MLAA? No thanks, FXAA please

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ziddy123, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    No matter what version I try, what I do, every single game crashes that is dx9. Can not get anything to work in dx10/11. dx10/11 games dont crash. Nothing happens when I hit my pause key either.

2. AcceleratorX

AcceleratorX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti OC
    Not to spoil the party, but one thing that really strikes me about both MLAA and FSAA is that if these AA techniques had been the norm five years ago, the Radeon HD 2900 XT (and 3870) may have stood a far better chance against the GeForce 8800 GTX ;)

(Somebody should do FXAA benches with those cards to see how they are doing w.r.t the 8800s).

It's odd that the world moves towards post processing based AA when just a few years ago it was frowned upon and hardware AA resolve was always preferred - it probably still is, but I guess it won't be long before FXAA and MLAA or similar techniqes catch up in terms of quality.....

So what does that mean for the ROPs with dedicated hardware for resolving AA?

3. heltonxl

heltonxl Banned

GPU:
    HD 5850
    tested in warhammer space marine , good results, smoooth some edges with a little blur, anyone with a setting please post for comparison, im using the defaulty fxaa by some dude 10.

4. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    IMHO, post processing AA will never catch up in terms of quality as long as SSAA is around. I don't understand why AMD and Nvidia doesn't take more time to provide support for SSAA and downsampling when we have enthusiast hardware that can handle it easily.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I wonder why anyone would use MLAA or FXAA in Oblivion. AA worked great even with my old X1800 XT in Oblivion.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Because it looks better with obge? and because a lot has changed in 4 or so years and catalyst drivers don't natively support AA in oblivion anymore due to incompatibilities.

7. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Incorrect. AMD drivers still support AA in Oblivion. I run it with SSAA all the time. The only way AA wouldn't work in Oblivion is if you're using OBGE.

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

No, it's hit and miss. AA frequently get's broken using catalyst control centre, quite a few threads about it on google if you want to search but I've also discussed this issue a few time on these forums and last time I bothered even trying was around the catalyst 11.2-11.5 dates. I prefer using OBGE as it looks 'much better' than only having the option to enable msaa through ccc; when it works.

Here's another thread about it.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=342656

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/320226-oblivion-aa-and-catalyst-113/

http://www.gamefallout.com/amd-catalyst-drivers-breaks-t82444-25.html

Oh and fwiw, obge/obse work fine with forced aa through CCC, here's a pic of 8xaa forced through ccc with obse/obge running (notice the all natural reference in console and obge dof). The only problem is that when aa does work through ccc it crashes to desktop soon after, the exact same issue nvidia drivers had last time I checked when running my gtx 295.

[​IMG]

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2061/oblivion201109031523391.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011
  9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    So which is it? Do the drivers not natively support AA + HDR in Oblivion? Or is it a hit/miss? Because last I checked, AMD has never "officially" removed AA support from their drivers.

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I don't remember using the word "officially" in any of my posts, I wonder where you quoted it from :)

ps. AA+HDR? that's like 4 years ago, I don't use aa or HDR either from the ingame settings or forced through CCC, OBGE takes care of all that.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011

11. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I never said you claimed it was officially removed, you only said it wasn't natively supported ( which again, is incorrect, unless specified by AMD ).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  12. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

By natively I was refering to from within the driver's control panel, which I have already shown to be correct, just because AMD say something works doen't mean it always does.

13. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    You're right, just because AMD says one thing, that doesn't mean that's how it is. However, AMD does support AA in Oblivion. The simple fact there were isolated driver versions that did not allow AA to function properly does not mean that it's not supported by AMD. This is what's known as a driver issue.

14. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Well I think we're talking semantics now but yes you are correct in saying that it's officialy supported, but if a feature isn't working as advertised on a regular basis or causes other anomolies/carshes then I tend to consider it as non-functioning and recommend not using it if you can get the same or better results without needing to use it, which was my original point.

15. fez

fez Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6700XT