ATI's SGSSAA better than Nvidia's? I don't think so...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by evil_religion, Jul 5, 2011.

1. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Thanks, you're right it does get rid of some blurring. Although tampering with compatibility bits seems to hurt performance slightly, and textures are still not as crisp as with pure multisampling.

Tried 0x000010C5 too, and it disabled AA completely in Left 4 Dead 2.

2. JimBobb

JimBobb Guest

Sorry, I meant for UT3. Some Unreal3 Engine Games are the "0x000010C5" better.

3. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Yes JimBobb, I figured that thanks ;)

The whole AA compatibility bits is a somewhat of a kludge in my opinion. I prefer not to mess with it unless I really have to.

4. JimBobb

JimBobb Guest

My Opinion is, you get so often better Image Quality offered and only that is what counts. I am glad the NVIDIA allowing this, because you have several Options to increase the Image Quality.

5. Valagard

Valagard Guest

6. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
  7. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Welcome to the party.

8. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Is the screenshot Directx9 or Directx10?.

LOl is the SSAA even applied on Crysis Screenshot!..can you tell me the settings; I will check myself, rather than someone who is biased.

Also; what was the values for r_UseEdgeAA for the screen shots.

cough cough..you didn't even know what AA mode to be used (and even how they work) by ATI or Nvidia until a few days ago.

Can you post screenshots YOU have PERSONALLY TAKEN on Nvidia cards..

I can provide Directx9 SRGSSAA screenshots on my AMD cards on Crysis, Crysis Warhead, COD MW, COD MW2, ANNO 1440, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, Batman Arkham Asylum, Dirt 2, Dragon Age 1 etc..

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  9. evil_religion

evil_religion Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 Vapor-X
    I agree, it's a helpful feature that makes it possible to use AA in games that usually don't support it or it improves AA quality.

Odd. Maybe it's a driver bug for Radeon 69xx or something is wrong with your system. I can get MSAA and SSAA working in UT3 via CCC. Didn't try adaptive MSAA, but I assume it wouldn't be a problem either.

If you read my posts you would know that the screenshot must be DX9 because SSAA dosn't work with DX10 with ATI and Geforce 9.

Are you blind? Of course it is.

DX9 with very high settings "hack".
    AF 16x, 4xSGSSAA. You have to enable 4xMSAA in-game to get it working.
    And I am not biased, you are just a fanboy who can't accept the truth. :stewpid:

It doesn't matter much with DX9 for alpha blending vegetation in this game. Therefore I didn't change this.

There you are mistaken too.

What do you think is this thread about?
    Have you ever seen a school from inside? :bang:

What the hell is SRGSSAA? You mean SGSSAA?
    I can make screenshots too for all those games with my ATI, so you wouldn't be helpful.
    It would be helpful if someone with a Nvidia card could provide screenshots with the right settings.

10. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Anyways I think most of the new users need to know this; it took time to gather the info which I was suspecting when setting(or forcing) SSAA mode in Witcher 2 mode resulted in similar behavior as MSAA..the orange/yellow/white blank screen with dark geometries.(except that the geometrical edges in Witcher 2 were super smooth with SSAA).

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33959894&highlight=SSAA

The same SSAA technique is also used from the drivers for my AMD 6950 card.

So end of discussion, ATI's (AMD's) SSAA isn't a single full screen upscaled/downscaled technique..as Sparse Rotated Grid Super Sampling Anti Aliasing mode (also know as SRGSSAA) is only possible by the above method mentioned (mostly) by fellix_bg.

The End; La Fin; Ende; la Fine; el Fin; конец; エンド; 完;

11. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Could anybody explain what the CCC slider numbers mean with SSAA?

The nChancer names are self-explaining (vertical and horizontal resolution multipliers) but what does 2x SSAA mean? Is it 2:0 / 0:2 or 2:2 ??? Does the 4x SSAA mean 2:2 or 4:4 ???

12. leonmbj

leonmbj Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 5850 1GB(OC)
    WHATTA HELL IS THIS ABOUT ?

I AWAYS have AA working on any game forcing on CCC

Now even in GTA IV and MoH cause MFAA

In fact, the forced AA is better than application AA in most games, like FIFA, Batman

Now if you want to see bits of difference ...

Use max resolution, 4xAA and be happy :)

13. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Please check the previous post in the same page, ATI/AMD's SSAA implementation is different.

Just in case it was all to technical; setting the following values for SSAA multiplier does the following

2xSSAA = Creates two viewport images in the buffers
    4xSSAA = Creates four viewport image in the buffers
    8xSSAA = Creates eight viewport image in the buffers

If I am wrong, please be informative why and how with proof. Thank You..

14. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Thanks.

I did a quick test: No AA ł 4x AMSAA+ED ł 4x SRGSSAA

It's obvious that CFAA (Adaptive Multi Sample AA with Edge Detect filter) tries to do something (some edges look, well... "different") but SRGSSAA can actually smooth the edges and it also seems to be faster.

But even in this relatively old game, I would chose 2x SSAA to keep the fps high. (I didn't mind to get something fluctuating between ~35 and 60 fps on my old LCD but I started to need the fixed 60fps since I use a PDP...)

-----

@Raiga

Thanks.
    I opened your link and went through some pages of that topic but I didn't find to much usable informations.

Does this viewport thing means I need >=4x SRGSSAA to get rid of both vertical and horizontal jaggies (just like with downscaling from 2:2)?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  15. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    When I played ME1, I had 4850. So can't comment about AA in that game..as 4850 wasn't fast enough for Edge Detect nor had SSAA option.

But With 5850, I used to play most of the DX9 games including ME2 with 4xSSAA (not much of FPS hit to cripple the game).

2xSSAA doesn't produce much quality as only 2 sub-pixel samples are taken (if EQ worked on 58xx we could have used 2xEQ+SSAA, by increasing coverage samples to make up for lower number of other count) and 8xSSAA just blurs the screen too much.

-----

when I meant viewport, I meant its the resolution displayed on your monitor.

yeah, 4xSSAA on ATI/AMD cards is equivalent to 2:2 downscaling. But note that its not a real downscale, even thou in some games it might look better than 2:2 (but in some you will notice some odd glitches).

ATI/AMD hasn't been open with respect to this so far...probably to avoid giving information to Nvidia.