AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. chest_rockwell

chest_rockwell Guest

GPU:
    cfire 5850 1gb
    I just installed 11.7 after uninstalling Genetix 5.10.... company of heroes score jumped 270max-160min to "198min - 390max"..... same with world in conflict (dx10) title and BC2, dx11 title. amazing driver indeed

2. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    TwL, plz don't forget your loyal 4xxx series followers, although we are almost extinct.

3. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yeah, and this '11.8' is faster on DX is a bogus.

I am currently testing what @Mineria suggested above and I catched DX9,10 (DX11 having issues) results with the 11.8 preview and 11.7 and
    actually 11.7 WHQL is 1 FPS faster (even on release notes suggested Crysis).

However, there is an improvement over 11.7 at the 11.8 preview. These todays game engines increases invisibly what is displayed and what is not to
    balance the speed. The 11.8 displays for example at Crysis more to screen on characters as well on textures and the 11.7 WHQL set.

funny you mentioned I am just looking at 11.7a AGP hotfix release. ;P

@commonly

Well, after now checking 11.7, 11.8 preview and continuing to 11.6b next. I have to say that the difference on current drivers is so very small. As far I
    can see main difference is that there is more displayed with almost no cost of FPS at 11.8 preview while it has some issues (at DX11 Crysis 2 for example).

The 11.7 as an driver is pretty freaking good from AMD. I haven't even checked the processing yet, but the fact that in gaming it seems to work
    near the perfection can only give congrats to AMD/ATI driver team.

(Funny, in a sense that I was waiting so long for 11.7 come alive for new features and now that it's here I got nothing to mod it with as 11.8 is slower
    and there is only 2 choices to be added as in CAP + process through smaller code.)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  4. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    I haven't tried the 11.7's; I'm still using July 4th 11.6b hotfix drivers so I didn't even know there was an issue with the 11.7's and 4xxx cards. :)

5. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yeah, well. HD4 card is kind worst scenario nightmare currently as AMD is optimizing mostly DX11(Although, it's almost the same as DX10,10.1) now
    and there all current drivers are DX10 10.1 11 based. So, for a decent DX9 driver which you surely want it'll have to be 11.6a,b or 11.7a and probably
    none of those are any decent on optimization.

However, the processing at the new WHQL 11.7 is so damn impressive (although, can't say the same on quality of textures) that this driver would
    almost be worth to mod over DX9 only cards like HD2-3 even which is what AMD probably did at 11.7a.

@commonly

Seems we have a pretty bad quality issues on AMD new drivers going on after all. More specifically the 'access time' from memory or CPU to the
    cards is pretty horrible (not sure what I could do about it, but we'll see) and the processing PCIE system wide seems really disaster (not sure what I can
    do to this either or even is this Intel Corporation responsible for sticky response or as usual by optimizing the AMD code things has been fixed so far).

11.6 and 11.6b: Has MLAA issues (applied over all system) + display resets.
    11.7 WHQL: Pretty good driver bad AI and processing is quite fluid, but suffers in performance.
    11.8 preview: Has issues on tesselation and shadows application more specifically at DX11. No gain performance over 11.7 at all no matter what what the release notes say.

Overclocking is currently 'not allowed' it seems (what I mean is that driver handles the access time actually worst while cards works faster). All-in-all I think I'll build driver anyway.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I thought MLAA was an issue :p
    MLAA is the ****tiest thing AMD ever could come up with, I can't understand how some people believe that it even looks remotely any good.

7. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I thought this clean was clean from irrational comments, far away from individuals who want a few seconds of spotlights by typing in uninformed comment quite a million miles from anything related to Catalyst or Modified Catalyst or OP's views. :)

---------------

Back to CAT's, is there any possibility to check video memory usage via drivers!

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Well just my way of saying that MLAA isn't worth using any time on.

9. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Mineria

Sadly the Video Memory specs haven't been released by AMD/ATI. So, only option would be OpenCL, but those specs are bad also as splitted 256MB. Actually, hoping Wizzzard gets the data out of AMD as the info is there. :(

@commonly

Genetix Cleaner v4.91 - Stand-Alone ATI/NVIDIA clean-up system - [01.08.2011]:

* Fixed multiple bugs
    * Fixed the new AMD OpenCL clean-up
    * Restored some of folders for AMD side
    * NVIDIA cleaning not verified yet.
    * Functionality over laptops is questionable. (Should work just fine, but the installation style over laptops more specifically at Intel+AMD hybrid systems might fail because of AMD side cleaning might clean some of registry entries used by Intel.)

x86 / 32-bit - x64 / 64-bit:
    Mirror 01 [ZippyShare] - Mirror 02 [MediaFire]
    MD5: 9ae39fcd4ccad83fdc30f7028ee999c1

New clean up for starters and continuing to 11.7 modding. The 11.6b is good one but not what we need to mod the 11.7 and 11.8 again has better
    or more rich improved DX10-11, but it suffers really bad issues again on processing all the data/GPU load.

-edit-

Mental Note to those with <any>67 chipset motherboards with 3 slot PCIe 2.0 and NVIDIA+AMD GPU:
    Now, I try to be as direct as usual.

Installation Hardware:
    AMD <any> Graphics card or CrossFireX
    NVIDIA PhysX card

Problem:
    * PCI-Express slots 1-2 are Shared (x8-x8 while board slots are utilized)
    * Almost all ATX cases run out of space to utilize PCI-Express Slot 3

Solutions:
    * Utilize Slots 1 and 3. (This will gain an 7,8Gbit connection to primary AMD card + x4 PCI-Express lane for NVIDIA Physics processing)
    * There is no real solutions for running out of space on bottom of box if the power supply (like on many cases like my own 'Antec 900') runs out of space to attach the 3rd PCIe slot + the fact that the space of the back slots will run out. However, in scenario I actually dropped Power supply to front of box and attached really small cooler for NVIDIA card. (you might as well actually drop the PSU in from the back I considered this myself for next task to be done I mean literally out of the box.)

This will be looking as x16 + x4 and not x8-x8 for AMD-NVIDIA. Also this same of course works for x8-x8-x4, but this is the usual setup for CrossfireX. I mainly wanted to make an Mental note for those who own an small NVIDIA card + something like HD6990 like myself which really needs the x16 slot to be utilized in full.

Update for whole topic:

#1:
    We will be removing all version numbers soon. and just dates soon.

Ideally, we would only improve 1 good driver (seems to be 11.7 WHQL unless they build some a bit better preview/beta/alpha than the 11.8) and just update the scripts.

#2:
    I will wipe the first topic clean soon(Probably tomorrow) for update and we will have new install instructions (little less messing). Our driver installer will be going and we will be using AMD installers from now on.

NOTE #1: The MSI installers will be modified (but only to state to include the DeviceIDs for Mobility, AGP and HD2-4 series of cards).
    NOTE #2: All files will still be official files there will never be an modified version of any driver files or applications.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  10. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    TwL, do you know what causes fraps screenshots to freeze games that are streaming data?

is this related to the bad mem/cpu to gpu or pcie access times you were talking about?

example:
    mx vs atv reflex no patch - screenshot button doesnt affect fps
    patch2 - data is streamed, screenshot button freezes & stutters the gfx while the image is saved

some unreal engine games do it, i'll try disable streaming on one to see if it fixes it

11. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    I believe this is the actual codec causing this. You could try to use something else like ffdshow over fraps. Although, no matter what you use is
    it fraps, afterburner the screens still going to freeze up while taking the shot. It's not like saving a frame on movie.

