Origin Required for Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by danfim, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Fine by me, origin is not bad.

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I had no idea that EA is so big on philanthropy.

I mean it's obvious Robert Kotick will be buying new Ferretti of a MW3
    but these kind souls from EA really want his wife to get one too.

(Or a Sunseeker at least)

[​IMG]

3. ct03

ct03 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
    Don't worry. It won't be all in one. It'll only have EA games.
    As many comparisons as people like to draw between Origin and Steam, there really is one significant difference: on Steam I can buy/play games from just about all publishers. It's a unified service. Once EA has finished ripping its entire library out of Steam, every EA game will run exclusively through Origin.

4. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Indeed the point of the newsbit is to show that EA is trying to expand off Steam and create their own digital marketing platform, not to cry about anything. Don't be silly guys.

But it's not good if all big publishers make their own platform, I would imagine most gamers don't want to install multiple "Steams".

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I don't understand what's with all the moaning about EA wanting their games on their distribution platform, as I seen no one complaining that Valve games only work on steam? This argument makes no sense.

6. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Once a bitch, always a bitch - EA that is.

7. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    its alright I been using origin (its ea downloader in a new suit) for about 2 years, no issues to report, I play battlefield a lot so having them all in one place is cool, plus I added them to steam via 'add non steam game to menu' so I dont see an issue

8. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    LOL oh god

9. ct03

ct03 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
    Steam has 1,500 Non-Valve games and a user base of over 30 million. If a product is only available on Steam it's about as big a deal as when a product is only available on Amazon, i.e. nobody minds because everybody already uses it anyway.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Just because its the norm shouldn't make it anymore acceptable though.

If publishers can make more money from the PC via DD by cutting out the middle man (Valve) then that makes PC gaming more attractive to them, which in the long run is good for all of us.

11. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    It was a "big deal" when Steam was first released though. I seem to remember lots boycotts against HL2, etc and over time as Valve began offering deals with other developers did people start to accept it and like it. At the same time we don't know what EA's plans are with Origin as distribution platform either, it could flop, or it could become a rival to steam who knows, and start offering non-EA games in the future.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I don't use Steam - never have, never will. And I won't be using Origin either...it's just more unnecessary bloatware imo.

But mostly I'm against the principle of it all. F*ck EA. :finger2::finger2:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  13. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I remember when Steam first came out and everyone hated it, now I couldn't imagine PC gaming without it, the deals alone make it amazing. Origin seems OK, nothing special, and I don't really see the point of it but taking 1 second to start it won't kill me.

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    No issues with this. In fact, I think I rather this than using SecuROM as the DRM, that thing pisses me off a LOT, especially those install limits, they drive me f**kin' nuts.

deltatux

15. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    This is what I got in my email today from EA:

As a special thank you for pre-ordering Battlefield 3 early at Origin, we're offering you a bonus PC digital download game. Please apply the code below at the shopping cart to redeem one PC Digital version of one of our recommended shooter titles: Mass Effect™ 2, Dead Space™ 2 or Medal of Honor™. The price will be reduced to $0 after applying the code at your shopping cart. Hurry - this offer is only good for the month of August, and is exclusive to Origin customers only. See below for more details.

We look forward to seeing you on the battlefield this fall.

Origin kicks ass!!

16. Beast

Beast Guest

GPU:
    -
    ^ Yep, I got the same e-mail.

17. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    You say the deals alone make it worth it. But really for us in the UK, the launch prices are usually always more expensive than online retail. Its only the sales that provide, at times (not always even then) some bargains.

I used to go out of my way to have everything on steam, but recently I'm starting to move away from that philosophy purely due to the constantly inflated prices when compared to other online shops. Theres also the quirkiness of usually having to be online to successfully go offline for me which I dont like so much.

To think at one point I was even buying games I already had on disc, just to have it on steam. Those days are gone for me.

So yeah, origin doesnt overly bother me - the days of steam being the monopoly for all my games library is over as far as I'm concerned.

18. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Stop crying about sh1t like this,just don't buy the games if you disagree with EA policy.

19. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Whats the better game out of those 3? I already have MOH...

20. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    I got that e-mail too, however I already have the games they offered.