Which graphics card should I get?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by deltatux, Jul 20, 2011.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I can't find them in any of the stores I shop at (I have a pool of about 5 stores in my selection).

My budget is/was C$200 before taxes. The card I ordered is about $170.

deltatux

2. johnny87au

johnny87au Guest

Ahhh, makes sense then :)

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well, I got the card during the afternoon and noticed this issue, it's now starting to tick me off. As you guys know, I've been anticipating an upgrade for a while and now this:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=348383

I emailed XFX to see what they can do before I return it to the store for an exchange (it does take gas to go back to the store just for an exchange).

deltatux

4. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    It could simply be an issue with GPU-Z not reading the speed correctly.

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I can't even get BFBC2 to run at high settings w/ 2xMSAA and HBAO off and maintain 60 fps... (bobs around 52 - 60 fps on open fields, not even heavily populated areas)

I'm playing at 1680x1050. I'm going to see what XFX has to say before I go back to the store since it's a larger hassle and costs me gas.

deltatux

6. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    That does seem low beacuse I game same resolution (1680x1050) all settings on high HBAO set to off 16x AF no FSAA and fraps has me at around 100 as a high with 80's and 90's as the average. But remember my GTX460 is running GTX560 default speeds so bare that in mind when comparing...

*Edit* I ran fraps this morning thinking maybe my scores were too high. Turns out I was wrong. My highest fraps score was 135FPS playing on a full 16 player SDM server. My average score was 105FPS. So my performance is literally double what you are getting same resolution and settings.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  7. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Yes, and you also have a sandybridge cpu at 4.0ghz, so lets bear that in mind as well when comparing... lol :)

8. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    You're right was late when I posted didn't see that he was only running 3GHz. So maybe he FPS is right?

9. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    As postal pointed out to me you are only running 3GHz so perhaps 60FPS is normal for your card then in BC2 high settings?

10. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    I hate to say this to you Deltatux but you really should have took my advice and just bought a GTX460 or GTX560! I tried to convince you several times but you ignored it...I've only been building gaming PC's for I dunno almost 20 years...

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Great, you are awesome. Next?

Everybody got it own experience with video cards, stop telling people to get another nvidia, when there 3 failed for them before.

Whether Nvidia or Radeon, take your poison, both will kill you. Someone just had more like with red or green poison.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Delta, try and RMA it; you might have just had the bad luck of getting a lemon.

@ maleficarus -

Stop putting down AMD cards. The 6870 is an excellent card and a decent competitor to the GTX 560. With the 6870 being far cheaper by him than the 560, there is no point in arguing.

13. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Were did I put down the ATi card anywhere in this thread? And I really don't agree with this "lemon" crap. I have never, not a single time, not ever in almost 20 freaken years bought any cards that just didn't work as advertised! Not a single RMA ever...

So this whole you just bought a bad card thing is nothing but BS. Sure, you might buy odd once-in-a blue moon card that dosen't work for whatever reason but most of you guys RMA hardware at least every other piece of hardware! It just dosen't work like that...YOU guys don't know how to build and cofigure PC's!!

I told him to go Asus. He went XFX and guess what? Something is wrong. I told him to go GTX460 and overclock it to GTX560 speeds. Guess what? He comes back and right off the bat is not happy with the performance. I am not saying I am always right. But there is a really good reason my system specs to the left have what is listed. If people would just listen to me they would see I know how to build gaming PC's. Like I said, I have been doing it since 1996. That means something you know?

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I think I forgot to tell you guys I keep vsync on xD.

Let me try without vsync and see the performance.

EDIT: just tested with vsync off.

Min was about 45 fps, avg. 75 - 85 fps, max 127 fps.

Framerates are a lot more wild with vsync off (same with my Radeon HD 4850 card.

deltatux

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  15. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    That seems more better! Our max frames in on par with eachother which I assume is mainly due to your CPU being 1000MHz slower then mine. My average is a bit higher then yours though being around 100 FPS. My minimum frame rate is much higher never below 60. Having said that, do you think it would have been a better deal going an overclocked GTX460? I am not trying to put-down your upgrade in anyway. Just asking an honest question to you...

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
  17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Considering I have a rather weak PSU and the fact that I had to rely on overclocking to reach said speed, still not really. My wallet would say yes, but even we both know overclocking is never guaranteed.

Personally, I think once this GPU runs at full speed, the framerate goes back to normal. It just fails that it's stuck at the Radeon HD 6850 GPU clock speed and not the promised 900 MHz Radeon HD 6870 stock speed.

Did more test on my thread on this issue.

deltatux

18. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    It is not 1 generation behind though. The GTX560 is the same as the GTX460 but with faster clocks. That is it. Exact same everything else right down to the number of shader cores. If you understood this you would not have posted the above. Also the link you provided means nothing because 1) the bench was using 8x FSAA. 2) the resolution used was a resolution that most do not use. And finally, the GTX460 card they used was not overclocked!

So your above comment is FUD!

19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well, it's not only a faster clocked GTX 460, but really, it's a GTX 460 on a better tweaked and manufactured chip and then clocked higher ;).

deltatux

20. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Maybe so, however it's not like there's a drastic difference in performance between 1920x1080 and 1920x1200.