Battlefield 3 Forces Users to use Origin

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by RavenMaster, Aug 12, 2011.

1. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    That's right folks. Even if you buy a retail DVD or a digital copy from sites such as D2D you will be forced to install Origin.

So what is so bad about that you may ask?

Well from a business point of view it is retarded because EA has just alienated every PC owner who likes to use Steam. COD MW3 will be available on Steam and every other download site, BF3 will not.

I used to use EADM and Origin is just EADM with a re-branded name tag. I owned C&C3, Kane Wrath, Crysis 1, Crysis Warhead Deluxe Edition, Red Alert 3 and Battlefield 2142 on EADM. I was eventually locked out from using all of those games because of EA's DRM/Activation limits.

Each time you install a new piece of hardware or re-install ur OS, EA/Origin deduct one of ur activations. After so many times you can no longer re-download or play ur games, even when you haven't installed them on any other system.

You do have the option to call EA's tech support ( on a premium rate international line!) or get in touch via email or online chat. When you finally do make contact you'll be greeted by one of EA's RTFM Crew who will ask you to make multiple accounts so that they can issue more activations for your games. End result, your games library will be splintered into several different Origin accounts making it a pain to access. Also, you will have to go through the entire process again if you run out of activations again.

Steam on the other hand ties your games to your account and only allows one user at any given time to access said account. So no DRM. You are also allowed to backup your install files and re-install them using ur account you bought them on. You can do this an unlimited amount of times.

So far EA is the only company that has disagreed with Steam's TOS. Every other big player/publisher doesn't seem to have a problem with it. So it looks like EA is just trying to steal customers rather than entice new ones to buy from them. And by forcing ppl who buy BF3 to install Origin means they're being very dictator-like about it too.

I just had my EA forum account banned for asking the question 'Will EA remove limited activations/DRM from Origin?' Talk about gastapo!

Funniest thing is, pirates will not suffer Origin's DRM yet paying customers will. Sad, just sad...

Original source http://kotaku.com/battlefield/

2. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    You work for steam or something? Sounds like you are getting paid to spread FUD around the net...

How many times you gonna reinstall windows anyways? Seriously unless you are installing windows 20 times per year you have no issues and if you are doing it that many times you are an idiot and deserve to lose every thing you have because you should not be on a PC to begin with!

3. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I do not work for Steam i just aplaud their non-DRM system and that it allows you to backup your installs so u dont have to download them again.

I am by personal experience, a very disgruntled EA customer and after hearing this news I wanted to warn people of how they too might get screwed over.

Not being able to buy this game on Steam was lame. But being forced to install Origin even if i buy a retail copy or download from D2D is just depressing. I don't want to not be able to play my games a year down the line just because i upgrade my graphics cards every 6 months or get a new CPU or install my OS due to viruses or Hard Drive failure. A PC is not a console and you will faced with problems or upgrade. EA's DRM does not accomodate for this.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  4. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Your posting FUD no other way to say it dude...what you are posting will not ever effect 99.9% of us anyways so why even make a big deal about it?

5. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    How would you feel if the games you paid for locked you out?

6. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    What about people that dont like steam but have no install steam for games like portal 2, napoleon total war, brink and so on.
    is it right that they have to install steam to play them?

quit whining, if you truly think BF3 is not worth getting because you have to install Origin then i feel very sorry for you.

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    suck it up and deal with it. b!tching about it will change absolutely NOTHING. if you dont like it, dont buy the game. its that simple.

the same can be applied for steam.

8. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I think ur missing the point here. If i get BF3 then Origin DRM locks me out of the game because i've upgraded my system too many times (which i frequently do - i buy and sell parts a lot) do you think this is fair?

Steam allows you to backup ur games and install them as many times as you want.

If EA got rid of their customer-hating DRM i'd use Origin

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    thats why EA has made a deauthorize tool for that particular reason. it comes in handy.
    http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/

10. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790

11. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    How in the frak are u gonna de-authorise ur machine when u get a virus, OS corruption or have Hard Drive failure???

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    if you run out of activations, you can always request more.

13. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Did u not read my original post? It costs if u phone them, it takes time if u contact them through the net and they request you make a new account and re-download the game again which takes ages if ur not on fibre optic internet. Even then, a new activation liscence is purely at EA's disgression to which they may say no and disallow u access to the game u paid for.

Why not just cut all the BS and allow users to backup their games like on Steam? A simple 'copy+paste' and click 'restore.'

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Okay.

Don't see anything wrong with this. I bought BF2 through EADM which is now Origin. I bought MW2 on Steam and requires Steam.

15. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    You can have the game installed on 5 different PCs at one and EA gives you an auto de-auth, a manual de-auth and the ability to get live chat to do it for you YET people still complain (and say things that aren't true).

People just like to hate on EA no matter what and this thread does read a like a typical EA hate thread spreading things that simply aren't true.

Actully support can simply remove the entire game from your current account and then simply replace it (i had that done with MOH when it had key issue 2 days ago), took all of 10 minutes.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    sorry, but i had to request more activations 2 times .

they have never asked me to create a new account. been using the same account all these years.
    all they ask is you to prove you bought the game. thats all.

17. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I must have gotten a noob member of staff that day then =/

Still sucks hugely that u have to do this crap at all when on Steam u just copy/paste restore.

18. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    this guy is telling the truth! my friend has been banned from his own games! hahahah!

Batman, Crysis 2, Red Alert ! poor my friend. he is sick of talking to customer support for months no help!! i dont want to be in his place!!! not buying BF3 until things be normal like ordinary ppl not Apes. ooooh oooohh aaaaaah

19. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    also just to add to the anti-bs

Game installers are backed up to Origin\DownloadCache, you can burn them to dvd or just back them up they install just like retail disks do, I have crysis 2 bfbc2 and even had the bf3 alpha installer backed up to disk as I moved it to another pc.

20. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    and this again.

all you are doing is just making up more and more (lame) excuses whenever someone shows you a solution (a rather simple ones at that).