Jeffro's " I'm a complete noob and need help" thread.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JEFFRO503, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    OK.....my final email to the guy. I have had it.....i'm done dealing with it!

"I'm going to be late for my friggin' meetings!

Nick.....Here is another little gem I just found. Remember when you modded the bottom 6870 with the 80mm fans? You slipped it back into the PCI slot and didn't even have it locked into place! In fact.....because of the huge gaggle of zip ties you put on that card to hold those fans on.....it pushed on the upper card so hard it was actually bound up! I just took 10 minutes trying to undo the lock down clip on the the upper card so I could pull it off. How I noticed it ......was the bottom "modded" card was sticking up slightly at one end...it basically just about fell out when I removed the top card.

Look at the pic I attached please. I'm trying to keep a level head here.....but this is just one out of about 100 screwed up things on this build. maybe when you do repairs on someone else computer , like some old retired couple , they don't know what they are looking at. And of course I don't know near as much as you do about the actual specs on parts and setup......but the building.......I'm pretty sure I'm heads and shoulders above you. I've taken pics of every single thing on this build when i was tearing it down......and in no way in ****ing hell am I paying for some of this **** that been destroyed as far as I'm concerned.

And since I'm not asking for anything free and refuse to steal anything from anyone , I'll keep the parts that I think are still usuable and can get a warranty on.....all this other stuff is your to keep and do with what you want to. I don't want to sound like a total jerk here.......but who in their right mind would buy this stuff?

If you feel like you are getting robbed , you are more than welcome to call my lawer. You'll be paying his fee's as well if you want to go that route.

From this email on....I'm done.
    "

2. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    BTW.....the parts I told him I'm keeping , I'm paying him for them. Which is one video card , the ram and HD's. He can keep everything else. I'm over it.

3. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Good for you Jeff, I'm pretty sure you can get another backplate for the waterblock for cheap.

4. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Just send back every part that has voided warranty or isn't new / useful. The motherboard's warranty is void if it's been drilled through, obviously. The vidcard with the modded fan also. The waterblock? Void because of the missing screw. Those power cables with the red stuff sprayed on their molex plugs, void. The pump with red stuff on its label sticker... Void.

5. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none

Well , the entire water tower is going back to him , which is a $250.00 credit in which we both agreed upon.....but he brought it down with him anyways and is trying to get me to just keep it.....no effing way!

I already paid him $300.00. and with a $250.00 credit.....I'm keeping $550.00 worth of stuff and sending the rest back.

HD's.....$183.00
    single 6870....$175.00
    Ram ...$100.00
    Nostramo N52......$55.00
    Corsair 16GB flash drive....$20.00

Total.....$533.00.

I can't wait for him to call me and get this done once and for all. I was ok last night when I started taking things apart , and then it was just one thing after another I kept finding. Zip ties , Black electrical tape stuck on my MB , hacked video card , crappy installation of a water block and missing bolt......just everything. I'm so done with this thing it's unreal.

So......since I'm starting over from almost complete scratch.....I'm ordering up another XFX 6870 to replace the damaged one. So that leaves me with a motherboard and CPU to get......any suggestions? 2600K?

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just get a decent Z68 motherboard (just avoid Gigabyte till they get EFI) and a I5-2500K or I7-2600K and call it a day. If you want cheap and easy to do water cooling, then pick up a $65 Corsair H60 unit, works very well and quiet.

As for the case, for your first build I would suggest the Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced, wonderful case.

P.S. - You need to give back the RAM also. The RAM you have is set up for Triple Channel (i.e., - 3X2GB), what you need is dual channel (i.e., 2X4GB). Also, you can get much better RAM for cheaper.

7. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Quick question here......The back plate that he has on my case that surrounds all the back USB , mouse , keyboard and everything else ( all the inputs ) did that thing probably come with the mother board? And when I get a new board....it should have one for that board correct?

8. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes. But I though you are giving back the damaged case?

9. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Thanks for the info Brute , but I wasn't planning on getting rid of my CM stacker 830. He never damaged anything on this case at all.....thank god. it's still brand new.

