Corsair H60 or Air?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sverek, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Mike V

Mike V Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor
    Where do you find the silver arrow in Belgium? The shops i go to don't have it.

You obviously have never heard a Hercules flying over your head. What a comparison. I assume you haven't used/heard a H60 either.

2. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    It was obviously sarcasm however, the H60 may not be terribly loud BUT it's a heck of a lot louder at full tilt than a Silver Arrow is at full tilt (as it's pretty much silent), i know as i've had both.

I upgraded my H60 to the cheaper, quiter and cooler Silver Arrow about a month or so ago. As much as i liked the design of the H60 (so small around the CPU) it's just not worth the money IMO, i had mine for around 2 and a half weeks before i sold it (as soon as i saw the SA available at Scan).

3. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    Bah, i can't even hear my H50 using Scythe S-Flex 1600RPM fans and cooling is damn good for what it is.
    So i don't know what you were doing wrong.

4. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080

5. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Thermalright Silver Arrow. Why? Because it's near silent even when its fans are running at their maximum speed, because it costs less than 54 € and because anything that cools better is suffering from a random combination of the following:

1. Overexpensiveness (the added performance doesn't justify the price gap)
    2. Loudness (the Lockheed C-130 Hercules type of noise doesn't justify the added cooling performance)

Even though I don't use the Silver Arrow myself, I recommended it to a friend of mine and he couldn't be any happier with it. However, personally I would prefer getting a wide enough case that would allow me to fit in the Thermalright Archon instead, in push pull (that friend of mine insisted on keeping his old Antec 1200 case, so the Archon wasn't an option for him).

Recommended fans for the Archon are two Thermalright TY-140 fans (one of these is already included in the price, so all you have to do is buy one extra). Or, if you're willing to spend up to a total of maybe 75 €, you could also sell the included TY-140 fan and then just buy a pair of these: http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/slip-stream-140-pwm-adjustable.html

6. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Err, so do you use the Silver Arrow or not...?

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    How long could I expect Silver Arrow to last? Also consider dust getting stack between plates and open case. Possible cleaning maintenance once in 3-6 months.

Also, I don't care much about loudness. I never had coolers being noticeable(even though they are on max) when having headphones on or even using speakers.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  8. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
  9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Those are openiso too.

10. Mike V

Mike V Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor
    If the fan of the H60 is at full speed all the the time it is loud indeed. No argument there. But why would one run it at full speed all the time? Mine never runs full speed unless i use a stress testing program.

It's a pwm fan for a reason. Both my fans run at 900rpm when idle. When gaming the cpu stays below 50°c most of the time and the fans rpm don't increase much. My idle temps don't change with fans on full speed or low speed.

I could get the Silver Arrow for €3 less.(have to order from outside the country though so that would make it more expensive actually). No difference in price really.

About that sarcasm: it's hard to accept sarcasm from someone who uses a Medion laptop and keeps commenting about noise and heat. All his friends seem to have good hardware though.

11. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Not any longer than a Hyper 212+. Trust me, if you don't even care about noise much (not that 212+ is loud at all) it's all you need and if you plan to upgrade to Ivy Bridge it will cool that perfectly well too. No need to pay 2-3 times more

12. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    No actually they are not.
    They are test results from someone trustworthy. Someone that knows how to conduct tests and has no need to justify the purchase they made.

To the OP
    Just buy the water cooler and be done with it. I know you want it.

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Good post.

Regarding the H50, the previous build of the H60 and the closest in design specs.

14. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Each time I visit that friend of mine, yes of course. Do you?

You can expect it to be a good long term investment. If you use a soft brush to gently remove the dust you won't be damaging the fins easily.

Like I said, if you don't care about noise I highly recommend the Thermalright Archon with two 1700 rpm Scythe 140 mm fans (either the Slip Stream 140 mm Kazemaru2 or the one I linked in my previous post), or perhaps even the 1900 rpm version of the Scythe Slip Stream 140 mm Kazemaru2. However, the Archon measures 170.25 mm in height so you really need a wide enough case for it. It doesn't block any RAM slots, though. And it cools better than the Silver Arrow.
    My point was the TY-140 fans are built for silence so if noise under load is not a problem, use the higher rpm 140 mm fans such as the ones I mentioned. Seriously, it cools better on the Archon.

I'm a programmer. I use a laptop and a netbook simply because a high end desktop isn't required nor convenient for what I do. That doesn't mean I don't do my research on current hardware of course. Being sarcastic is just part of the world I live in, I get to fix too many people's problems to not be sarcastic. I actually only have one friend who uses good hardware (the clients I work for are not my friends).

15. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

16. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    What? You're the one being confusing you know. You were asked what cooler you use and why. You said Thermalright Silver Arrow. Then you said you don't use it yourself. You can't both use it and not. That your friend has that cooler obviously doesn't mean you use that cooler.

If you just wanted to say you have some first hand experience with the cooler why not say so?

17. Mike V

Mike V Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor
    Your job is irrelevant. I don't need my desktop for my job either.

Again, could you please tell me where your friend got his Silver Arrow in Belgium?

I honestly want to know where they sell this thing in Belgium. I can't find it at my trusted shops.

18. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    water cooling is known to operate best under low airflow since you already have the huge surface area of all the radiator fins all you really need to do is remove heatpockets.
    Really don't use 2000RPM fans on these things totally not worth it.

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I recommend the H60, and then get a couple of Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1450rpm to save on noise and use them in push>pull.

That dualcore CPU will be ice cold with this setup :) And will allow for some strong overclocking results too ;)

The stock fans on these units are simply terrible, yeah they are designed for these kind of coolers and they do have great airflow and static pressure but the Scythe GT's have all of the above and are virtually silent even at 12v.

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I have x6 Coolermaster SickleFlow 2000rpm fans on my triple rad and they work great. Literally silent at 12v and have great static pressure too :)

I think anything over 2k rpm would be unnecessary, static pressure is far more important with any type of rad.