Why does ATI suck at the drivers so much?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Russ369, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

Spending money on multi-gpu is lame, especially considering when all we get are lousy console ports. There are more cons than pros invovled in adopting a multi-gpu setup. Not only does it increase your system temperature, but increased carbon emissions, higher electricity bills, and many more. IMO, single GPU is and always will be, the best solution :).

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There are quite a few games that push a top spec PC hard at 1080p, at higher res, more power may be needed.

It also depends what you want to do.
    Multi monitor gaming requires more than 1 card with NVidia.

If you can sustain higher than 60fps, its very smooth.

There are technical and configuration downsides, thats why it isnt recommended unless you have some technical ability and dont mind playing around or waiting for patches.
    But you cant categorise it like you have.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Flame threads like this are one reason I don't want to upgrade to ATI.....this part of the forum is like a 3 ring circus compared to the Nvidia section...

4. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

No problems with ATI drivers, it's going better, 11.8 Open GL 4.2 drivers are Great..... Good Job AMD...

Plz close this Thread!!!1

5. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    and idk why, on single cards ATI drivers are vgood. (idk multi)

In fact nvidia are screwing it now, at least from what i saw, DA2 dx11 at launch time sucked, witcher 2 also had problems with them.

Altho im a little more pro-nvidia on driver things. Mainlly because they have integrated game profiles and such.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  6. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Not all posts were flames

7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Compare and contrast. Nothing wrong with that. Neither company are problem free and not every Ati user has problems with their software.

8. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    ati users suck also more than nvidia users...that's why i believe more people dislike amd developers work...there is no other explanation...i know some amd workers, they are awesome...

9. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I don't believe that to be true... the ati has poor drivers claim is more of a tradition it seems.

Have now had 4 crashes with Nvidia controlpanel leading to BSOD.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No, but I'm not referring to this specific thread - more about how these threads in general often appear in the ATI section...it would put me off posting in here (am looking at 6950 upgrade...)
    Only thing I dislike about ATI drivers is the stupid installers they use. Very difficult to install w/out using CIM.

You sir, are an idiot.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

11. Yadda

Yadda Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1200/6400
    I bet you're a Libra, they always say things like that. :)

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Same here, imo I can't recall the last time I even had a problem (well, there was that 1 time back when the "Apply Video Settings to Internet Video" was only on a preview driver, and when enabled, caused me a BSoD on a Radeon HD 3200... but then again it's called "preview" for a reason)

13. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Different systems, different configurations, different problems.
    Now, I might already sound like a broken record, but don't tell me you don't know the problem with 11.6 WHQL that caused BSODs on systems connected to HDMI/DP monitors.

14. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I think I do recall that problem now that you mention it, however I didn't have a computer with HDMI even until about 3 weeks ago or so, so I didn't experience it personally

15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Exactly my point.

Personally, I still use a non-HDMI/DP monitor, so I didn't get those BSODs; still using an old-ass 19" LCD (Acer X193W) with only a Dsub (VGA) input port.
    Even then, because of the alarming rate of BSOD reports when 11.6 came out, I decided to acknowledge that the problem is real and helped pinpointing the real cause of the sudden outbreak of BSODs.
    Here's that 'historical' 11.6 BSOD thread : http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=346210

What I'm trying to say is that even if you're not affected by the problems, that doesn't mean the drivers aren't problematic.

16. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    In light of the fail that are the 11.11b drivers, I ask again:

Why does ATI suck at the drivers so much?

17. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    I just want to say that you all make valid points and I acknowledge that! Moving on, I feel that I have not been pushed at all into CFX or even ATI or PC's or gaming. Perhaps it's how I respond to all advertising being about people who want to sell things trying to make money, is that such a surprise? Just an opinion!

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Mods please close this thread.

19. wafu88

wafu88 Guest

GPU:
    DDR3
    There isn't a game out there that requires CFX to play at maximum. Is there any game that isn't a console port? Doesn't seem it. Witcher 2 sure was PC first platform but anyone who has played it knows it was optimized for consoles. The corridor like play, and the UI etc, and behold, it's a 360 title.

Spending $700 on something you already knew was going to have endless problems sure seems stupid to me. Don't go on about what you expect. Or go on about if you buy something AMD has to do this and that. We already know that. But YOU also already knew AMD won't live up to that. Known about it for a very long time.

Multi-GPU gaming has never been smooth sailing ever since it existed, always was rife with problems. But go on whining. You should buy CFX 7xxx series next year and then complain about it again everyday. It will be grand. A repeating cycle. After a decade of CFX issues, I'm sure HD7xxx will be the magical generation, CFX issues all resolved like MAGIC!

Better yet you can buy SLI Nvidia next year. And then complain at day 1 release of every game about why SLI is sucking so much. And then you can rage even more when the game is an Nvidia title. Meanwhile all the games will be console ports which could be maxed with a single HD5870 or GTX 470.

Then you can rage at me and everyone else who thinks you are loonie for continuously spending $700 and not enjoying your purchase just raging. But then hey, you're the one who decided to spend $700 on something when no game needs it. And you can blame AMD or Nvidia all day, all month, all year, and to your dismay, it won't change.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  20. bkandor

bkandor Active Member

GPU:
    2@ xfx290 black
    Sorry, but there are alot of games that need multi gpu's, eg. I run either eyefinity, or 120hz 1080p, and even a 6990 isn't fast enough. If 30 fps is good enough for you then your right, but that is not everyone.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.