EA admits 3D is no winner

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Aug 2, 2011.

1. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    But who the hell are EA to tell me what I want regarding 3d? I bought an Nvidia card, a 120hz screen, 4 pairs of glasses and a bluray drive, where in that sentence do I say Nvidia put a gun to my head? Its all driver based anyway, it can play any game in stereo 3d through the drivers, EA's input is not necessary.

@laughing ma, do you have a 3d screen? I dont see it as hit and miss, Ive got tonnes of 3d content and games that make me feel all fuzzy inside when I play them, sorry dont want to force feed you but powerdvd 11 is amazing in its ability to convert anything to 3d real time and get it right first time, also nvidia 3d development is where its at, the game support is staggering, again why do I need EA's input?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    3D gaming has been around for a very long time - my first experience with it was when Voodoo cards were the hottest video cards. Not a lot has changed at all in the technology, at least consumer wise. The biggest downfall then that continues to now is that the shutter glasses suck to wear, tend to cause a lot of eye strain causing headaches if you use them for a modest amount of time.

That said, I was totally amazed back then when I first played around with it, but it quickly got old and the issues with them made it so I didn't actually enjoy playing any games - it was more just cool to look at for a while.

When glasses-less 3D technology matures I'm sure 3D game will be a lot more adopted.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    EA aren't telling you what you want regarding 3D though, they are just saying they aren't going to spend much time on it until the adoption of 3DTV's picks up, which to me seems like a fair point.

I don't hold much hope for glasses-less 3D to be any good, or any better than the tech's that tried to fake 5.1 with 2 speakers, which were at best ok if you were in the sweet spot, but crap if you weren't.

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    When 3D begins to be used in movies, games, etc correctly then I will probably move over to using it, as it stands now I have no urge to use it, or own the ability to use it as I've seen very few things that use it in manner that makes a difference, and to me the headache is also not worth it right now either.

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i love 3d but i can't use it, i suffer from classic migraines with aura and they easily precipitate an attack causing me to spend the next 3 days in bed with nausea, vomiting, partial numbness and a headache from hell.

however i refuse EA claim that 3D gaming is not taking off, most of my friends love 3d.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Be careful what you ask for, Nintedo might spit out a Virtua Boy 2 or something but they'll associate the name with urine somehow. Now that thing gave headaches.

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Then why the rage? All EA did is tell us what we already know, that 3D is a fad right now that has had limited adoption by most people. If the tech you have gives you 3D without the game developer needing to do anything then what does it matter what EA says?

The problem there mate is that you aren't the majority. Many people do see it as hit and miss and that's not just one set of 3D tech but it is across the full range right from 3D with glasses in the cinema right through to glassesless 3D with that new Nintendo console that is portable and uses 3D and for some reason you can't put the name here because it edits it, The other factor is that 3D seems to be an all pervasive virus that needs to be added to whatever new media you are releasing irrespective of weather it adds anything to the media and in some cases added even when it makes the media worse, GT5 for example.

8. panaghoy88

panaghoy88 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 560 1 GB DDR5
    I bet the only people who are using 3D right now are the ones with money and enthusiasm. I'm all about practicality. The requirements for 3D gaming is expensive and inaccessible. I don't shop online so going to stores is my only option. None of the stores I went to don't have 120Hz monitors. Worse AMD support in 3D is virtually non-existent. Make 3D affordable or this fad will fail.

9. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz

ha, same here...i hate 3d..i cant use it too..i also have migrane and that sadly often...

anyway, i dont like this 3d hype at all..i tried it and it looked strange, washed out colours etc..I wish they would focus on High Def instead of 3d..like they did or are going to do with the new batman movie.. no 3d there..only IMAX and high def..thats much better...

i dont like this 3d at all...

just my opinion...:3eyes:

10. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    Im not raging mate just stating mostly I dont like ea's statements at the best of times and them saying this is just more bs for the pile. Fair enuff Im not the majority but wish people would cut the bull about 3d, the majority of users who bought it love it and theres nobody that can deny that, most people who rubish the tech either cant afford it or is just guessing that its crap in my opinion ONLY. To the point actually Ive a mate who kept saying its utter sheit, headaches, nausea etc etc etc untill he had a go on batman on my rig, he soon changed his mind.

