Brink - Steam Free Play Weekend

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CPC_RedDawn, Aug 6, 2011.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Passed on this due to all the bugs people were reporting, and now I have given it a shot with the free weekend and I gotta say I am very impressed so far. Only at level 6 and only done about 4 missions but its a great game so far. Graphics are nice, character models are the best, maps are a little meh and the free running at first does not seem to work but after a while you get used to it and it feels nice. Gun sounds are awesome, and they feel like they pack a punch I love the Sea Deagle pistol (it makes one hell of a noise). The upgrades for your character are more or less unlimited and the gun customization makes Call of Duty's attempt look like childs play in comparison.

Just wish I could find some people to play with as starting a game and Ive played four missions and not one single person has joined the game. Finding people in this game is ridiculous, there are no server lists at all. I can not seem to find anywhere to join someone elses game and the A.I on the bots are just stupid which makes the game playing on your own pretty damn easy.

Overall for £15, you have little to moan about, the game is finally polished and I get max settings with config tweaks to improve FOV, etc at 1080p can pull 60fps consistent. I think I shall buy this one to pass the time til RAGE, Skyrim, and BF3 get released :)

What do you guys think, anyone trying out the Free play?

2. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    The multiplayer server lists are found in the freeplay.

Click Freeplay then make sure server source is set to internet, then click search. You'll get a list of hundreds of servers. Servers with 8 max players are CO-OP vs bots servers, and servers with 16 max players are 8v8 team pvp servers.

I've been playing this game off and on since it released. I enjoy it. I mainly play engineer, but sometimes switch to medic if the team needs it. Soldier and Operative don't really appeal to me.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  3. spamkebab

spamkebab Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 480gtx
    I'm well and truly glad that i didn't spend my dosh on this. I had this in my wishlist for months but passed on it when it was released. After playing the free play i can see i aint missed out on much. Disappointing really. Thats only my opinion i hope you guys that purchased this are really enjoying the game, each to their own i guess.

4. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    you can buy it from Amazon for £8, and add the key to steam

5. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    The game is horrible...

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Agreed.
    I downloaded it and played it the other day on STEAM since it's free for the weekend.
    Tried a few matches by myself... and did a few online.

Hate it. Absolutely hate it.

7. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    I got only 30 fps capped on begin gameplay (singleplayer - SOLO) :confused: despite my pc got 80fps but I got not performance limited (my pc got 210 fps) on menu main at 1024x768@85Hz w/ all max setting except motion blur OFF after downloaded this game "free".

I have win7 x64-SP1 with AMD x6 1055T and GTX480-v275.33whql driver.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  8. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    sadly i bought it tryd it and also didnt like it for some reason but only playd single player. its prolly better online and better yet when its online with friends

9. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    It uses the IDtech engine, which if I remember correctly has some kind of listening server which caps frame rate in single player games. Multiplayer doesn't have that issue. There is a workaround for single player games, but you need to install and run the dedicated server program in the background. Kind of a silly fix though.

10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    lol i liked it, SP was dull but MP is where it shines.

Perf. is great too, i see they improved AO - no more 30fps caps..

I got min 67fps, avg in all maps around 80-120fps or so.. Everything maxed with normal aa.:nerd:

11. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    I think it's an okay game. The GUI is a bit clunky to use. I'd get it if it was cheaper.

12. korn666

korn666 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 295
    yup:stewpid:

13. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    Terrible console port...

14. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yeah this game is absolutely terrible. Clunky interface and boring game play. The guns feel like they are shooting BB's at people. They have no real punch. Nothing does. The grenades are even weak feeling.

Very happy I didn't buy this game.

15. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    i take my earlier comment back. the game is good playing with friends. to the comment above. dont know what u did. but guns pack a pretty good punch and they sound very good. it takes a bit of learning to start enjoying the game.

16. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    i bought it, enjoyed it for about a month and then just stopped playing and have no plans to play again.

the game is adequate, there isn't much variety to the game. it's basically the same thing over and over and over again.
    i got tired of it pretty quickly and just stopped playing it altogether. also was seriously dissappointed in the non-existant SP mode.

not to mention stupid little things in the customizations option wich were just annoying, and for a game that is basically ALL about customization, it seemed rushed.
    like for example, if you choose a hat, you can't choose your hair. and if you choose a hat, you can't change your hair.
    same goes for the sunglasses/masks/facepaint. the game just doesn't have anywhere near the content for the price it was released.
    it should have been no more than $30 dollars at release. the only thing this game as alot of, is adequacy.

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    hmmm very mixed views on this game. I dont know what it is, I just like the feel of the game, yeah its a little clunky, and like someone said the GUI is a little lacking. But the art style (not the graphical prowess) especially on the characters is something I really like. On my system I get maxed out @ 1080p around 90-120fps even in full games with tons of shiz happening. I just use vsync though as it feels better using it. To me it seems polished in terms of performance, just needs a little refining in certain areas.

It is from the same people who brought us Team Fortress.

18. spamkebab

spamkebab Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 480gtx
    Only hope RAGE doesn't let me down. I'm tired of buying games that are well under par to what was hyped so i simply wait for the xmas and summer steam sales now. Plus my rig can play last years games better lol.

19. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    Better guns are unlocked via challenges, and some grenades can damn near one shot you at times. The visual feedback of grenades isn't a 500 meter fireball, but they certainly are dangerous.

My intention is not to be rude, so forgive me if the following sounds so. While I agree that having set objectives formatted into a story in MP feels like it lacks variety, I never understand this statement for this game or any other. Every game is the same thing over and over again. Even "big name games" like COD, TF2, BF, ect are the same thing over and over. Once you have done it all, it is all the same to you. What is possibly different in other games that makes this statement valid? Even the random spawns in Left 4 Dead are the same thing over and over. The game isn't fundamentally changed every time you play it. How does this statement make sense?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  20. SamW

SamW Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Coming from Wolfenstein: Enemy Territories, as the last game of this type. I think the game is being limited by it's graphics fidelity. Everything seems to be boxed in and is just a series of medium to small corridors. I believe this is simply due to having to manage the performance of the game. Everything is cramp. Also because everything is cramp, the guns have a lot of spread since you are going to engage from such close range anyways.

I think the levels have to be opened up, reduce weapon spread, increase grenade radius and in general spread everything out more.

I think I will blame console's needs for overly shiny graphics budgeted for lackluster hardware. That is what makes a game a console port.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011