XFX-8800GT 512mb Alpha Dog Edition troubles

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mongoose333, Aug 19, 2011.

1. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    A few of you may remember me about 1 1/2 years ago. I was very blessed and helped by this site and some amazing folks. This is in regards to the video card I received.

My problem is.

Yesterday my pc crashed, I think it is the 8800GT 512mb ADE,
    when it crashed it went to a BSOD and said the problem was with the NV4 display driver, and was in an infinite loop.
    When I rebooted, there was text missing and a few patches of vertical lines running parallel. I couldnt get it to get past the BSOD, until I went into safe mode and uninstalled the last driver I had gotten a month or so ago, then it let me back into windows, but still with boot text missing and the vertical lines still there.

I hate to think this card is dead/dying, so I am looking for any idea's on this problem. I have taken good care of this card and for the last year, it really hasn't been running any graphic stressing games, I have always kept an eye on the temp and kept this system very clean.

Can someone please help with this issue?

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Mongoose333/Kenny

2. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What driver version are you on?

4. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    ANY version for SAME artifacts!!! lool

5. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    I was on the last driver that came out about a month ago or so.

I took it apart last night and the thermal paste is squished out on the circuitry all around the proc.
    I might try the baking thing later today, but could the paste being all over like it is cause these problems?

The reason I ask about the paste is, Bodar told me last night on FB, after I told him what it was doing, he said, "Either a temp problem or just gone".
    I hadn't taken it apart at that point, so I didn't get to tell him about the paste.

Thanks for the help guys, I would have commented back yesterday, but I updated my email addy on my profile here and then couldn't reply until today.

Thanks again...
    Sincerely,
    mongoose333/Kenny

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    As long as the paste isnt conductive, which it isnt, it should be fine. Just make sure you dusted it out real good.

7. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    ok, 8800gt back to life but too short time (1 or 2 days or 1 time power ON to dead again) after this.

@mongoose333
    BETTER solution!! - you should bake 8800gt on oven (CAUTION: do NOT use microwave!) to fix! - you look my post #2. :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  8. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    I plan on baking it at some point today.

9. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Yo Kenny Guess Who This Is?

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 series are notorious for failing, that's basically a fact these days. It's like the Seagate 7200.11 series HDD when those went down like flies.

Best to just replace that card, it's pretty old and you can get a better card for about $150.

deltatux

11. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    I only know 1 person in Jersey, so hiya Ryan, lol. too easy.

Ty Delta. probably gonna bake it anyways, as I just love the smell of electronics, heh heh. Nothing to lose.
    Anytime I get some new electronic thing, I just have to take in the smell, as my wife oddly looks at me and laughs.

Thanks guys.
    will keep ya posted.

Sincerely,
    mongoose333/Kenny

12. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    I finally baked the Videocard about a month ago and it fired right up and been working beautifully ever since. :)

Thanks alot guys a whole bunch as I cant afford to buy a new Vid card.

Sincerely,
    mongoose333

13. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    Really? Iv never heard of this. Iv had mine since day one and it still works like new without a problem. The fan even still works.

I hear there was alot of problems with the series that came after it though, with the 400/500 series heat issues and what not. Never really heard of any epidemic with the 8 series though.

And most thermal paste is conductive. Not all, but a vast majority are. Especially any that are good. The paste could have certainly caused problems and make the card misbehave.

I would suggest getting a new card though, your card is on its last leg it sounds like. You could probably lose it at any moment!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Nah...very few pastes intended for use with CPU's or GPU's are electrically conductive at all. Those that are 'conductive' actually exhibit a small amount of capacitance. AS5 being an example.

15. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    I didn't just bake it either, I completely disassembled it and cleaned it up, put new thermal paste and now it is even running around 52c-60c, where if I remember right it used to run in the 70s.
    I really don't game much anymore on the PC, any gaming it gets now is very light gaming from my wife.

Sincerely,
    mongoose333

16. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    All of the paste I have ever used is conductive. Id say there is still a chance it could have caused problems.

But in light of this thread, I have stuck my moms old laptop in the oven for a bit to see if that may revive it!

HP Pavillion 6755. Worst bunch of laptops ever made. Just epic failure on HPs part and they still refuse to admit it.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's a very common problem with the 8800's, they fail due to the solder joints coming loose. Baking the cards fixes the issue by essentially re-soldering the circuit board.

Hi Mongoose, good to see your card is still in action after the oven trick.

18. mongoose333

mongoose333 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 1030
    I know you talk to many folks, Pill. but its actually the same card from the thread u started on my behalf many moons ago. remember?
    "Guru's you are needed!! *OMFG LOOK HERE!!!!* thread.
    Its the same card from that and same pc from there, still working very nicely, Thank you so much, you were/are a GodSend.
    Maybe if you get time and are bored you can look at the thread I recently posted in laptops, I have an Issue here. providing you have some knowledge of power supplies for laptops.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=358930

although someone on another forum site, told me it should work perfectly.

Thanks again guys and hope you are blessed Pill, take care.

Sincerely,
    mongoose333

19. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    I actually googled and nothing of the sort came up. All I found was a bunch of driver issues. Which any card can have those.

Sadly, baking my moms laptop did not help it :( Its still a POS and goes to sit on the shelf for a few more years.

After more searching, I seen that the 8800GS did suffer from alot of problems, mainly on the mac side of things. It appears the older GPUs are not effected by this. But I believe the GT does use the same GPU as the GS so that could be the problem.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Only compounds based on Silver, Copper or Aluminum are conductive/capacitive.

Compounds based on Ceramic (Ceramique) or Silicone are completely non-conductive/non-capacitive. Arctic Cooling's MX thermal compounds as well as Tuniq's TX thermal compounds are also non-conductive/non-capacitive. DiamondIC thermal compound is also non-conductive/non-capacitive.....same with Antec's Formula 5 and Formula 7 and Zalman's ZM-STG1, ZM-STG2, and ZM-TG2.

Most graphics card vendors use Silicone based thermal compound to ensure the safety of electrical components as Silicone is an excellent electrical insulator.