Custom computer builder....Terrible experinece.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by JEFFRO503, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Any of you guys jumping over here from overclockers.net.....just please look at my photobucket account and see what Nick built me >> http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff407/Jeffro503/

Man....i'll tell ya what. I have just had an extremely busy friggin' life over these past 5 - 6 years , and lost touch with a lot of knowledge ( not that I had that much anyways ) on how to put a computer together. So , I hired this guy that is pretty well known over on Overclock.net to build one for me.

At first he said it would only take a few days to get everything up and running.....it's been over 3 weeks now. And finally , I'm supposed to get it tonight. But man....it has been one of the biggest pain in my ass things I have had to deal with for quite some time. Put it simple.....the guy is just a spun out SOB! Sleeps till 2:00pm , up until the wee hours of the morning , leave messages on my phone about computer stuff......which I can only understand like every 5th word! I swear to God.....I'm getting ready to just throttle this guy!

From talking to him over the phone.....it sounds like it may perform pretty well , but it sounds like he had to "micky-mouse" somethings together. I wanted something that "Looked good" as well as performing good. To him....those two things just don't go together.

I wish I could do these builds myself , but it seems like I never have enough time to learn it and keep updated on things. this is why I had to hire someone to build it for me , so I at least could enjoy some of these games that I have missed over the past 5 years.

Kind of bumming right now. So far , nothing has really gone to plan. I'll keep you guys updated maybe later tonight and see if he even makes it over here.

I'd sure like to run some tests on it , to see if it performs as well as he says it does.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Honestly ... if i was in you shoes .. i would've built it myself. I mean, i don't know a lot about hardwares either, but i don't think you have to. I mean, it's like a puzzle, you find the pieces that fit togther, you assemble it and connect the power to it ...

I buy every thing i need for my PC from MemoryExpress here in Canada, and they have a "system configurator" tool in their website. If you can't find out if the hardwares fit or not, the tool will find it for you. It's VERY handy. Plus i just buy the hardwares as it is, while you also have the option to have someone assemble it for you for some extra cash ... It's like buying a box of legos, when i bring it home, i assemble it ... ;)

3. humonculus1987

humonculus1987 Banned

GPU:
    evga GeForce GTX560 Ti
    An idiot can put together a PC. I dont let anyone touch my PC in that regard. I have shown like 8 people how to and I do it myself without even needing to see what im doing. Should of hit me up.

4. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Yea if i were you, i would have built it myself. You say you knew if anything on how to put one together, its not that hard and doesnt take long to learn whats new in the computer world anyways.

5. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    yeah....you guys are right for sure. I did end up picking out all the parts needed for the build , but he kept changing things , saying I was spending to much on this thing , and not enough on this thing....over and over and over uuhhgg!

I guess it's easier than I was thinking to put one together , but I have just never taken the time to learn how to. I side stepped that process so I could for sure have something to play on this winter.

Seriously...the guy is a good guy , he's just young and a complete geek...beyond words.....and hard to deal with. I'm a contractor by trade , so i higer subs and I get hired myself from generals.......and when a job needs to be done , we do it to the best of our abilities. This guy doesn't do it like that.....and gave me more headaches than you could possibly imagine.

Lesson learned.......I'm building my next one myself. And I'll probably learn quite a bit on this one as well , with OC'ing and so forth.

6. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Takes me an hour max to build a system and not done many really.

If you're really out of touch maybe three hours. All straight forward.

What parts did you get?

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Jeff, it's so easy to build a pc man! Open-up your current PC and look inside at how it's all connected....it's literally the same for any build. The connectors and cables may change, heat-sinks get bigger, more pins for cpu, but, most of it works exactly the same as 10years+ ago. Custom stuff like fans and case/colours etc is just personal preferance.

8. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Well....I didn't want to get in trouble for talking about hardware in here , but this is what I got.

3 X WD 640gb HD's ( think it's set to raid 5?)
    Asus P6X58 pro
    6gb Corsair dominator
    2 X XFX 6870's in CFX
    Used i7 940 ( water cooled @ 4.0ghz)
    CM Stacker 830 with 1000w PS

I wanted to originally go with a set of GTX cards , but for the money I had figured for that part , the AMD's ended up being quite a bit less. And I wanted to go either SLI or CFX. I am ordering up a new 24" monitor in about 2 weeks , and then getting two more a couple weeks later so I can play around with the eyefinity stuff.

