2xSLI with 570

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DJ_Casper, Aug 16, 2011.

1. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    Hello everyone! I have EVGA GTX 570 SuperClocked

I'd like to buy second card but I can't get anoter EVGA

Can I buy for example Asus GTX 570 for SLI?

2. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Yes, another GTX 570 from a different brand should work in SLI. But you should be able to order a new GTX 570 SC directly from www.eu.evga.com.

Which Thermaltake PSU is that? I wouldn't risk 570 SLI with a 700W PSU unless it's among the best in its class.

3. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    Now it's 430Wts in total My PC run at 100%. I've tested with eletctrical unit. So good result!

so GTX 570 is 219Wt. So my 700Wt can handle it easily

Thermaltake ToughPower 700Wt

About Europe EVGA - Ukraine is an interesting country here full of consiracy

I can with PayPal but they can't give me back money in case if the product won't reach me. Why ? - Cause PayPal is not accepted to give back money in Ukraine :(

But I'll give it a try and buy my 2nd GTX 570 SC

K if I understood you correctly SLI can be with 2 same GPUs - no matter OverClocked or not by the manufacturer?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    As I said, 430W+219W=649W out of 700 watts is too close for me to feel comfortable... unless it's a PSU I know I can trust. That may be different for you... But I've read bad things about Thermaltake PSUs, and while the Toughpower series may be their better PSU range, I would still want higher efficiency and power quality. If I were you I'd do one of two things, depending on budget: sell the Toughpower and buy a reliable 850W PSU (with one 12V rail instead of four separate ones :wanker:) and another GTX 570, or wait until NVIDIA releases their new 28nm chips, then buy one of those and sell the 570.

They need to operate at all the same clocks and have the same amount of VRAM. You can, of course, modify the clocks later on, they don't need to have the same clocks out of the box. I'm not sure if core voltage matters... probably not.

5. middydj

middydj Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    You will be fine with that Toughpower. That was one of TT's better lines unlike that newer line they make now. JonnyGuru did a nice write up on that PSU . I still own one of them.

6. middydj

middydj Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    The Toughpower was and is quality. Why would infer it is not quality? Have you used one for any length of time to make any assumptions about it?

I threw everything at that PSU I could when I used it heavy in production. Never once failed. In fact it is running to this day in my old rig. Nice and quiet.

7. middydj

middydj Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you can operate both cards at different gpu and memory clocks if you so choose. they do not have to be the same clocks.

9. middydj

middydj Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    agreed.

10. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Ah, guess my info on that was outdated or something.

Good to hear. However I've read a review of a Toughpower XT that didn't pass ATX spec at full power at 40C ambient. ATX spec is done at 23C though, but that just shows that the quality of that particular PSU was limited to just that; there was little overhead to guarantee reliability.

Not all of their PSUs can be relied on to even be able to provide their rated max wattage (link). This alone obviously leads me to question the quality of their other power supplies.

Personal experience with a product can't necessarily even be used to justify generalisations with regard to a product's quality. Professional reviews are probably more reliable, and as far as I can see, Toughpowers are good but not great.

In addition, I stated it was my personal preference not to leave only 50W between load wattage and rated wattage, no matter what PSU. Doing that leads lowered power quality and efficiency, as well as PSU lifetime.

I also stated that the OP may have a different personal preference. I have given my recommendations and that's that... Do what you will Casper and GL.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

11. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    I'm glad to see how everyone is helping here - real community. What did I understand from all these :D :

1) I can buy another 570 with different clocks
    2) Buy a new PSU and wait for new GTX 6xx

I choose 1st - I see that my PSU is ok and I do not want to wait for GTX6xx series. I'm preparing for BF3 right now

What symptoms will I see if there will be problems with installed 2nd GTX 570?:

-no turning on
    -turning off PC after some time
    -can I break my PC :(

12. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You won't break anything, if your psu isn't enough in load you'll just have bsods, restarts or low performance.

13. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    K I'll try. Going to buy another Asus DCII GTX 570 right now

14. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    It's always better to go for a second card that is identical in clock speeds to your first card.

I once bought two GTX260 SSC cards from EVGA and then got a GTX260 SC and put them in the machine together. I got quite a few BSOD's. Took out the GTX260 SC and things went fine from then on.

Now i'm running two GTX580 (3GB) from EVGA and one GTX580 (3GB) from Zotac. But the clocks are exactly the same on all 3 cards so they are running great together.

15. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    Good! Then I will make clocks the same. What is good vCore for 800Mhz. My EVGA right now is 772hz

16. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Technically, either is a possibility when loading a power supply to its limits. It depends on how good the power supply is. Consider a scenario where you're operating at a boundary, the crossing of which will result in the PSU shutting itself down. If, at that boundary, the power quality is still decent, you don't need to worry about damage to components. If on the other hand the power quality becomes bad at the boundary, e.g. the 12v rail deviates above 5% (ATX spec) from 12 volts, then your components may be at risk.

17. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    You might be able to get 800Mhz without increasing voltage. At least that's what you should try first, and if it doesn't work, then increase voltage in 10-15mV steps until you find one that is stable. Going too high with the voltage shouldn't be a problem here as you're doing only a minor overclock. Which voltage ends up being stable at a particular core clock frequency depends quite a bit on the card you're dealing with (which manufacturer, which model, which unit).

18. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    Wohooo I've recieved it finally Asus GTX 570 Direct CU II - I'll test when I come from home

I've got it for 340$ - it costs here 380-400$

Now let's see what nVidia prepared for me - suprise :D or fails :(

19. Buenamos

Buenamos Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX570
    sli

I'm interested to see if your PSU is enough. I have the following PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256045

It's a real nice PSU with 4 rails. What are you guys' thoughts on this PSU?

I've been thinking of upgrading to another 570 for a surround setup and waiting to upgrade my CPU for bulldozer or Ivy Bridge.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  20. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    My PC turns off since 10-20 minutes so it's time for PSU :D

Which will be enough for these babies and my system, guys? -Corsair AX850?

You can try. May be it will be enough. My PSU is 5 years long. So it's max 500-550 right now. Try it and if your PC will turn off then change your PSU