2600K is what I'm looking at. And I definitely want at least 3 PCI slots for CFX and a sound card. This board I have now ( which I'm giving back ) , the P6X58D-E board seemed nice.....but onboard sound sucked , and it didn't give me enough room to slip an audio card in there. My next set up will.

I think I may spoil myself a little and get a Asus Asus Maximus IV Extreme. It's a P67 board , but has a bunch of Pci slots and so forth. That pci sound card is definitely something I want to get.

10. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I'm glad you're going with what you originally wanted. :) I bet you'll notice the increase of speed right after setup.

11. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    It outperforms any Sandy Bridge motherboard currently on the market. Meaning, if you slap a Corsair H60 on it I will bitchfit. lol

Personally, I would either get the Thermalright Archon with a second TY-140 fan for push pull or, if it's too tall for your case (170.25mm), the Thermalright Silver Arrow. Or, go full custom water if you can afford it.

Also, I recommend 8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz C9 for this board, perhaps even the new racing red colored version instead of the black one. http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel...hannel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2b1866c9r.html

I would never, ever put a PCIe soundcard on this board. It deserves three graphics cards and that's that. If you want better sound quality then wait for the Asus Essence One to be released.

12. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Jeff I couldn't quite understand is the backplate drilled out or the motherboard itself? If the board is drilled through its incredible he didn't destroy the board and I would immediately give it back because it can't be used to mount a cooler properly anymore.

nicspits66 likes this.
  13. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none

Brendruis : Whoa!........since I am the complete noob in this thread.....you are telling me that people don't drill through the boards to mount heat sinks and so forth? So he actually screwed up the board more than I was thinking?.....unbelievable!

TruMutton : I already have 6GB of Corsair Dominator here that was planning on using and is still new as well. It's going to have to hold me over for a while anyways. BTW....i orginally wanted 8GB....and again....the guy who built it shut me down and said I was stupid.

Moose : hell yeah brotha! I'm moving forward on this thing. It may take me a couple weeks to get all the money together to finish her up , but she'll be better than ever when I'm done....I hope.

14. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none

No.....it's the real thin piece of sheet metal taht is attached to the back of the case where all the motoerboard inputs are at. Once I removed the mother board , that thing is still attached to my case. I know a different mother board will have a totally different layout.....so i was thinking the one that is attached to my case now....might have came with the mother board. It fits all the input devices on the P6X58D-E board. Looking at the Asus Maximus extreeme , it looks like it comes with it own back plate to fit around all those inputs.

15. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    or H80 it has H60's mounting bracket and H70's bigger cooling radiator. Imo a prefect match and you can swap those fans for something better.

http://www.corsair.com/cooling/hydro-series/hydro-series-h80-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.html

w w w.h a r d w a r e h e a v e n. c o m/reviews/1218/pg1/corsair-h80-vs-antec-kuhler-h2o-920-review-introduction.html

and great that you got rid of that mess, it sounded like a disaster :nerd:

16. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    It was hunter....it was! It aint quite over yet , as I'm sure he'll act like an 8yr old. Basically , to be totally honest , the reason why I am pissed off so much right now , isn't just because of a messy computer. It's because he said things like " Don't you dare open the case up and look inside.....you may short something out!" and then the whole time , it was because he didn't want me seeing what he had created inside......a complete hack job! With ruined parts , rats nest wire job.and THEN.....try to pawn it back off on me and get me to pay for it! I would of never been able to re-sell 1/2 that stuff because he butchered it. I'll keep and pay for what is still good.....he's taking the rest and I don't care what he does with it.

17. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Damnit there's an H80 now damnit! lol

The goodness of the H60 block and the H70 radiator combined.. should have waited :frown:

18. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    The problem is you'll be able to use only 4 GB if you keep it. Dual Channel uses either two sticks or four sticks of RAM, Triple Channel uses either three or six.

19. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    CRAP!! Well.....maybe I can sell this ram in the for sale section or something? Stuff has like 2 hrs on it! It's friggin' sweet looking ram to! This it here >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145295

20. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    DAMN!....that is some awesome looking ram there! So I should be looking at the 2 X 4GB sets then? Or the 4 X 2GB sets?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.