Changing sound settings make whole pc freeze

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by fenjen, Jul 22, 2011.

1. fenjen

fenjen Active Member

GPU:
    Ati HD5850 1gb
    Ok so it started with my old usb soundcard. It would freeze all my usb devices for a sec every half hour or so. At first this wasnt a big deal but then it started to **** up the mic settings. I had to plug it out and in again but after some time that would crash my whole computer (and with whole I mean it wouldn't even respond to the reset key, which does work normally). I bhough a soundcard (x-fi titanium) but now when I change my driver settings in sequencers (for example when I change my driver settings to asio in ableton or reason but also massive) will crash again. So because it seems sound related I think my mobo is defect? But I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. fenjen

fenjen Active Member

GPU:
    Ati HD5850 1gb
    No one?..

3. DarkTerror

DarkTerror Member

GPU:
    Geforce 660ti
    Check if your motherboard bios is up to date when i googled your mobo i got many thread related to unstability.Do a safe mobo utility flash don't use Windows MSI tool to flash mobo bios it will cause problem. Then uninstall every creative drivers from your Windows. Restart PC go to Bios and be sure you have disabled motherboard sound. Must under Advanced settings or Onboard device settings. Then save settings and boot into Windows. Allow windows to detect your soundcard and automatically install drivers so that the IRQ's are properly registered
    then do the following

download 8 June 2011 beta driver - X-fi Titanium Driver
    http://support.creative.com/downloads/welcome.aspx?nDriverType=11#type_11

Only download these[Alchemy and Creative console launcher 5 AUG '10]
    http://support.creative.com/downloads/welcome.aspx?nLanguageLocale=1033&nDriverType=13#type_13

After installation don't play anything just restart PC and log into windows see if the problem persists and then report

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  4. fenjen

fenjen Active Member

GPU:
    Ati HD5850 1gb
    I've done those things. Still having the same problem. Anyone got an idea?

5. fenjen

fenjen Active Member

GPU:
    Ati HD5850 1gb
    Should I return my mobo to the store where I bhought all my pc parts?

6. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    No, not just yet :)
    Just create a system restore image and reinstall Windows properly after that. If that doesn't help you can always try to return the mobo.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Try moving the card to a different slot and make sure your drivers are all up to date for the card, chipset..etc.

Can you check your system logs and see what is causing the crash?

8. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    try daniel_k drivers, if they still exists that is

asio never worked well with my x-fi

9. fenjen

fenjen Active Member

GPU:
    Ati HD5850 1gb
    I've a complete format of my C: drive and reainstalled window, and Ableton, but without prevail. I think I'm just going to return my computer.

10. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Take that crap out and use onboard and it will be fixed....

11. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Sounds like a bad board, the usb ports don't work properly... Who put together the PC? Could be that the cpu heatsink and fan aren't installed properly. Believe me, it can happen, try reinstalling the cpu and make sure there is thermal paste and that all the HSF clips and whatever are in securely...

regards,
    RagDoll.

12. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    usb soundcard not working properly is nothing new, i wouldnt blame mobo makers for it