AMD Radeon DDR3 memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Aug 8, 2011.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    technically hes right, to a certain extent.

there is only a small difference between 1333mhz and 1600mhz. with timings that high, especially @ CL11, will negate most of that speed advantage. I would recommend the 1333mhz memory simply because you wont see the difference unless your benchmarking.

2. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    LOL....Well I didn't call him stupid. I asked him if he was stupid and blind because you would have to be blind to not notice the cheap price and stupid you post "nothing to see here"...

Just my take on it..

P.S: I really hate stupid people. It is my biggest pet-peave of anything in life...

3. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Is someone who doesn't agree with you/have a similar view to you "stupid" then? :3eyes:

4. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    I remember reading, that they are mostly made for APU cpu´s.

They shouldnt have any issues at all on working on APU´s.

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    2GB DDR3-1600 1.5v 11-11-11 timings really is a fail. There is no excuse for those timings.

6. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    ... or the 1600 MHz kind if you're overclocking a CPU that support only up to 1333 MHz memory. ;)

I say it's a good move on AMD's part. It might be value memory, but for people who buy pre-built rigs, it could mean more money towards AMD's pockets, which isn't a bad thing at all.

7. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Bring on the DDR5 RAM! or...use the GPU memory as system RAM. Now that would be innovation.

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I think you meant 1600-c9 will perform no better than 1600-c11.

On sandy bridge, atleast, memory timings don't mean much, it's all memory frequency.

9. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    DDR4 is on its way; I read about it like... five or six months ago.

Hasn't it pretty much always been that way? I mean, I remember having read the same thing (i.e. frequencies over timings) about Core 2 CPUs and Pentium 4s as well (though I could be wrong about the latter).

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Before the core 2 architecture and even during, especially with amd based systems latency was as important if not more so with lower clock memory chips. Though with core 2 it started to shift more towards memory frequency and high bandwidth, with sandy bridge that trend just got a lot more evident as going from cl 11 to cl 7 on a 1600 mhz ddr3 chips wil probably make minimal difference.

I haven't got my cl7 memory chips in my computer atm but I could have done a quick comparison.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Phenom II doesn't care for timings over frequency either. You'll always get better benchies with higher frequencies.

12. midweskid

midweskid Guest

Awesome pricing. :D

13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    memory timings affects performance? really?

So much hate over timings? Give me a chart proofing that higher timings DDR3 will drastically affect FPS in games or whatever.

It's not DDR2 with north bridge fsb...
    and damn... so much obsession with timings...

14. Elysianarcane

Elysianarcane Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6620G 512MB
    I'm curious to see how AMD fairs in this market, personally i think it is a good move for AMD,

it all depends on how they fair. but so long as AMD keeps their core values on what we see from them currently, i might grab some for my self.

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The memory is about $10-$20. Can't complain too much there. This isn't memory made for overclocking or high performance now. :D

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

16. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I downgraded from 1600mhz CL8 to 1333 CL9. Haven't noticed that it is slower.
    Memory speed doesn't really do a lot on the motherboard, it's not like memory speed on graphic cards. It's more important to have a lot of it...

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Drop those DDR3-1600 CL11 timings to CL8 and then we'll talk AMD.

However, DDR3-1333 CL9 is amazing at $10 ... that's $10 f**kin' dollars, that's dirt cheap!

deltatux

18. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Don't look the timings, thoses DDR are release for APU, where stability is a big concern . (or it corrupt graphics )

Thoses timings are the exact DDR3 timings rated by Jedec for 1.5V.
    All brand have thoses type of Standard DDR3... It's us who don't use standard DDR3 .. we use pre overclocked and tighten timings DDR kits.

1.65V for 6-8-6-6 1T for my Mushkin, are all but not standard.

AMD don't release thoses ram for enter enthusiast DDR market vs Corsair, G-Skill etc... they just want to provide, certified DDR kits 100% error free ( this is not the case of our ram at all . but for the system it's not important, for the gpu it is. )

All producteed chips RAM are like that
    Samsung
    http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/productList.do?fmly_id=691&xFmly_id=690

Micron:
    http://www.micron.com/partscatalog.html?categoryPath=products/parametric/DRAM/ddr3_SDRAM

Elpida:
    http://www.elpida.com/en/products/ddr3module.html

etc...

It's entreprise as Corsair- G-skill who take thoses chips, and set timings and speed as they want .

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  19. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    i dont know but naming them radeon and giving them such poor performance... they should just be named AMD or have invented another name with amd by its side. this memory gives a bad reputation to the radeon brand. IMO

20. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Lane actually said something that makes sense, thank you.