OS recommendations.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Jimbo13, Sep 5, 2011.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

First of all, disable UAC!

The problem with deleting files is a USER issue, in that the user has stuffed around or followed bad advice regarding things like Windows services, there's a lot of wrong information out there.

In all likelihood, the service 'Application Experience' has been disabled. This will prevent you from deleting .exe files for ages. It would have only been disabled by user action or a third party app which is crap! If its the latter, then who knows what else has been stuffed around with!

2. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    In reality, you should never have to disable UAC, or run extra programs that further elevate your privileges while running Windows 7. If you are having these kinds of issues (especially with 100% compatible programs, like Steam), then your installation is severely FUBAR'd, and you should consider running some sort of bootable hardware diagnostic (read: Hiren's), just to make sure the problems aren't caused by a flaky HDD or something.

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Whoa, this is the first time I've read people with issues with their OS. Yes, Windows 7 does lock the files. If the files you're deleting can't be deleted even with a UAC elevation, that means you're trying to most likely delete a system-dependent file. If so, why are you trying to delete that? I've never had issues with Windows 7 tbh.

Windows XP is dead to me, I only use them in VMs because they're full of security holes and design flaws (whippie!)

Btw, the way Steam is programmed, it actually shares full ownership rights of the Steam folder with anyone that's deemed as an Administrator on the account, it shouldn't lock any files.

This sounds like a PEBKAC thing more than a Windows error tbh.

deltatux

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I was thinking the same...(I've been there myself :p)

Aside from the "undeletable files" quirk, security settings in Win7 can be a PITA I agree, but knowing how it works can make things a lot less complicated...

All in all it's a great OS...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

5. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    ok jimbo try this
    1.- do a full format so u can install constumize after doing this
    after u format imediatly open a cmd with administrator rights
    then in the cmd type this

net user administrator /active:yes

once its done, log off, and select the ADMINISTRATOR account, this account is a hidden account for full rights on win7, just delete the other account that you wont be using, and change the name if you like of the new administrator account,

install apps, games, customize and tweak, and enjoy win7 like a boss.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You don't need to format to enable the admin account, it can be done via GPEDIT.
    Simply enable the account then reboot in safe mode, and voilĂ  - there will be 2 user accounts on the login screen..

7. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    While I agree that some of what has been posted can work around the issues that Jimbo has been experiencing, the fact remains that the majority of said issues SHOULD NOT be happening in the first place. I stand by my recommendation of running a hardware diagnostic and reformatting after replacing any flaky hardware. Don't bother installing any programs to elevate privileges. Don't bother disabling UAC (first, I've watched it stop trojans, second, MacOS and Linux both ask for your admin password whenever you do something that would prompt Windows for UAC, so you're still getting off easy). Just reinstall Windows 7 and don't break your registry this time.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

UAC isn't a bad thing, it prevents people who don't know what they are doing from making mistakes (thats the intention). Its safe to turn off.

Once turned off, you should have pretty much full reign of the computer, as long as you don't disable the Application Experience service like I mentioned earlier, or make other bad system changes. If you hadn't disabled it yourself, I suggest a tweak or other app disabled that service, in which case its crap and should not be used.

The majority of Windows 7 tweaking tips out there are either basic, wrong (like disabling the 'Application Experience' service, or the 'Superfetch' service, or 'Windows Search' feature (not the service - the service can be disabled), or other tweaks which have absolutely 0 effect, and are either listed in the registry for compatibility or are there now because some program added it because it worked on Windows 95 (or 98, XP etc).

Another issue with applications is things like Firewalls, most software firewalls are pains - and people block things from accessing the internet that they need. The main purpose of a firewall is to block incoming threats, not outgoing ones. If you have outgoing threats, the AV and antimalware program that they're sometimes part of should have picked it up in the first place.

Another bad piece of advice is to not use an antivirus (I don't mean some dodgy one either). Viruses etc and other malware may cause issues like you have. People saying 'I've never had a virus so don't need an antivirus' wouldn't know if they have a virus, they probably blame ATI drivers or some other program for their woes. Use something like Avast Free, or even Microsoft Security Essentials! (its definitely better than none, or a token free one like ClamAV or Comodo AV) - and run a scan using Malwarebytes antimalware. Superantispyware isn't bad either, but the free version still installs the services and drivers associated with the paid version, so in that regard the free version isn't as good as the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

If you want to play 16-bit dos games under Win 7 x64, you need to use something like Dosbox (an emulator). You shouldn't have problems with most other games on a system that hasn't been f***** around with! - and worst case scenario you can run it in 'Windows XP compatibility mode'. But I'm guessing you disabled that feature of Windows too! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011