6950 BIOS Unlocking (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davetheshrew, Dec 26, 2010.

1. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    thatguy91 :
    Hmm.... never thought about it this way... and honestly - ATM I don't have a clue :)
    Let me check this out once I'm back @ home.
    But IMHO it's just a switch on one of the display ports that redirects the signal to DVI - as I wasn't able to find any reference to a dual-bios in the HD6950 DirectCUII card specs.

Slippy1010 :
    use the PHP mod script, and take your stock BIOS.
    This is the safest solution, for me the RBE method doesn't work - card boots up, but shaders not unlocked, and I get display corruption.
    Using PHP script by W1zzard I was able to mod my own BIOS and unlocked just fine.

2. slippy1010

slippy1010 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950 2GB
    Yea Ive tried the,

W1zzard method, it doesnt work for me, boots but no unlock.
    Winflash folder on desktop and use dos commands, boots but no unlock.
    Dos method and usb stick, pc will not boot after it has been flashed.

The manual method, using my own bios and unlocking shaders with RBE - pc will not boot.

Ive even tried just 850/1275 with the shaders untouched with RBE, then flashing with WINFLASH - the pc crashes.

With software the card will run happy at 910/1400, so dont understand with a simple overclock it will not boot.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  3. weirdgod

weirdgod Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte
    Hello all.

I followed one of the guides on transforming 6950 to 6970, and everything worked fine (i just changed the number of stream processors to 6970's number). Then i tried changing this bios further to move the overclocking limit beyond 880 mhz, and when bios was written to card, on next reboot i only got BLUE SCREEN when booting windows 7...

So, i moved switch on card to position 2, and card boots normally and works (as 6950)... Now, I would like to "fix" the card's no1 bios, so that i would again try the 6970's bios...
    The question is: How do i write good bios to cards no1 bios, without changing switch to "1" position - as there card does not boot. Thanks!

4. Hanky Man

Hanky Man Member

GPU:
    MSI HD6950
    Just boot the card with the working bios and switch to position "1" before you want to flash - that should do it.

5. Andrés

Andrés Guest

That. And don't worry about doing it wrong, the second BIOS is read-only and cannot be overwritten.

6. weirdgod

weirdgod Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte
    thanks! that worked! :)

7. F100D

F100D Guest

GPU:
    GTX580 3GB SLi
    Hiya,

I've got 2 Sapphire 6950s (rev1). I'm about to flash my cards so I've started reading this thread but I've got a bit confused. According to You, Davethesrew, Sapphire owners cannot flash any bios other than the Sapphire bios with unlocked shaders. Is it still the case? I know some Sapphire owners who flashed their cards with 6970 BIOSes and have had no problems so far.

I really don't want to fry my cards so if flashing with 6970 BIOS is risky in my case then I might as well just leave the whole thing since unlocked shaders wouldn't make much of a difference in gaming anyway...

Cheers,

PS: Ok it seems I should not mess about with 6970 bioses. After unlocking the shaders using Wizzard's unlock script what do you think is the highest core/mem clock speed I can set without increasing the voltage?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  8. T_L_O_T_D

T_L_O_T_D Guest

GPU:
    xfx 6950 2gb
    hey guys
    i wanted to unlock my xfx 6950 2 gb and it's reference model. first i used xfx 6950 2gb modded bios to unlock shadders . and i successfully unlocked additional shadder. but problem is i tried to use 6970 xfx 2 gb. when i flashed my bios. my memory clock change to 1375.but core clock is still stock (800) . i checked in gpu-z texture fill rate is 76.8. i increased core clock to 880 but after i lunch a game at the beginning it will stop. but with 1375 memory clock and 800 core clock game is stable. i tried using second method i mean using Msi after burner version 2.1. first of all i flashed with modded bios and tried to increase voltage but in Msi after burner this option is disabled. so i tried to increase voltage via modifying bios in RBE.i've set voltage to 1.1. i flashed card with modified bios but after restarting windows won't boot. and i should place bios position to second position to boot windows again. any idea what should i do?
    p.s: my psu is 585 watt.

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

^If the clock is still at 800 then your card isn't getting the 1.175v needed for 880mhz and as it was a bad flash I suggest you first revert to your original stock bios, make sure everything is working as it should then go for the normal xfx 6970 bios rather than moving from a non reference bios to another.

Each card's different so you'll just have to check and find out, though I'd except 840/850 on the core and 1300 on the memory atleast without overvolting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
  10. scubasun

scubasun Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 6950 2gig
    Hi, Just got my sapphire Radeon 6950 2gig. followed the unlocking guides. I had problems with atiwinflash locking up and slowing my pc down to the point of it not responding in windows. so decided to use the CMD method. Everything seemed to work fine with the 6950 modded bios flash being verified etc, but on restart of my pc my LCD doesnt turn on. I've switched back to setting 2 and followed the guide on how to flash setting 1 back to original etc.But regardless of what modified bios i try on switch setting 1 after pc restart the screen wont turn on. Anyone have an idea to whats happening?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

11. darkgregor

darkgregor Member

GPU:
    Galaxy Gtx 780 Hof stock
    test with this bios

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/88845/Sapphire.HD6970.2048.101124.html

you should pass by the cmd ( dos )right clic execute as administrator
    for overwrite old bios

12. scubasun

scubasun Guest

GPU:
    Hi, Thnx for the reply. Tried that bios flash and same result flashes fine but my screen doesnt turn on/come off standby after the pc had restarted :( [​IMG]

13. darkgregor

darkgregor Member

GPU:
    Galaxy Gtx 780 Hof stock
    update your gpu-z with the last version

14. darkgregor

darkgregor Member

GPU:
    Galaxy Gtx 780 Hof stock

15. scubasun

scubasun Guest

GPU:
    I have now. Carnt see how thats going to effect my screen not posting after flashing and restart?

Its not that im getting back into Windows and gpuz is not showing the shaders unlocked. im not getting back into windows unless i switch to bios 2.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

16. darkgregor

darkgregor Member

GPU:
    Galaxy Gtx 780 Hof stock
    reflash your bios with original bios to see if that start windows with the switch on position one

17. scubasun

scubasun Guest

GPU:
    Flash original bios on switch 1 bios works and screen comes on like normal.

18. darkgregor

darkgregor Member

GPU:
    Galaxy Gtx 780 Hof stock
  19. sepulchre

sepulchre Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280
    My msi 6950 is running on .900 volts in 2D, it jumps to 1.150 in 3D, is this safe?

Oh and by the way, don't bother trying to flash any more, they have borked the cards.

I could only unlock for higher overclocking, and its not worth the worry if things go wrong.
    I spent all day today retrieving my card to factory settings after a flash, i kept getting lock ups just getting back to the factory overclock, which i ain't managed yet.

At the moment iv'e settled on non overclocked settings.

20. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Why doesn't this need to be stickied any more?