London Riots...What the hell?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by BlackZero, Aug 9, 2011.

1. killerxr290

killerxr290 Banned

GPU:
    Im Out
    Hello Rioters. Look at your friend, now back to me. Now at your friend, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped using petrol bombs and started using job centre he could potentially be me. Look down, back up. Where are we? You're at an interview with the man your friend could work for. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's an application form to that job you need. Look again. The form is now money. Anything is possible when you get a job and stop looting. I'm on a horse

2. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Hahah best post in this whole thread

3. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    A big screen TV $330 lasts 5-10 years
    X-box $250 lasts ???
    Car $3000x2 required to work lasts 3-5 years

Health insurance for 1 year family of 4, $5,000 - 7,000
    House payment $500/mo

An X-box + TV might cost $1000 over 5 years and provide hundreds of hours of entertainment. Rent/mortgage + Health insurance will run you 70,000$ in the same time frame.

4. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't know what it is like in the UK, but I currently don't have a job and I've filled out hundreds of applications, had only a handful of interviews, and still haven't found work. And this was also after I graduated from college.

Idle hands are the devils play things, they have nothing to lose and plenty to gain by looting while rioting, yes you and I know its wrong and would never do such a thing, but from their point of view they system has effed them so they are gonna eff the system back.

Simply telling them to get jobs isn't going to solve the issue. If it was that easy 90% of them would as most people want to be able to provide for themselves.

5. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Sorry to hear that. I hope your administration can stop bickering and putting party interest above what's in best interest for your country. And start do more to create jobs, rather than protecting their 'special interest'.

From the people that has come before court now for looting. Not all of them were out of job or even poor; even a millionaires daughter among-st them.

From what i understood reviewing reports i have read and seen so far. What once started as a protest and anger at police and government policies. Seem to have quickly turned into opportunist taking their chances; especially the riots taken place outside London.
    Some of the people looting on the streets that has been interviewed even don't really have a good clue about what happened in London and why. But yet gave that as a reason. Tho it quickly become apparently they were just opportunist out to F everyone.

Also remember, UK isn't the only place in the world were there is unemployment and where people have little to no prospect for a better future.

6. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    It's exactly that kind of attitude that is tearing this country apart. This whole "them and us" crap is why this country is such a miserable place to live in.

7. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
  8. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Sadly, while some of the stuff the government got us in this mess (and is doing things like not addressing the debt not making it any better), the sad reality is the jobs situation has more to do with decisions by companies. Productivity is at its highest, even in companies that laid people off. They are simply working people, harder, longer, for the same pay - so they don't have to hire someone new and pay benefits.

The saved money these companies are making are going right up the corporate ladder. They decide who gets the money and they give it to themselves, rather than growing the company with new employees that would help improve the economy.

9. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I agree lol. Everyday I have a thing I like to call Application Time and I apply places. Whenever I call to make sure they just tell me to be patient but nothing ever happens.

Although, that one post was pretty damn awesome about the horse and such.

10. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Welcome to reality bro.

11. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Feel free to tell me I am talking guff but my thoughts on this situation are as follows.

Their is no one single agenda, no one single big cause for these riots, the riots are a result of a whole lot of little issues all combined. A lot centres around the modern world in which we live. The idea that we are all individuals with our own rights that will be protected at all costs even if it conflicts with the rights of others, call it the human rights bollocks. This in turn has bred a generation that only considers itself. I am not talking simple selfishness I am talking about an attitude that is endemic in a lot of our society 'I can do whatever I want and their is nothing anyone can do to stop me because it is my right.'

This in turn has lead to a generation that is dependant on benefits, (it is my right to have them even if I have done nowt to earn them) I am not talking about people who are on them because of the current economic climate that are in genuine need but people who see it as their god given right despite having never contributed a jot to society. Of course that is only one small (or rather larger than it should be) element of society.

The attitude of 'me and only me no matter bloody what' now permiates every level of our society right from the sponger claiming benefits for her fifteen children right through to the politician claiming back cash for his duck pond.

