Phenom TLB disable still in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Valagard, Nov 21, 2009.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I know what you mean, I'm pretty sure the bug was "marketed" by Intel pretty heavily to destroy AMD's reputation.

2. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    DAMN this **** is real:3eyes:, damn you MICRO$$$OFT...I have already runned this TLB patch and worked for me on Vista 64 and a X6-1090T installed on a 990 FX Crosshair V mainboard. The memory read rised from ca. 8200 to ca. 8600 and write rised from 6400 to 6800 in Aida 64.

In Alfa Protocol it feels more fluid, didn't tested more but I'll do it tomnorrow.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Intel's LGA1366 Core i7 and Xeon processors "suffer" from this exact same "bug".... Intel's fix was to release a set of guidelines for how to use the TLB properly to avoid potential errors.

4. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Try it,anyway there's nothing to lose if it works.:flip:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

5. GeekonaScooter

GeekonaScooter Guest

GPU:
    n/a
    My Research on TLB and Phenomx4 Q9600

I was helping a client of ours. He bought a gateway gm5664 with a Phenom x4 q9600. Plagued with BSOD Second Interval Processor errors. Gateway put said processor in a motherboard that was only rated to power processors under 65 watts or something and the phenom processor needs 95watts available to power it. Then did some more research and testing the processors specifically the q9600 and q9500 series processors are plagued with many problems. I also tested the processor in Asus M3N78-VM motherboard same issue... I have read info on all bios updates for both motherboards, non correct the processor issue. TLB limits your performance greatly read below for more info on that.

TLB disables use of the other cores so the first processor is the only one available. It would be wonderful if they would of set up TLB to give you the option of which processor to be disabled. Then your quad core could be a tri core if you were able to disable the 2nd processor that is failing like my clients scenario. So with TLB your Q9600 BLACK series quad core is now a single core processor using TLB.

Pull your phenom q9600 and throw it out. An athlon 64x2 dual core 5200+ 2.7 dual core for example is also compatible with this machine and the windows experience rating did not even change still 4.2 in this case. The Phenomx4 Black series was rushed to production to bolster revenues to help save AMD's company. When I contacted AMD they said "Gateway requested the processors. We are not responsible for the processor failure due to Gateway putting them in motherboards underpowering the processor." Which is funny considering how many of these processors are failing in many different machines when used as a non overclocked 2.3ghz quad core. Very disappointing. Normally love AMD but not in this particular scenario.

If you change your processor and tlb is still limiting your computer after changing the processor. To get tlb disabled, I restored prior to disabling TLB in bios. Then went into msconfig in boot tab under advanced and changed number of processors from 1 to 2 then applied settings. Rebooted. I also disabled cool and quiet and enabled smart fan to keep the processor from being underpowered and allowed the fan to speed up when necessary to keep the processor cool. Who cares about quiet today lol. Lets just get it working.

Good luck. Hope some of this info saves you a lot of time wasted on the Phenom x4 Q9600 Processor...

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    TLB does not disable any cores. TLB is the Translation Lookaside Buffer. It has nothing to do with the cores themselves.
    If AMD were found to be marketing a quad core processor that could not function properly with all 4 cores enabled, they'd be facing charges in nearly every country.

Go read before posting more bull**** like this in a thread that's 27 months old...
    Translation Lookaside Buffer

And any "clients" you have....should find someone that actually knows what they're doing because you're clueless.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lol @ changing the # of processors in msconfig. So many newbies have made that mistake, not realizing it only applies to dual socket systems.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^It only affects the number of cores used for booting anyway.....