In saying all this there is one thing I HATE about 3d and thats the 3DS, garbage.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

11. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    this is not new and it is not as expensive as it was. you can go grab a samsung 51" 3dtv for $999. i say thats a superb price. and there are cheaper. there is a problem with 3d done right and 3d done wrong. and I notice it alot specially on movies. i own 30+ bluray 3d movies and i am happy with the tech for movies and specially for games. some games make my YAW drop.

That 3d could be better? HELL YES. but i can also say the same for any piece of tech you can think of. everything can be better

12. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    I am not an enthusiast by any means nor loaded- when I wanted to upgrade from an old 1024.768 display to a nice new 24 inch I just got a 3d model- it was about £50 more and then a further 100 for the 3d glasses which I think is fairly reasonable

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, I don’t think it’s expensive either; you can pick up 120hz monitors quite cheap now, then add the glasses at a later date, and they have the advantages of you also having a better screen for 2D too.

3DTV’s are now at similar prices to what 1080p TV’s were several years ago, so it must be selling reasonably well or the prices wouldn’t be dropping.

Whether people like it or not, you have to remember most tech like this starts off life as a gimmick to get people out the home, and into the cinema.
    In the 1950’s it was Widescreen, which ended up leading to "gimmicky" super wide aspect ratio’s for a while, then it was surround sound, and while watching a widescreen movie/game with surround sound won’t make it a better movie or game, it add’s to the immersion, to me 3D is no different.

14. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Lol, i forgot about that mess. But the VB is hardly VR. No wonder it was a flop. Also the only console where it was fairly cheap to own the whole games library, since there weren't that many games released.
    Same fate as the flopped N64DD.

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Can't say that I disagree with this, 3d gaming isn't a big priority to me. For screens that do 3d without glasses like on the 3ds, or the Evo 3d it kills my head anyway.

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Can't stand 3D, I think it's just a recurring fad that just won't die for good. Not sure why I want artificial 3D, what we have now is already pretty good and 3D just makes your head spin instead.

What I do know is that 3D may have flatlined and that the fad may now start to recede as Nintendo's been reporting poor sales and may have to take a loss on the Nintendo 3 DS.

deltatux

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It won't die because many people still like it, and millions are willing to pay extra to watch a 3D showing of a movie at the cinema over the 2D one.

3DS is doing bad because 3D doesn't work on a small screen, and spec-less works even worse at this stage.

Also if TV prices are going down, it means sales are picking up more than anything.

I don't mind that people don't like it, but i don't get why those who hate it seem to spend so much time complaining about it and wanting it to fail, seems incredibly selfish towards the people who do like it.

Reminds me of some of my audiophile friends who have spent years screaming for 5/7.1 to fail, if anything that is more understandable, as there is no longer a 2.0 option for movies, but there is still a 2D option, and there likely always will be.

18. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Are we actually sure of that, or is it because there's no choice in the matter?

Many movies making it to my local cinema only ever appear in 3D, or run in 3D first or in the better salons. That doesn't leave much in the way of fair comparison, since if I want to watch said movie at the cinema at all I have to do so in 3D.

Believe me, if I could choose to watch every movie in 2D in the better salons I would.

Personally I don't enjoy it at all, what it takes away from the experience far outweighs what it brings to it. IMHO 3D won't truly take off until it's dongle-free and with no actual compromise in image quality.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Suppose, haven't been eveywhere, as only judging it here, and there are many 2D showing available, but in general there are less.

I was judging it on seeing the last Harry Potter movie with the GF a few weeks back, were i could walk straight into a 2D showing even though the 2D one was on less screens, but we had to wait 4 hours before getting seats for the 3D showing.

3D is the only reason i go to the cinema these days, i would rather wait for the BluRay as i feel i can get better image and sound quality at home.

Saying that, was a waste, upscaled in post production crap apart form the CGI effects.

I don't think 3D will every truly take off, nor do i think it has to, as i keep saying surround sound has never truly taken off, but still leads a very healthy existence without needing to be in every home.

20. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That is indeed very true!

That said I do believe the technology has to mature a lot even before aspiring to such a position, after all surround sound doesn't have any real 'cost' associated with it.

Frankly I don't care either way, I'd just be a lot happier if the powers that be stopped trying to shove '3D' down my throat at every opportunity.