options good enough for the issue. I do alot of fps gaming online and D3D override is what i use when I wanna use vsync on to get rid of tearing so I dont have the con of vsync at the cost of stoping tearing.

I never had any latency issue while even using D3D over ride triple Buffering as I never had it effect my aiming or get me killed more like I be doing the killing. Which why I dont buy it unacceptable for FPS games online with D3D override force Triple buffering enabled.

The FPS limiter as another option for people who dont like Vsync at all even with forced TB thru D3D over ride.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  18. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Triple buffered vSync in Direct3D actually increases latency. The more frames/buffers rendered ahead, the more latency is introduced.

FPS limiter will not eliminate tearing by itself, but it should have other uses, such as minimizing input lag and reducing load temperatures.

19. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    this is pretty good, If I know a game is doing say 65-85 fps all the time I cap it at 60 and I will be awarded by smooth play, sounds great to me as Ive allways hated vsync, it almost allways gave me issues with amd, not so much with nvidia.

20. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    AMD (issues) -> videocard!?? but AMD - bad but yes ATi. AMD - CPU; ATi - videocard.