Custom computer builder....Terrible experinece.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by JEFFRO503, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Always expect to have to take the side off on arrival, especially for long journeys. Only takes 1 loose component and you'll have to tinker to find the problem. Hope you don't have to do that though.

On the other hand, your build does need good cooling, which is probably what he's been having problems with. Anyway, learn from your new build so in a few years you can do it yourself.

The only thing I ever check is the motherboard manual for where the case wires go (led lights, power on, restart button, speaker etc) on the motherboard. I'm sure many here don't even need to do that.

2. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Wow....he needed 3 weeks to decide on that???? I know plenty of stoners that can do it quicker.
    I guess his reputation is highly inflated. But yes, please keep us informed.

3. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    OK, i kinda need help understanding your frustration ... So far, i understood that you wanted a new gaming PC, you asked someone who "knows stuff" to do it, he built you a PC with good hardwares and it's taking time ....

So are you getting pissed because it's taking time or what ?

4. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    If you have the parts and you know what you're doing, it takes less than an hour to get the motherboard and all the components fitted in and connected up to the PSU. Add another hour or so for for the water tower if he's messing about... now add three weeks.

5. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Months?

Not that I take that much care of my rig anymore but dude it doesnt take months to optimize airflow unless you decide to build a mathematical model of it.

otherwise just light a cigarette near the case and you can pretty much see what air is going where.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    first
    can i ask why 1366 ?
    did you got some awesome slick deal on it,or someone *advised*you on getting it?
    i ask because 1155 is almost the same price if not cheaper and perform much much better...
    second
    a inexperienced person can build a computer in 3 4 hours without any hurry...or maybe faster+plus the satisfaction that you build your own
    third
    wish you good luck with that build,beware of the Murphy´s law

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha, guess he was busy...

For me building a system takes no more than a few hours (2-3)

What takes the most time is trying to tidy the FRICKIN CABLES, there a nightmare to try to hide & tidy up.... Needs a lot of thought & patience...

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    in no particular order

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha yeah, got loads myself, black ones though...

10. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    -$1200 in the hole, overpriced second-hand gear.
    -Paid the guy $200 to make his own water cooler.
    -Paying the guy to fool around with your (second-hand overpriced) gear for a month and do who-knows-what, probably overclock the heck out of it.

Yeah, sounds like a great deal. Not only that, but you even paid for delivery.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    ^Sad,but true

12. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Ok guys....I am on my new rig now , and I made it through the night without killing anyone. i did get my buttons pushed a few times , but just held my tongue.

Second hand gear : the only thing in the computer that is second hand is the i7 940 , which I got for $100.00. The water tower is about 80% used parts , but on OCN it's a gigantic PC garage sale there where you can get some great deals from some people. No different then buying something used from here and saving a bunch of money right?

Quick answer on the 1366 setup i went with ; I did get a really good deal on this i7 940 , which is now overclocked to 4.2ghz on water and at idle it's staying right at 38C. He setup his steam account on here to , and has this thing downloading like 12 games right now , which he said I can play any time I want , as long as I call him first. i will get my own account here soon.

Anyways....back to the 1366 setup here. I look at it two ways. I know it's an end of a life socket , but as far as pure HP , the 1366 setup still has a lot of life left in it for gaming. I would think I'd be able to run any game out there or anything coming out for the next 2-3 years....which I'll probably upgrade this thing if I need to. But in the next 2-3 years , people are going to be selling Video cards that will smoke my 6870's for cheap , and I could easily pick up a used X980 or X990 and be set for another couple years. I think by the time I need to do a full system rebuild , the LGA 2011 stuff will be at the end of it's life. As long as I can push all my games over 30-35fps with all the eye candy turned on....then that's all that matters.

Oh.....one more thing....I got my original water tower back. The one he was building for me this time , was to small for what he wanted to do...so I have two big black cases sitting here , one for the computer , one for the water tower.

Bench testing : not sure where to start here. after all this steam account stuff gets done Dl'ing , what bench could I use to see what this thing will do? He already did a 24hr stress test " furmark"? I think?

Crap....I need to start a new thread titled " jeffro503's stupid computer question" thread. I'm gonna need some help.

13. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Congrats on the new Rig :) I'd bench with 3dmark 11 first :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

14. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Also guys......I don't mean to sound "ungrateful" about him building me this new rig. I appreciated him helping me in that way....it was all the other baggage , and so forth which bugged me. I'm 6'-1" about 200lbs and have always been an easy goin' dude , but I don't like taking jabs from people when I don't know them well enough. Online is fine....all message boards do that....but in person , when you get a 5'6" 140lb dude demeaning you about computer stuff when you are trying to learn.......it can tend to piss a guy off. Especially since I paid him to build it.....I'm a customer right?

Anyways.....I'm doing this stuff on my own from now on. Just gotta figure out how it all works.

15. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none

Thanks Ragdoll.....Im not sure , but I may have that on here right now. If not , I'll DL a little later today after all these downloads are done. Is there certain things I should turn on , or shut off to do the test the correct way?

16. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    I built a rig for my bro a week or three ago and was fairly straight forward as Ive built countless water loops in many different cases and different config's, building the pc is a cinch, building water cooling is a lil bit harder to get 'perfect' but not three fricken weeks hard! who is this guy man? if you let us know I tell ya now his rep is ruined.

Moral is you shoulda come to Guru3d

Guru3d= uberhard geniuses
    overcock.net= ubersheit system builders :D

lol jk theres a few good guys there :D

17. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Fvckin' right.

18. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    :camo: F|_|CK YEAH!!!

19. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Dear god never send a computer to geeksquad unless you wish to torture the poor thing.

20. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Well Dave , he did take longer than expected for sure. And I know his is a good dude to , he just has this way of rubbing people ( especially me ) the wrong friggin' way. What really annoyed me was the "always friggin' late" thing! He was going to be here at about 5:00pm yesterday....he didn't show up until damn near 11:00PM! I stayed up with him for a while , but needed to get to sleep because I was supposed to go riding this morning ( MX ).......well , that didn't happen. He stayed up until the wee hours of the morning working on this thing ( and know...it wasn't because he was doing a professional and curtious job......he just geeks out bad on this stuff. ) I got up this morning about 7:00am and he got off my couch at about 9:00am , finished what he had to do , and was outta here at 11:00am.

I don't want to throw the guy under the bus , as I know he means well......but seriously , I wanted to choke the guy out a few times last night. I'm aggressive by nature and have my temper in control , but man......I was having some bad thoughts.

Side note : man , this windows 7 is weird. I just stepped off of win XP pro.....things are definitely different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.