OCing 2600k

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by bvuong, Aug 2, 2011.

1. bvuong

bvuong Guest

GPU:
    sapphire hd 6970
    Hello!

I'm trying to oc my i7-2600k but every time i do so using the easy method of just clicking "extreme" where it overclocks to 4.2 to 4.5ghz i'll bsod after 5 to 10 minutes, my temperature is fine i'm using p67 sabertooth motherboard 8gb corsair dominators, sapphire hd 6970 and i cant get to a stable overclock.

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    from what I have read you need to OC via the multiplier and leave the base clock alone. Also upping the voltages is a must for such a high overclock. Just read up about safe voltages for your chip as I am not too sure what they are.

hope this helps.

3. bvuong

bvuong Guest

GPU:
    sapphire hd 6970
    yes thanks for the tip i'll try to manually OC, i would think the motherboard OC would be safe though. theres a new bios that comes with the sandybridge motherboards from asus which allows for easy OC by just hitting one button, but its not stable for me.

4. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    It should be OK to use the mobo preset Oc although it'll pump way to much volts to keep the CPU stable. Try just upping the multi to 42, leave everything else on default.

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I wouldn't use the auto overclock feature for anything higher than a 46 multi, otherwise the board tends to push insane amounts of voltage through the chip, something like 1.52v for 4.8Ghz.

ps. you might want to check your memory voltages in the bios, it might be defaulting to 1.5v but most older ddr3 sticks require closer to 1.65v.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
  6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Correct. My previous Corsair Dominator was rated at 1.65.

I manually had to change this in the bios to 1.5V

One of the reasons I bought the newer and faster Corsair Vengeance.