Nvidia AA guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GanjaStar, Jan 16, 2011.

1. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi

With driver 280.19 installed Half-Life 2 has some new flags, but with these AA no longer works:

Ambient Occluision compatibility - 0x08926B60 (Half-Life 2)

Anti Alisiasing compatibility - 0x00550037 (Half-Life 2)

Odd vales but they they dont help, any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    guys, since i'm rookie about antialiasing stuff, i would like to know few things:

1) which setting has bigger performance hit, 8x csaa or 8x?

2) which supersample setting should i choose with 8x csaa or with 8x?

i hope you will help me out with this ;)

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    1. 8xQ (8xMS) has the biggest hit.

2. Your call...

4. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    so it means that simple 8x = 8xQ (i use latest nvidia driver), right? and that 8x csaa has smaller performance hit than 8x?

regarding super sample, i read that not every super sample setting works with every antialiasing. so that's why i asked wich one to choose.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    8x = 8x CSAA, 8xQ = 8x MSAA. 8xQ has the biggest hit.

If you mean transparency supersampling it works with both modes afaik.

Tbh you'd have far more options available by using Inspector..:)

6. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    but if 8x csaa = 8x, why do i have option in nvidia control panel antialiasing to choose between 8x csaa and 8x if it's the same? it doesn't make sense. it must be some difference.

yes, i mean about transparency supersampling. which one should i choose with 4x or 8x csaa or 8x antialiasing?

;)

7. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    as of 275.xx they changed the naming scheme

8xQAA is now plain 8xAA (8xmsaa)

8xCSAA is what it is 4xmsaa + 4coverage samples.

Choosing TrAA doesn't matter all should work ok; multi sampling aa, super sampling aa, 2xssaa, 4xssaa, 8xssaa

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  8. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    so it is like this:

4x AA < 8x CSAA < 8x AA right?

regarding transparency antialiasing supersampling does it mean i can choose whatever i want, no matter what antialiasing i use?

9. Amo_rphis

Amo_rphis New Member

GPU:
    GB GTX 580
    Hi,
    Can someone help me with a World of Tanks flag.:nerd:

10. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Been trying profiles on the new HOMM 6 demo, but getting nowhere really. Forcing some of the existing profiles for deferred rendering just makes the game black screen and artifact strangely. Some of the UE3 profiles make AA work but also make a lot of objects transparent or disappear. Anyone have success?

11. JimBobb

JimBobb Guest

World of Tanks supports already In-Game AA

12. syklonis

syklonis Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 MSI Trio
    Just because games support in game AA, it surely doesn't mean we don't want to tinker and get an even better picture with forced AA.

That being said..

Anyone find working AA flags for Dues EX. The ones in previous pages for the beta release do not work on retail release. Although FXAA in the game does a nice job, it still really blurs the game. I prefer a sharp picture with smooth edging :)

13. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    is there a difference between injectfxaa10 and in game fxaa(high) @DXHR ? injectfxaa should have a sharpen filter in addition.. i dont have the game yet to try by myself..

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Actually you just described normal 4xMSAA. 4xMSAA takes 4 coverage samples and 4 colour/Z/stencil samples, obviously. You don't add them, the point is the amount of samples which is four. The whole point of CSAA is to to decouple those so that it can take less colour/Z/stencil samples but more coverage samples and save memory bandwidth and need of memory.

4xMSAA: 4 colour/Z/stencil samples and 4 coverage samples.
    8xCSAA: 4 colour/Z/stencil samples and 8 coverage samples
    16xCSAA: 4 colour/Z/stencil samples and 16 coverage samples.
    8xMSAA: 8 colour/Z/stencil samples and 8 coverage samples.
    16xQCSAA: 8 colour/Z/stencil samples and 16 coverage samples.

Harr, harr, harr! I like nitpicking!

15. Psycho101

Psycho101 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    Actually, as he stated "4xMSAA and 4 coverage samples, he's correct too.

It goes without saying that 4xMSAA is 4 coverage and 4 colour/z/Stensil samples. The 4 CV samples TheHunter states are in addition to those that must by default be contained with in the 4xMSAA component, therefore making "4xMSAA + 4 CV samples" a perfectly correct statement.

He's also using the exact same way of describing CSAA as nVidia Inspector does, not mentioning the CV samples in the MSAA component (no need to) and simply stating the MSAA level plus any additional CV samples.

:nerd:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    ^
    yea hehe i double checked in nv inspector when i wrote that before :)

:nerd:there are no coverage samples by 4xmsaa and 8xmsaa, its just like by amd normal anti aliasing 4x, 8x.

And as you probably know this 8 color by 16xQ and 32xcsaa is just normal 8xmsaa + extra coverage samples, or 4 color by 8xcsaa and 16xcsaa 4xmsaa + extra coverage samples.

[​IMG]

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    ^^If you think that normal MSAA doesn't take any coverage samples you are wrong. CSAA just takes extra coverage samples.

Yeah, well if you want to put it in that way. I was just trying to make the point that 8xCSAA means 8 coverage samples so 4 additional coverage samples. I was suing the way NVIDIA uses in their white papers.

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    ok show me a real proof that normal plain 2x or 4x MSAA uses coverage samples too..

edit:
    there is this, but its not the same as pure coverage sample AA. So its still plain 4xmsaa.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/printer.php?action=review&id=647&page=2

Now if you need to expose those fake coverage z buffer 4x samples and count them as extra coverage samples fine, but that doesn't mean anything except storage info of real 4x msaa or the number of AA'ed samples, and that has nothing to do with coverage samples even thought they're mentioned there.. But then again idc anymore, imo we're both right :nerd:

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I don't know what you mean with fake, in normal MSAA the amount of coverage samples is tied other samples and in case of 4x it means 4 coverage samples. Here's the NVIDIA CSAA white paper: http://developer.nvidia.com/csaa-coverage-sampling-antialiasing

I'm fine with that. :p

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    hehe by "fake" coverage samples at 4xmsaa i meant its just a factor of 4 samples (in storage) so AA knows where to look for the sample, not adding extra csaa to it. If that makes any sense :)