Fastest NON SSD hard drive...

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by kanej2007, Jun 26, 2011.

1. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    So why all the hype about SSD drives?

I agree they are smaller, lighter, do not generate heat/noise and in some cases quicker.

However they are very expensive for what they are and should you have a lot of storage/games you will need more than one SSD drive, it can be costly...

2. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    They make windows and games like wow MUCH faster, I am tempted to get an ssd for my 2nd rig and laptop now after getting one for my main rig, they feel like using an old pentium 1 trying to run xp now that my main rig is running an ssd. =\

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Some SSDs have a considerably higher transfer rate. The SATAII or SATA3.0GB/s compliant harddrives can typically transfer from platter to buffer at a rate of 3.0GB/s, but from buffer to controller at a maximum of 300mb/s, with a typical transfer rate of less than 200mb/s. Some SSDs however, can transfer up to the full 300mb/s allowed by the SATAII spec, and are even capable of exceeding this transfer rate.

4. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Buy more ram, run a large cache.

You'll only have to deal with slow load times the first time you load something.

After that, it'll be the same speed. SSD or HDD.

-scheherazade

5. nsol

nsol Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti OC
    I would recommend the Samsung Spinmaster. Great HDD and at just shy of £45 for a 1TB you're getting a great bargain!

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Was actually thinking of getting another 8gb ram to make 16gb, will get this next week... :D

Too late, got the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Internal hard drive - 600 MBps - 7200 rpm

7. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Kane That's a great drive. Enjoy. :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011