Been out of the loop a long time , as you can tell by my sig rig. Missed everything over the past 5 - 6 years or so.....so it'll all be new to me.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  9. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Thanks for the encouragement Stormy! From now on....I am doing my own computer stuff for sure. I "Wish" I would of done it on this one I have coming. When I do some upgrades and so forth in the future.....I'll gaurentee you , i'll be the one doing it.

I learn so much from this site , it's amazing. I just get confused on certain things because I don't have any "hands on" type experience with building them.

10. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    How much did you spend (breakdown if possible)?

11. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Unless you going for a full on mod(like cutting up your case and spraying it) you only need a few things to consider

1)what parts you want in your case
    2)colour scheme

and you may want to:

1) kick your girlfriend/wife out for 2-3 hours :) (if you have one)
    2) get some beers in

and remember were all here to help

12. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    wow....well , it's ind of a weird deal. The same guy who built this new rig for me , built me a water tower about 1.5yrs ago. I "was going to build one then , but never did. I was into that thing about $450.00 , but it was almost all used parts from OCN. He credited me $250.00 for it and decided to just keep it himself , which was fine at the time.

I already have the CM Stacker and 1000w PS sitting here for almost 2 years. And I got that thing at a steal....literally! I went to Fry's electronics one day and was looking for the CM stacker 830 , and I saw they only had the one left , as they were on sale. It was like $159.99 + a 20% discount in the store. What i "didn't" know was that they screwed up and I bought the CM Stacker "SE" version......with a CM 1000W PSU installed. I got it for like $120.00!

All the new stuff i just picked out , plus the used CPU Came to about $1200.00 minus the $250.00 credit he is giving me. Still have to get some descent monitors though.

He hasn't got here yet today to bring it down and hook it up. He's already an hour late. I really hope I don't commit a homicide tonight! sheeeesh! :3eyes:

13. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    HAHA!!.....Thanks Goose!!

14. Tranceholic

Tranceholic Banned

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
    1) go to his house beat his ass
    2) steal his pc and get your pc back
    3) best of both world, enjoy his pc and send your pc to geeksquad
    :wanker:

15. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    It is literally the easiest thing ever. I put my comp together with no experience. You could have posted here and gotten all the help you need lol.

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ye, I never trust anyone to build MY rig, if anyone builds my rig, it's no longer my rig. I refuse to have another person's hand fiddling with my rig. It's my own sanctuary ... people say "a house is a man's castle". Well, "a desktop is a geek's paradise" and so I never allow anyone to open my case lid ever except for overheat emergencies.

deltatux

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    An hour if you're lazy and rush, and ignore cable management. A quality build with a full stack of components takes about 2 hours to do right.

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It took me months to optimize the airflow, overclocks and correct fan speed in my sh!tty case which I'm replacing tomorrow with the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced (it's in transit from my etailer's warehouse).

If you want to really take care of your rig, you'll probably do the same, and each weekend I will open my case to check for any loose cables or check if it's too dusty and clean my system if it is. My system is free of dust atm.

deltatux

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That's what these forums are for buddy. You speak to us, get advice and build whatever you like after we catch you up on what's what.

20. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Uhhgg!.......little update. The dufuss is on his way down here ( Finally! ) after I threatened to drive to his house ( 1.5hrs away! ) and take all my stuff back. He back peddled and is now heading this way. Starting to get a little pissed here. I can't really type out what i want to do to this guy in case of incriminating myself.......but lets just say , if things aren't in order when he gets here , some bad things may happen. One excuse after the other with this dweeb! The good thing is....I "do" know where he lives.

Side note here. He has my CPU water cooled with a external water cooling tower , but he said he is having a hard time keeping the case temps down with the two 6870's running in there. he took the shroud off of one of them and is messing around with the fans.....and if my rig looks like it's been hacked together by a 4 yr old....I'm gonna lose it.

I'll keep you guys updated probably tomorrow night. As this computer here will be offline , with the new one replacing it.....IF it friggin' works!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.