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Will be interesting to see how this LucidLogix can perform.
    I saw some test on youtube which probably wasn't that good thought trough, cause the 3DMark Score he got with a 5870 + 480 I get on my 5870 already, and that with a card at stock settings.
    I'm not sure how much the user can control with their software either, looks kinda limited, would be nice if it was possible to tell the chip that this card does AA while the other does AF and so on.
    But might be that the premade profiles are good, be sure to tell more about your experience with it :)

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Which version of fraps are you using?
    Freezing and stuttering is usual if you save your images in the best format (tga?) and high resolutions thou.

14. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Control is zero and this LucidLogix system literally sucks.

basically even on dedicated GPU (dGPU) this system selects on DX9 title the iGPU to slow down the dGPU. Sad thing.

Plus seems these people are bold enough to screw up on AMD/NVIDIA hybrid setups as well. A. You cannot enable the Lucid VIRTU unless you
    enable the iGPU also this means there's Intel, NVIDIA and AMD chips on board and this is where Lucid systems say haywire, lol (In matter of fact
    whole lucid software crashes and every single application/game will crash while profile is made for them). Funny thing also is that you can install Intel
    Corporations crappy OpenCL SDK, but it doesn't WORK without their own compilers lame. So, even to utilize the iGPU + dGPU at something like
    DirectCompute or OpenCL will not work (Not even if there is display attached or oldschool fake display ;P).

Currently I am thinking what would happen if you would have iGPU enabled on BIOS to gain Lucid Logix and then offline the SB iGPU at OS and then drop LucidLogix on there.

-edit-

seems above disable iGPU won't work either. Lucid VIRTU Software can't handle it, lol. :(

@commonly

Well, seems we got a lot more issues than I originally though.

11.7->11.8 - so far:
    * AMD LCD Overdrive is totally unfunctional.
    * The processing seems to still be an issue at least on 11.8 (haven't verified on 11.7 as it seemed pretty good). CPU will bottleneck really easily
    specifically on AMDs own CPUs.
    * MLAA is too well functional over all while enabled.
    * AA levels application in few titles seems to have CAP issues over CAP1 even.

Possible issue unsure, if releated on Intel LGA1155 PCI-Express:
    * PCI-Express CPU<->GPU speed interface has dropped to 6,3GB/s from 7,8GB/s. This might be because of Intel LGA1155 new specifications, but
    mode is at x16 and it's not shared with anything.

Beside that seems that my 850W OCZ GameXStream is begin to give up. I calculated that it can handle the ~82A HD5850, but not CFX and more over
    no way in hell over clocked Sandy Bridge dumping 142Watts + MB load and rest of the hardware. :(

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  15. mmsandi

mmsandi Master Guru

GPU:
    How did you calculate that one? I've got two of 5850 and Q9550@4Ghz on a 60A power supply.

16. chest_rockwell

chest_rockwell Guest

GPU:
    cfire 5850 1gb
    yeah that bothered me too... I got 5850 crossfired 800 - 1100 clocks and 4.5ghz SB 2500k cpu with some hdds on raid - only 650watt power supply. Ofc its only 1 year old psu, maybe your 850 is real old TwL??

17. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Simply method of Furmark + LinX.. and Framerates dropped when PSU started keeping noises. So, checked the rails they are all fine and output according to my meter and components are still ok. Total power draw was 140-145W /1.328v CPU, 9800GTX card at 1.00V + HD5850 at 1.200v 81A according aida64.

and nah, PSU ain't that old it'll be still well on warranty, but I think, if tested it still would be in ok levels at +80%. Plus the 12V / 5V / 3.3V Rails seems to be rock solid.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  18. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    regarding the fraps problem, i'm saving PNGs & i said different versions of the same exact game on the same exact drivers produce entirely different results

it freezes when a game is designed to constantly stream data instead of keep it in memory

i even have the game on a separate drive than where the screenshot gets saved (this is in AHCI mode)

taking a video does not freeze

i'll look for a smaller easier game to test

19. chest_rockwell

chest_rockwell Guest

GPU:
    cfire 5850 1gb
    I had some issues with fraps too. radeon pro's screenshot feature is better imo

20. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU