How do I enable AMD/ATI HD3D?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by blesner, Aug 8, 2011.

1. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Hi

I am very new to 3D , I recently got a Samsung S23a950d

How do I enable AMD/ATI HD3D? My monitor is supported.

Do you still need a 3rd party program?
    Shouldn't you be able to enable it in the ATI CCC (Like Nvidia's 3D vison)?

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Do you use 11.8 Preview?
    And do you use DP as the connection?

3. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Yes I am using 11.8 preview mate.

DP?

4. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT

5. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Hi

So I have to use third party software?, is there any way to enable it in the CCC?

6. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    In short, you can enable HD3D (i.e. quad-buffered frame sequential 120 Hz mode) if
    a) the software you are using supports HD3D mode of the Catalyst driver, and
    b) the Catalyst driver itself supports your specific monitor in HD3D mode.

I have the S27A950 as well and it seems like HD3D currently does not work over DVI or DisplayPort connections with this monitor, not even with the latest Catalyst 11.8 preview which claims to support A950/A750 series.

You might be able to enable Blu-ray 3D playback if you have a Radeon HD6000 card and are using the HDMI connector on the monitor (but not DisplayPort-HDMI or DVI-HDMI cable). You will be limited to mandatory HDMI 3D modes, i.e. 720p60 stereo and 1080p24 stereo. You have to use compatible media players such as Cyberlink PowerDVD 10/11 Ultra or Corel WinDVD Pro 2010.

If you only need to play games, the most trouble free option is to use built-in 2D->3D conversion mode in your monitor, however the stereo effect will be quite subtle.

For best results you have to use so-called stereo wrapper software; there are currently two options.

1) The bundled DDD/TriDef Game Launcher software is free (BTW make sure to check for updated versions with the TriDef software update utility), however it currently ignores HD3D mode completely and always starts games in the side-by-side mode. The most current version lacks any controls version to select HD3D mode over side by-side mode.

2) There is also iZ3D Stereo Driver software, but unlike the TriDef bundle, iZ3D is not free for A950/A750 series users and requires a license fee (though discounted for Radeon HD owners). iZ3D drver does allow you to select from multiple outputs, including AMD HD3D, however it does not work properly with Catalyst 11.8 and though it works with Catalyst 11.7, it always displays "Update the HD3D driver", which means something is not right anyway.

Games can also support HD3D and stereo rendering directly, however I am not aware of any game title that directly supports HD3D quad buffered mode at this time.

Please note that even though your monitor accepts 60 Hz or 24 Hz signals, the shutters always work at 100 or 120 Hz. The only downside of 60 Hz side-by-side format comparint to 120 Hz frame sequential mode is some mild resolutions loss.

Hopefully this clears the confusion for you.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  7. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Sorry I am an idiot

Okay so ATI HD3D is automatically enabled when I enable a 3d mode on my monitor?, the 3rd party sofware like DDD/iZ3D is just optional?
    Right?

8. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    OK, I'll read it slow :bang:

AMD HD3D is no more than a marketing term for frame alternative 120 Hz stereoscopy. A 120 Hz monitor is just one part of the equation; all your application software has to support AMD's implementation of quad-buffering API for DirectX (where the video card driver provides each L and R view with its own frame buffer and back buffer, so a 120 Hz frame sequential stereo signal can be prepared and transmitted to the monitor in perfect sync with the glasses).

The end user has no direct control over HD3D on the software side - the application software either uses the quad-buffer API , or it does not (and the video driver either recognizes 120Hz monitors, or it doesn't).

Pressing the button on your monitor or pulling a switch in the Catalyst control panel will not make all these applications auto-magically rewrite themselves to use the API. It's like asking "how do I enable DirectX 11 for all my games in the CCC" - you cannot, in fact it requires a lot of effort from software developers and asset designers to make full use of DX11 features.

Unfortunately very few game applications and stereo wrapper drivers make use of AMD quad-buffer API at this time.

Meanwhile, you can safely use side-by-side mode or 2D->3D conversion mode; the shutter glasses always work at 120 Hz, regardless of the signal transmission format.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  9. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690

Cool got it.

Another question, why wont Tridef/Frame sequential work with Xfire?
    When Xfire is on there is a major flickering but when I turn off xfire it is gone.

10. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Stereo wrappers work by injecting themselves into the DirectX runtime and intercepting draw calls from the applications. Xfire probably does a similar injection which somehow interferes with TriDef. Try to contact their tech support.

BTW TriDef launcher does not work in frame sequential mode; it does work in side-by-side mode.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

11. rpro

rpro Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Dmitry where did u buy S27, and how much,and how u got yours connected to your graphic card ??

12. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    The Tridef software lets you choose between frame sequential and side-by-side in the menu. Also when I disable Xfire FS works but Frame rates are low because of no Xfire.

13. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    I bought it at a local computer store in Moscow, Russia; cost me about 475 euros (R 20 300).

I'm using the bundled dual-link DVI cable.

I also bought a DisplayPort cable today in hopes to get automatic mode switching, but the cable turned out to be faulty - the screen is always blank, even in BIOS POST setup, and I keep getting "DisplayPort Link Failure" messages when I switch back to DVI.

Catalyst 11.8 preview now supports automatic switching over DVI, so no use for this cable anymore.

How does Xfire improve the frame rates, exactly?

Interesting. My monitor came bundled with TriDef Syncmaster 3D Game Launcher version 1.0.19 and this version does not have any means to manually choose the stereo mode, it's detected automatically. The release notes for the latest version 1.1.2 say that manual selection was removed as of version 1.1 :confused:

Anyway, with the Catalyst 11.8 preview, TriDef 1.1.2 now automatically actovates frame sequential mode, no need to press the 3D button anymore - you only need to power up the glasses when you see the message on the screen, and the glasses even turn off when the stereo mode ends.
    iZ3D driver works with "AMD HD3D (HDMI 1.4a)" and "120 Hz 3D Devices" output modes, too.

So my assumption turned partially incorrect - you do get automatic AMD HD3D on your monitor (i.e. 120 Hz frame sequential mode) with the latest Catalyst 11.8 drivers when you install the latest TriDef or iZ3D stereo drivers that support AMD HD3 (i.e. the AMD quad-buffer API)... this "AMD HD3D" marketing talk can't be any easier to understand for an unexperienced user, can it? :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011