AMD Catalyst 11.8 Preview Driver (8.880.3 July 11)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jul 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    If AMD/ATI's traack record with OpenGL is anything to go by you wont see a proper working version until sometime around Catalyst 12.12

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think AMD will be a bit quicker with OpenGL 4.2 :)

I'm still curious about the driver situation with the HD 7xxx series, since its completely different architecture one would expect a different driver, or maybe they'll do what they did with the HD 6xxx series, and just add a few new files?

3. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Who knows

AMD right now for SOME reason is hilariously late with the 32nm and 28nm nodes, and so is everyone else! Nvidia, AND intel

In fact, intel right now is having baffling problems with Sandy Bridge-E, and has pushed it back to 2012, AMD has pushed bulldozer to late september, and the next Radeon and Geforce are pushed WELL into 2012

We still got a long way to go before the new videocards

4. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    AMD repeatedly promises Southern Islands (28 nm) based cards at end of this year.

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    There's no point if they still can't properly support the older specs.
    I kinda expect more out of a company that touts open platform and yet still has worse support for OpenGL compared to its proprietary-oriented rival.

So they're really going to abandon VLIW and going for a SIMD approach?

AMD also promised Bulldozer around a year ago. :p

6. ziddy123

ziddy123 Banned

GPU:
    Nvidia already released OpenGL 4.2 and their OpenGL actually works. I've got software that doesn't recognize AMD's OpenGL drivers. AMD is OpenGL fail and they don't care, at least my impression.

My #1 reason to go with Nvidia next round is because of AMD's inability to have working OpenGL. I just don't think it's acceptable considering OpenGL is the most widely used 3D Graphics API right now and I think it's popularity will increase in the future. PS3, Future Nintendo and Windows are all native OpenGL platforms while 360 is the only one left out, OpenGL I think will be a strong competitor for cross platform gaming.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  7. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Just tested this set in 3DMark Vantage - 99% gpu usage always, the scalling is very good, but, but - 1400 points, was 36700 with 11.6, with this 35300 :(
    Anyone tried this set in Vantage?

8. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
  9. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Nice drivers and a nice jump in Heaven Benchmarks scores as well.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Alright my drivers have went nuts, for some reason I'm stuck in low 3D mode even when nothing is on which keeps it at 49C idle instead of the usual 38C.

Now that I have to wipe them anyway I'll give 11.8 a shot. Wow AMD is slow as possible with official releases.

Anyway, I'd like to ask what the major problems are summed up please as I'd rather not read 13 pages. I did read the MLAA can no longer be applied to windows and when I asked can it be forced on I was snubbed, anyone care to answer?

11. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    LOL, I am wait to check when will ATI/AMD fix MSAA support for Window Mode applications using DirectX 8(DirectX8 + Window Mode = MSAA doesn't work..LOL)...from past who knows when until TWL helped me out (may be more than 1 year).

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Edit: Well it seems MLAA really can't be forced on a windowed program anymore, nice going AMD. Fix one thing, break 10 others.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011