Thinking of moving to nVidia

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by nakquada, Aug 29, 2011.

1. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    This may seem to be the case, but it wasn't. I did a lot of research before buying the cards, however it was impossible to get a straight answer from anyone who had a similar setup. Either people don't notice the micro-stutter or it doesn't happen for some people.

Arh!

2. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE

Thanks for the advice, I already had the shaders unlocked on both cards, but didnt make changes to the memory as I've heard nothing but bad news from people who have done it - (perma damage, etc)

Even with the shaders unlocked it's still pretty crap! I always have SSAO, HBAO, AA and AF disabled

3. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    if you have the money go nvidia but you may also wait for new drivers on ATI !

4. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Look at my sig. I am close to your setup except for triple screen. I am thinking about triple screen later as I have no space for it.

I would do as others say - unlock the 2x 6950s but keep it at stock voltage to keep the fans quiet.

Also, you singled out COD and Deux EX. COD has some little stuttering even in my setup. It is part of the game until I disabled PB and it was way smoother.

Deux EX is known to cap the FPS. I don't have this game but on the game forum, you can read what others say.

I have NO MS for source, HL Doom3, UT3 engine games at 8xEQAA. Most games I can run at 16xEQAA. I am sighting my AA settings as higher load to match your triple screens since I am only at 1920x1080.

In fact, I start getting low FPS/lag only in Doom 3 with hires textures, and sikkmod (HDR) with all options on or GTA4 with SSAA and enbmod maxed out. If I use MLAA on GTA4, I get well over 60-80 FPS. I have not tried FXAA which may be nearly free AA for low gpu hit.

I think you should try a bunch of other games with your triple screens, 16xAF and then use 2xEQAA or MLAA or FXAA and see if you get better performance. If you have FPS to spare, start increasing your AA settings up a notch.

There are lots of people who have issues with some games, but most games run fine and you should test those to see if you still want to keep or give up the triple screens.

If you really don't like it, I would recommend you sell off all 3 monitors and get a 30" 2560x1600 res screen instead. No multiscreen issue but more resolution and size. IT will not be as good as triple screen but better than what most people have! :D

5. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Thanks for your reply Valken,

I have tried many many games, and they all seem to suffer similar problems, with the exception of older titles that run with very high fps, so that the MS is not noticeable. If I disable the 3 screens and keep only one screen i get FANTASTIC performance with the 2 cards. 120+ fps in Bad Company, smooth as silk, no stutter.

It's just apparent that eyefinity + crossfire is a no-no.

6. Gavatron

Gavatron Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6850 @1ghz
    I used to get all kinds of microstutter in games (BC2 + witcher 2 mainly) with multiple setups.. I got fed up and spent a good few days reinstalling windows and running thru VonDach's optimization and dpc latency fixes.

found here http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=327922

Ever since sorting out windows timings, trimming down services and disabling things like superfetch, indexing and readyboost (all were using the hard drive in some way during game use) I've had no microstuttering in any game and now currently top the 3dmark scores for my cpu/gpu set up.
    It may not be your fix but it definately increased perfomance for my setup greatly and reduced if not removed microstutter completely.

Good luck and I hope you dont have to blow any more cash in hope that nvidia is any better :p

7. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I cant notice microstutter honestly. I tried triple monitor before, I didnt like it for too long. It felt weird in some games. I decided to buy a single nice screen and I cant be happier with that. 30" monitor + IPS + 2560x1600 = awesome.

8. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    I have a fairly good spec machine, and have my windows 7 install pretty much streamlined. I've tried endless tweaks with no joy.

9. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    even if i've been a mad tweaker back in the dos/win95/98 days i mostly advice you not to temper with windows 7, not that you couldn't get some little boost here and there, but for the most part the settings are much better untouched.
    i tried many things from prefetch, services trimming, core parking and whatnot, even if sometimes i noticed a very small increase each and everytime i had a loss somewhere else if not an error sometimes later.

my advice would be to let you windows installation clean, but use a nice freeware called GameBooster.

it does mostly the same thing, turn off useless services and programs to free up RAM and CPU cycle, but at the clic of a button or a reboot everything turn back as normal. this way you have most of the benefit without any of the drawbacks.

i tried it on my htpc and on a P4 back in the day, it'll not make u gain tons of FPS, but it defenetly make a difference on stuttering.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  10. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I love these threads. You move to Nvidia and will run into problems. My advice, just be simple, if you have a card you game well, leave things where it be. You can also just build a secondary rig and use nvidia for that one.

11. Tyrael-D3

Tyrael-D3 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 XT
    are your 6950's 1GB vram?
    if so sell 1 now, when 7xxx series come out grab the 7990 +7950 and xfire them, then sell the remaining 6950 = WIN

if they are 2GB vram then you could A)sell one 6950 and replace that with a 6990 or B) see above ^

It seems right now there are problems with badwidth on the bridge which gives the microstuttering...
    when you have the 6990 doing all the work, the 6950 really compliments the 6990 and doesnt produce a high amount of traffic on the bridge.

do your monitors have DP's or are you using dvi ports?

PS has anyone wondered why no 11.9 "preview" drivers released yet :) hint hint

12. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    They're 2GB cards.

1 is sold already, didnt take long for someone to snap it up!

So left with one card now. Single 6990 sounds good though!

13. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    Well, in fact Nvidia is better because of their hardware monitoring implementation, to remove micro-stutter completely you have to avoid any hardware polling (including framerate) on AMD cards.

The HPET On + "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" help a lot too.

I'm out-of-date with my threads currently but read the last months posts in this one and you'll know more: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/1273328-performance-tweaks.html

;)

Also I will not recommend disabling services anymore, except maybe for Windows Search and Firewall (if behind good router), because some do improve smoothness of play, I think particularly of not turning off:
    Application Experience
    Diagnostic Policy Service
    Program Compatibility Assistant

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  14. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I have to echo Von Dach's recommendation for the HPET on and hardware timer. I made this one change and my windows loads a LOT faster from a cold boot. Everything seems a little "snappier' in windows at least.

My OS is a basic install with bare minimums. No other tweaks except for Radeon Pro and turning off indexing.

15. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Don't waste your money and marbles...

Experiment with your drivers/profiles as you are only suffering from a driver issue and I'm guessing not with all games... the green team has the same issues as us, no one game is specifically designed for one type or brand of hardware I'm sorry to say.

11.7 preview drivers with 11.6_cap3 profiles here, gets me thru all games at the moment and I play everything.

-smc

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't think grass is much greener on other side. Maybe it will fix some issues, but I don't think you'll be completely free of problems. And it will be shame to spend 800$ only to find out there different problems you need to face.

it also depends on developers and engine, how well they support sli / crossfire.

Recall Witcher 2 release built.

17. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Thanks for the advice lads,

I already decided to stick to team Red and keep a single 6950 and wait for something with a bit more oomph to come along in the coming months.

Regards

18. Tyrael-D3

Tyrael-D3 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 XT
    if the 7xxx series has GCN then id bet that 1 single 7990 will do a good job with eyfinity.
    right now the 6990 is just not....enough lol

19. zpaf

zpaf Active Member

GPU:
    HD7970
    As you said the key for no MS is high fps.
    But you must have 120+ fps in bfbc2 with three monitor not one.

20. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    crossfire suffers from a lot MS...you can experience it from 0 - 9999 fps...with no reason...

sli supports more games with less bugs...because of worse scaling...

sometimes better scaling doesn't mean smoother gaming...

if you cannot live with it on half games you own, move to nvidia...better multiple monitor support, 3d support and 3d surround...

what else you could wish for anyway...

in 2011, only somebody who can't afford buying gtx580 should consider 6970hd...

whoever is a smarta$$ telling it doesn't worth the difference...

3x580 3gb > 2x6990 in every single game...:)