Jeffro's " I'm a complete noob and need help" thread.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JEFFRO503, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    1. Spanning is not to be confused with striping. Spanning is only useful when dealing with extremely large files, such as uncompressed video and, unlike striping (RAID 0) it does not add any performance gain.

2. It's possible to combine the benefit of striping with the benefit of mirroring, by choosing RAID 1+0 (RAID 10) but it requires at least four harddisks and all four have to be attached to the same RAID controller. Windows 7 software mirroring does not suffer from these limitations. It can run on top of a normal RAID 0 array also, like I said.

Another benefit of Windows 7 software mirroring is it allows you to decide which portions of your harddisks will be used (the innermost, slower performing zones versus the outermost, faster performing ones). Also, if more than one controller is used for mirroring (this is called duplexing) then if only one of both controllers fails, the other one continues to function normally. However, since the Intel ICH10R controller is built into the chipset of the motherboard I, personally, would not worry too much about it potentially failing. That is, not unless it's a Sandy Bridge rev. B2 chipset, which has the design flaw they discovered in February.

2. zinjin

zinjin Guest

GPU:
    Evga
    That is some true words right there. I learned that lesson many years ago. Now after I get the system built and up and running and make sure everything is working correctly I then take the time to do cable management.

If the O.P. goes with a RAID 0 configuration, he will see a slight boost on games and programs that handle large files, also the more drives you add to a RAID 0 setup will increase speed. But remember to have a data backup plan in place.

I myself have been building my own computers since the 90's and I have used a RAID 0 ever since, my current computer I have 4 Seagate 15K.7 600 GB S-ATA drives in a RAID 0 configuration on an Adaptec RAID 6805 PCI-E controller, then I have a single S-ATA drive that holds my ghost image of my OS, I make a ghost image of my computer about once a week. My usual computer builds cost me on an average $5K-$6K, and I use them for 5- 6 yrs before I build a whole new one.

3. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Fixed.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    c´mon man i was trying to help
    you are right i won´t deny it.
    i was just ....
    doesn´t matter now it is my fault.no escuse is good enough...
    shees...why i didn´t seen it

5. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Well....was going to go out and practice on my bike today , but it's raining and I'm staying at home! I'm making a good work space here on my bench and disconnecting all the water hoses and so forth so I can split these two cases up. Then.....I'm going to start removing some stuff from my computer. I'll take some random pics today and post them up on my photo bucket.

Tools being used.....sawzall , pry-bar , sledge hammer and a blow torch.

6. zinjin

zinjin Guest

GPU:
    Evga
    hahaha, don't forget to use duct tape, paper clips, bubble gum and a swiss army knife. :p

7. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    I hadn't really forgotten them , I just use those tools on the "re-assembling" phase! Then spray the entire thing down with spray foam insulation so nothing comes loose. :)

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Wtf are you waffling on about?? "Spanning is not to be confused with striping" Did I mention striping anywhere in my post?? No. Do I seem confused? No.

Do you sound confused? Absolutely. Idk why you even wrote all that because it's not relavant to anything I posted..

Seriously mate stop acting like an obnoxious jackass towards other forum members - it's getting real old, real fast. I'm not the only one that's noticed either.

9. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    There are two cases for your PC? That's pretty strange...what did he do use one case for the radiator and resevoir?

10. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Hey Brendruis....yeah , he used another one of my cases I had which was an older Antec full tower case , but barnd new in the box with a brand new 420W PS.....he slaughtered it and charged me $480.00 to buy the parts and build it.

Just wait....I have some pictures of this thing close up of what I just took. Unbelievable! in a bad way.......

I'm kind of dumbfounded right now to be honest.

11. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Hardly anyone uses spanning, for the reason I already explained so yes, you absolutely sound more confused than anything. In fact, it happens to you alot TBH and claiming people are waffling when they actually have a point won't save you from it.

@ JEFFRO503: Spanning is used for high tech stuff such as uncompressed (or losslessly compressed) video output that's coming from a video processing system, as the files tend to get larger than the storage capacity of a single harddisk will allow. The performance gain of a RAID 0 aray is usually not needed for this purpose, as the video processing typically performs slower than a single harddisk. Remember, if only one disk fails in a RAID 0 array then all data stored on the entire RAID 0 array is lost. So in professional video processing (videoframe servers), spanning is used instead of striping because if only one disk fails in a spanned array, the video footage stored on the remaining, non failed disks can still be recovered from them, and therefore it does not have to be re-processed - which saves considerable compute time and money.

12. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Ok guys.....I started tearing into some stuff today to get a better look at what I had in front of me. This is incredible to say the least. I don't really have any words for it.

1st pic....this is what my water twoer looked like two years ago when he first built it , and this is what cost me $480.00 + It was my case and PS >>>> http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff407/Jeffro503/?action=view&current=100_1928.jpg

Then.....this is the one I got from him last week. And it had been sitting at his house for 18 months. Because after he built it , he borrowed it and never gave it back. Where are my new fans , where is my matching pumps , WTF is up with all the red spary adheisive!?!??? >>>> http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums...7/Jeffro503/?action=view&current=100_0920.jpg

Nice wiring job to >>> http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums...7/Jeffro503/?action=view&current=100_0923.jpg

another nice wiring job >> http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums...7/Jeffro503/?action=view&current=100_0922.jpg

OH....and here is something else I found out! Look at the pics closely and tell me what you see. almost every single lead coming off from the fans and so forth....he snipped the plug OFF and twisted them together with electrical tape!

That's the water tower.....and I have the computer on the bench. I can figure the water tower out and make it look all nice ( probably a whole new friggin' case!) He dremeled the top and used red nail polish! then squirted all that sticky red spray adhesive all over everything!

seriously?? What in the holy EF was this guy doing?? This is what I have to deal with. :bang:

BTW....feel free to take those pics from my photobucket account and post them up here if you would like to. I'm having a hard time trying to do that , so I just posted the links.

13. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Well, I would personally want to consolidate it to just the one case simply for convenience. Otherwise, you will have to drag them around like a train with your tubes acting like railcar ties ;) hehe jk but seriously I think you want to be in one case. I'm not sure what radiator is being used or if it will all fit in that case...maybe you need a new case? Or a new cooler for your CPU

14. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    My god that Antec case looks ruined with all that spray adhesive.. what a travesty and a shame to that Antec lol

Anyways don't freak man... I think despite you money you spent that you want to ditch that haugepauge of a water cooling setup and get something simple that will fit in your case.

Have you thought of just a new case entirely? That way it is a clean slate and you can one by one disassemble the old PC and place it cleanly in new case.

15. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Well...I had thought about that. But I came up with an idea and hit up "Frozen GPU and found some "no spill" quick connects for the water tubing. Even though this thing is hidious , it pushes a lot of water , because I was originally going to cool my VGA cards as well. Normally....it wouldn't be a problem disconnecting the two ( it will be easy when I'm finished ). But i think what I'm going to do for now is , down clock the CPU and use a big air cooler like this >> http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...75_754_939_940_AM2_AM2_AM3.html?tl=g40c14s757 So I can reconfigure the thing while I'm building a new water tower.

16. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none

Well , he didn't do any damage to my CM stacker....just the water tower antec case. My CM Stacker still looks new and un-abused. I like the case a lot.....but Christ it is one big heavy case!

17. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Then you need a case that can actually fit a 360 rad which it looks like that is. I am honestly probably not the best guy here to advise about water cooling fittings. I know the new Corsair 650D can fit a 360 radiator and of course there are big full towers that can easily fit them

18. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Yea so if you want to re-do that setup it can surely be done.. I would consolidate to 3 matching fans on the radiator for better looks and easier to mount in a case. You could also get a tower radiator instead and place outside the case.

19. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    I'm sorry I came off harsh. You just caught me in a bad mood and I admit I've made worse mistakes than zipping the cables too soon. Like, buying a fully assembled rig and then discovering DVD movie playback froze because a cable had gotten stuck between the blades of the vidcard's fan during transportation. LOL :rock:

20. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    What in the hell is this thing? >> http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff407/Jeffro503/?action=view&current=100_0931.jpg

It was taped up to the top of the inside of my case. It isn't metal....feels like plastic.

Also.....check out another great shot of how he managed some of my fan leads>>> http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums...7/Jeffro503/?action=view&current=100_0926.jpg

And this one makes me sad every time I look at these two cards >> http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums...7/Jeffro503/?action=view&current=100_0928.jpg

He's also trying to tell me that these are all new fans. He told me also...."Don't open the case".....because I could short something out! this is getting better by the minute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.