Random CPU Usage

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ekimator, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    High Memory Usage (CPU Usage ~somewhat resolved~)

Hello everyone. I have a quick, hopefully little, question.

I've noticed that after my computer being on for a little bit that I have a constant CPU usage issue. Core 0 and 2 seem to be running at about 50% each. I have no other programs open that aren't open the rest of the time when i have 0-1% usage. I'm attaching a screenshot of the CPU processes causing it. Any idea why they are doing this?

http://imageshack.us/f/847/cpuusage.jpg/

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm nervous this is a trojan of some sort.

*EDIT

Please Scroll down to New Question, Thank you :):biggun:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Only two processes I see that's using your CPU there is the NT Kernel and System interrupts which is the operating system itself. It looks like the OS is doing its own background tasks.

Nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can see here.

deltatux

3. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    run > msconfig
    startup tab > tick off anything you don't recognize/need

a PC can fully boot with everything ticked off as well, so feel free to do that at first and start ticking up things like your anti virus, msn, skype, etc

this is in case you have some nasty trojan/spyware, that's usually where they like to be

you sure?

NT Kernel & System
    'ntoskrnl.exe is a critical process in the boot-up cycle of your computer although should never appear in WinTasks whilst under normal circumstances"

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  4. Peter Buxu

Peter Buxu Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX
    I'll do as Virtue has said, but if I were you I would check the Task Manager, when the 2 cores you have mentioned will start to kick off & see if there are any processes that you don't recognize.

For instance like 2 months ago, I had the very same issue. After some runtime of say 30 - 60mins, my processor load will increase drastically, in the sense that even playin music with media player, the computer will stutter a bit. Then I went into the task manager & so that I had like 6000 processes lool!!!.........there was a trojan I don't know from where & its function was to replicate itself again & again until it uses all of your processing power & making your PC freeze.

I have then downloaded a software I don't remember right now what its called, found the trojan that was causing the issue & deleted it, & since then the PC just runs smoothly as it was before......hope that it helped =))..........or else if this is just a problem that is being cause in the last few weeks, make a system restore & see if it can help.......gl m8t ;)

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    there is a process that actually completely screw up cpu usage on most computers especially when it has been idle for a few minutes and it's absolutely useless for the average user..

Start - Search then type services.msc

find Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN and disable them all (don't forget to press stop first).

[​IMG]

this process often cause massive cpu spikes from 50 to 100% for up to 10 minutes at a time especially when the computer is IDLE, also it often kicks in during gaming slowing them down (when supposedly it shouldn't do it), i've been disabling this $hit ever since it was introduced years ago, games and programs run BETTER and FASTER.

and here's what i'm talking about (more or less same problem as the OP).

http://superuser.com/questions/137508/ngen-exe-is-constantly-using-cpu

;)

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It never showed up under Windows Task Manager (actually it should if you run Task Manager as Administrator) in that photo. That photo was Resource Monitor, not Task Manager ;).

It's not only a critical process in the boot-up cycle. Like its name states, it's the NT OS Kernel. That's what ntoskrnl.exe stands for, it's the freakin' kernel lol, it's the heart and soul of an operating system. Without it, you don't have an OS. Thus, I question your source which you have provided none since it states that it's a critical process in the boot-up cycle, yes it is, but is a critical process period to run the OS in its entirety. If the kernel ever stops running, your system will stall. That's what causes BSoD, it's when the kernel fails to run properly.

deltatux

7. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    Okay, so i looked at the startup processes and there was only the 6 things that looked to be normal. Virus, Steam. etc.

Then I checked out those .Net Frameworks and they are already disabled.

I don't see any thing really using up cpu power, but it is still happening.

Here is the list of my processes, not sure how to tell which one was using up my processor.
    http://imageshack.us/f/12/unlednnu.jpg/

*edit*
    I just clicked on "show all processes by all users" or whatnot and this is what came up.
    http://imageshack.us/f/28/unledcdj.jpg/

When organized by CPU, it gets an 80-90 for system idle process. Is this what you were talking about originally delta? Or is there something I should be disabling?

Also, it seems that system interrupts are big in the resource monitor, and online it says that this is often caused by faulty drivers. How can I tell if this is the case?

THanks for all the help so far everyone, I just want this problem to go away :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    auslogics task manager does good job for tracking what your pc doing.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Windows Search Indexer is prob what's hogging your CPU time....

You also have a lot of other crapware running in the background btw, you should disable some services/processes.

10. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    u seem to have Smart Recovery Daemon installed, i assume this would kick in when idle

(or when windows fails to recognize ur playing ur favourite game..)

11. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    Okay, I think I fixed it, as it's been on for 4 hours and I haven't noticed the usage jump up (after i deleted smart 6 and all it's monitoring stuff, and turned off indexing.)

Now as phil said, I seem to have a lot of processes running, I'm not sure how to tell what I can remove (or how to disable them completely) is there some tool I can run that will clear everything that isn't needed, and then I can re-activate the ones I want, like Steam and EVGA precision?

12. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    Ccleaner / tools / startup / click on "yes" to change value

or if u prefer, run msconfig

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  13. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    So I have "possibly" pin-pointed what is at least causing the problem, but not what is solving it.

I reformatted my HDD hoping that I would fix whatever software issue I was having, and it still has the 25% performance issue under system and system interrupt. What I can definitely say is that it occurs after waking the computer from sleep mode. (It could still happen after a few hours of no sleep, but i'm not sure on that).

I disabled Wake on Lan as a forum suggested but it did not fix this issue. What could be causing this after sleep mode?

14. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Why not just stop using sleep mode?

It is the root of all evil and causes more problems than it solves. The only "fix" would be to wait for an OS or BIOS update which addresses the issue, which isn't likely.

15. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    I just disabled Sleep Mode as I could not find a suitable fix for the issue other than this. But now.

I recently reformatted my computer for this issue but it did not seem to help. Right after I turn my computer on, and my few programs boot up, my computer sits at 1.35 Gb of ram usage. After playing even a single game it jumps to about 1.60 Idle. The only programs I have turned on are Steam, EVGA Precision and nvidia control panel,etc.

Here is a list of the processes I have running, where are they coming from and is something wrong where it's taking up this much memory?

http://imageshack.us/f/708/processesf.jpg/

I was also dealing with a problem of my CPU using 25% for system interrupts after waking up from sleep, I noticed a lot of errors/warnings in the event log, I'm wondering if these could have something to do with it.

http://imageshack.us/f/8/eventsjy.jpg/

Only the ones for AUG 29th are since I turned on my PC today (and didn't let it go to sleep)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.