Guild Wars 2 Design Manifesto

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by NiukNiuk, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Guild Wars 2 Design Manifesto:

Make the game F2P
    (else it gets killed by World of Warcraft)

-- The End --

[​IMG]

2. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    Well it's the same design as the original Guild Wars, buy to play, you buy the box and play without any subscriptions. Revenue comes from the games box sales and sales from expansions and new campaigns ect.

3. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    FYI, it is not a free to play MMO. You need to buy the game. This game is subscription free tho.

4. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    It is B2P (Buy to Play) not F2P (Free to Play) - which means: Buy it once and play it forever, just like the typical game you get at your local retailer (or STEAM or wherever).

5. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    wow wow okay, I didn't know we were going to be picky.... I was just getting my point across.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    people get pissy around here if you dont dot your QQ's or cross your lower case j's :p

7. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    its not being picky at all. usually FTP make people deal with microtransactions. which Guild Wars will not do

8. Guild Wars had Micro Transactions in 2007. So, how can you say they will not? As time went on and they added more content and updates to the game, they added more Micro Transactions. I have not been on it in about 3 or 4 Years now, but I am sure they did not stop selling Skills and Slots.

9. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    They did not sell skills in the sense of "buy this and you will be better than another player who didn't buy it", they sold "pvp packs" and "pets packs", unlocking in PVP (and for heroes in PVE) skills/pets that you can unlock without paying anything (real money) when playing the PVE portion of the game normally.

The other microtransactions available are mostly cosmetic (costumes) and/or useless if you play the game correctly (change the appearance/name of your character, make another character of your account as an selectable hero).
    Extra storage slots are useless if you don't do crazy things (like collecting all weapon skins/minipets available).
    Extra character slots: you have more than enough IMO ( 8 ), and I only play with 2 characters...the others are "storage/farming characters".
    The "bonus missions" are also "useless" because the weapons you can get in the end, although unique in skin, are not saleable.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Selling character skills?

bai

11. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    Are you trolling?

They don't sell character skills...

Can someone else try to explain to him that GW's microtransactions are COSMETIC and USELESS ?

Here's the link to NCsoft's shop

You DON'T NEED costumes (it's only cosmetic)

You DON'T NEED "pvp/pets unlock packs", it's only for lazy people ! You CAN OBTAIN these skills/pets by PLAYING THE GAME. Srsly.

You DON'T NEED the "bonus missions pack". These are 4 (IIRC) short optional missions, revealing aspects of the lore, that rewards you with weapons which, although having unique skin, CAN'T BE SOLD to other players.

You DON'T NEED to change your character's name/gender/appearance, or even having him as a selectable hero. You can get 28 heroes by PLAYING the game.

You DON'T NEED character slots, you have more than enough to begin with ( 8 ) and I can't think of any friend of mine who regulary plays with 8 main characters...they mostly have 2 or 3 max main characters.

You DON'T NEED storage slots, you have more than enough already (including a materials storage slot), if you salvage/sell your loot and don't do crazy things (like collecting all the weapons skins of the game...), and not counting that your other account characters can serve as "mules" if you want.

Seriously what is the problem with this ? They (Arenanet) make money by selling NON REQUIRED, OPTIONAL cosmetic/useless things.

And it will be the same in Guild Wars 2.

God...I'm out...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The store if it works like it did when I was most active sells the expansions or combinations of them via deals, this is the main purchase for most on-line users of this store/game or so I guess.

Secondary they offer a number of exclusive outfits that you can acquire via a (Often a bit steep as outfits are only visual flair.) pricing but it's a premium item after all and rare to acquire normally.

Third is the unlocks as mentioned above, for PvP you can opt to buy a pack that will have every skill unlocked without having to acquire them via normal in-game progress, this is to offer a quick character plan to bigger PvP players as you won't need all these skills (For all characters and all that.) plus rarer and more exclusive skills aren't offered this way either as far as I'm aware.
    (Pricing point also makes this unattractive as you get a pretty good set anyway even if you make a full PvP character, there's no unlock plan for SP/Co-op/PvE or what to call the main game section, had some specific name I don't remember.)

(I think there's some other misc stuff as well but similar to the PvP pack they're not really useful and a waste of money for most players.)

EDIT: Right the later parts of the above post talks about that, gender swap and character appearance stuff, Blizzard and other MMO companies also do the same now if I'm not mistaken.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    The thing is... maybe in FPS like Team Fortress 2 you can say "ONLY cosmetic".

IMHO when u step into MMORPGs cosmetic is not "only" any more. Your costumes, how your avatar looks - that's one of the points of playing MMORPG.

If they are reasonably easy to obtain, then OK. But even then it pollutes the environment.

Blizzard doing the same thing? Dunno... I played WoW for 2 years and never ever saw Swift Spectral Tiger. That's how mandatory is having one. Plus u can not purchase it directly, or even from Blizzard.

Bottom line, I won't have anything to do with MMORPG that's selling "only" costumes, which can be dyed, thus giving u distinctive look, particularly if you can not dye high end armor.

Oh, and having official pages bloated with adds makes me :puke2:

PS
    not trying to to quarrel or to ruin anybodies fun...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  14. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    Guild Wars costumes ARE cosmetic because they have NO stats, NONE, 0, nada.
    Wearing them DOES NOT replace your armor. They act like an esthetic "layer" on top of your current armor.
    And they are not "unique", because everyone wearing it looks the same, whatever your character's profession is.

They don't give any advantage amongst other players.

Oh and
    Where are you seeing ads in www.guildwars.com, www.guildwars2.com or event in the official wiki ?

I'm sorry, but you are mixing this game with another one.

I'm at a loss of words here...seriously :3eyes:

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Not really. Not when u can dye them. THAT alone and the rarity (depending on how many ppl purchase them) makes them more unique then HIGH END armor.

WTH adds are on that very page. Like when u open it, there's a costume add and more $$ links.

16. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    Technically, there are NO high end armor in Guild Wars. The armor you can craft in an end game area will not be superior to a classic armor, the stats are the same. You CAN'T sell ARMOR parts to other players in Guild Wars.
    They have no value.

Oh and the costumes does not appear randomly on the official website or in the game, they are there to promote a special event/content added.

These new costumes (the $$ link you're refering) are here to promote/get people to know that a new (FREE) chapter of "guild wars beyond" (making the link between gw1 and 2) has been added to the game. This chapter (added last week, free of charge once again), is called "winds of change".

17. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    It's impossible to convince a handicapped person so just leave it where it's at. You know(and so do I) that how does the whole system work so lets not care about someone who can't understand something that simple or is simply being super emo about it.

18. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    except for the fact it doesnt make you better. FTP will have things that you HAVE to buy to be better. lrn2game

19. OmniShift

OmniShift Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    I'm very happy it's B2P. With F2P games, you get thousands of 12 year old kids who think they're cool by being a nuisance and you get spammed with Item Mall money for sale by some random site. B2P has both of those a lot less. P2P on the other hand just robs your bank account lol.
    I've played Guild Wars after about a month it came out and I've played that game for 4 years since then. It is without a doubt worth every cent for the playing time you get in return. However, after that, the only reasons I would log in again is when there was a big content update or for a week or weekend event that interested me. Other than that, I've done practically everything already hehe.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, but there's something like 10m WoW players paying £9 every month so no, expansion sets won't make up for that. not even close.