If you look at the rioters, what they were doing, their was no real reason, no unified all encompassing cause most of what happened happened because of the 'me and only me and so bloody what attitude'. It lead to people thinking I will do this and no one can stop me and even if I do get caught they won't be able to do anything to me and even if they do it will be a slap on the wrists and Ill walk away free.

So when you read about the guy who looted a £3.50 bottle of water getting six months in jail, good bloody good. Ask him why he did it, you won't get some high brow political based argument you'll get a simple because I thought I would get away with it, or because it was only a £3.50 bottle of water so what?

The good thing about all this is it looks like a lot of these dreggs of human society WILL get caught and despite a some what watered down start it seems the level of punishment is going to be harsh for a lot of them and the final thought on this one is anyone who is on benefits that gets convicted of having taken part should 100% have those benefits stopped.

I work in a shop and I am sick of seeing this, Ill take it because I can, this self inflated opinion that it is my right to own this and I will even if it means Ill just steal it. I am sick of paying for spongers and I am willing to bet a fair few that get arrested WILL be on state handouts.

If anything comes of this it will hopefully be that the government gets a spine, that it hammers this scum and hammers them hard. That it is finally knocked in to some of this garbage that acts have consequences and that you will pay for your actions.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    killerxr290 cracking post, didn't pick up on what you were using till the horse bit at the end.

Funny, while also quite accurate in my opinion.

13. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Your bets are irrelevant because your assumptions are wrong.

If we had to redistribute wealth today in the fashion you said then the outcome would be highly unpredictable but I sure as **** would not say 99% of the rich would be rich again. Think about all the young smart poor people which could suddenly afford education, start a business and have real prospects? Given the amount of poor its a statistical certainty that there would be capable young people which would trash what were spoiled rich kids into oblivion.

The fact is you cannot do that because cash handouts never work, therefore its the role of the government to create a balanced set of tools to create social mobility.

In the Uk I think they had a situation where labour governments gave out too much of the 'bad' welfare and that the system was unsustainable because the structure of the benefits were not tied to obligations from the receiving end. This probably created the whole stigma of the leeching poor bastards.

There are more sustainable models of social security where aid is tied to progress. Example here in my country university is free you don't spend a cent and the government actually pays you, if you do badly the government will suspend the pay. Sure the system is abused by people who do a year and leave (although the government will ask for 50% back) but in the meantime thousands of young people which would have been doing **** nothing are completing courses and getting certified.

For people who flunked school? The government offers trade schools which offer education from the ground up and some of which even end with a BSC degree, all free for locals certifying kids who's only prospect was a crappy part time job.

In the UK you had a total reversal, it went from wasteful and ineffective aid, to no aid at all and that creates social unrest.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  14. killerxr290

killerxr290 Banned

GPU:
    Im Out
    It was a joke, you know, where you laugh...

It wasnt a post suggesting that was my attitude towards it

But... that is my attitude to all this.

Im in the same boat and so are 3 of my house mates.. are we out looting and rioting?

No we are not cus we are not chav scum

15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I have been conspicuous by my absence. I have been busy this week in Nottingham.

By the end of this week I will have done 100+ hours, I haven't even started to add up the full total. Totally knackered but loving making sure that these thieves, burglars and arsonists are locked up and put before the court.

100+ arrests in Nottingham with more to come. We are wading through hundreds of hours of CCTV from our own evidence teams, public and private as well.

We are coming for them!

I'll read through the thread next week when I've been released from the ongoing operation.

Much love to all, Tony.

16. Gibbonlimbs

Gibbonlimbs Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 4GB Jet****** SLI
    Respect!

17. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070

I also despise chavs but Not all of the looting and rioting is being done by jobless teenagers, just in case it slipped your shallow little mind.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  18. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    We have kids and teenagers, jobless or otherwise through to working adults in all walks of life. Greed, pure and simple.

19. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Greed indeed, just like the cop's that took money from News International.

20. killerxr290

killerxr290 Banned

GPU:
    Im Out
    Have you seen the vids?! 99% of the ppl there are no more than 20 years old