Mouse for FPS

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HiDe85, Jul 9, 2011.

1. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    [​IMG]

Theres the door.. LOL

2. Alpha

Alpha Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6950
    There's my window.... (from which the sun is shinning on my wired optical mouse:nerd:)

3. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Never EVER install the SetPoint software.
    This is what happens if you install the SetPoint software. You kill your mouse button out of pure frustration.
    I'm not talking about sniping. I'm talking about serious owning the place right down in the open, with pistol and shotgun. :nerd:

4. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    What? I thought function buttons like that on mice still worked even if you didn't install the software, like on this Razer Lachesis I have, profile switching buttons and other buttons still work the same without the software installed. :3eyes:

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I think setpoint is worth installing,it allows you to use buttons on the mouse that you cannot use if you do not install it,i have no problems here,why would setpoint kill your mouse out of frustration?:)

6. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    ^ Because this is actually true:

7. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Why would anyone buy a mouse and not install the software? sigh...

The setpoint software needs to be installed if you want to actually use the mouse the way it was intended! That is like buying a VGA card and then not installing the driver lol...

I don’t know maybe I'm the minority here but I was more frustrated with the MX518 then I was enjoying it. It was also made poorly. The left and right click buttons were cheap and over a few months died. It was constantly getting clogged up with dirt and debris. I finally had enough it and bought me a new mouse with solid construction and one without that stupid sensitivity button!! The execs at Logitech deserve to be shot for ever releasing such a bad mouse.

Ironically everytime I watch a gaming vid the first thing I notice is the gamer has that cursed MX518 on his desk..go figure...

8. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    I am one of the few gamers that do not ever use WSAD. When I game my config it this:

Left click= fire
    Right click= run
    <= strafe left
    >= strafe right
    M=reload
    Alt= crouch
    Space= jump

To zoom I use my thumb button on my mouse. To knife I use my forward thumb button. To change weapons I use my middle wheel up and down.

When I drive a tank I use the up/down/left and right arrow keys on my keyboard.

This is the exact same way I play every single FPS game.

I have never understood why gamers use WSAD. All it does it cramp your fingers...

9. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    How the hell... amazing. How do you go forward and backwards (presuming right click is sprint not forward)?

FYI i have never had a finger cramp on wsad and my fingers rest there even when i am not gaming.

10. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Seriously , I was expecting someone to mention the Rezer Naga Epic or the standard Naga..

I've got the Mamba and I dont really find it all that great for FPS games , I was actually impressed with the Naga much much more , I play BFBC2 quite alot..
    I think the Naga is a much more actively designed mouse and that helps the player perform better..
    If u have alot of cash then get the Naga EPIC , dont buy into all the talk people throw against it.. the num keys on the side are great for weapon changing etc..
    It's the best mouse I've ever used for fps games and I've tried plenty others..

I prefer using the Mamba for daily desktop use or editing etc..
    Naga for BFBC2 especially.. (I can actually snipe like a pro with this mouse)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

11. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    OK, that proves to me that you know how games are meant to be played on PC. Most people do not.
    To crouch / jump I use CTRL / SHIFT next to the arrow keys, it's faster that way IMO. For melee I use NumPad 0 and zoom is NumPad 1. Reload is mousewheel press, alternate fire / grenade throw is right click. The side buttons, spacebar and NumPad 4 are typically for sprint and various actions such as enter vehicle / use item.

If you've more than once broken the left / right click it's probably because you hit the buttons rather than squeezing them TBH. As for the SetPoint software, it's not required to use the side buttons etcetera so all it really does is completely mess up the sensitivity setting ingame all the time just like you already said.

12. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Camper... lol

13. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Scoper is what came to my mind but that's not actually "sniping".. is it?

Oh, haha i thought he meant he uses the < and > keys to straif (above the right alt key), not the arrow keys.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  14. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:

hahah , when the going gets tough , I take desperate measures :D

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Setpoint is needed to assign some of the buttons on the mouse and also flicking the left and right wheel as 2 buttons,setpoint is needed for this.:)

16. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Never go backwards. If I have to spin around I spin around and fire. Right click is run; sprint is shift while holding down right click for me... Even in quake3 I never had a backward bind. I would literally spin 180 and strafe backwards using the momentum of my forward movement.

Walking backwards is not a natural movement even in real life so why use it in a vid game?

17. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Yeah but the only extra buttons I use are the navigational side buttons (previous / forward) and scrollwheel press, which are nowadays supported without installing anything. The MX518 doesn't have the tilt left / tilt right (horizontal scroll) functions, only those three tiny round buttons that you can't use without cramping your finger while gaming (and one of them is the one that accidentally gets hit all the time).

18. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    If you're standing just behind the top of a hill and you crouch to take full cover behind it, it can happen that you're standing just one step too far and still get hit in the head while crouched. Sometimes I'm also shooting enemies that are just barely within firing range, while I'm backing up from one or more of their teammates that are closely behind them but not yet close enough to be within firing range so it helps me to take cover and reload before the survivors get the chance to close in on me to come and take revenge over their dead teammate.