I need help deciding whether to buy a PS3 or not ...

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by slick3, Jul 8, 2011.

1. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Okay guyz, let me just start by saying that i have been a PC gamer for a long long time, and the last console that i owned was a PS2. I just simply prefer PC over the new generation consoles for some of the most obvious reasons and because i play shooter games more than anything else. However, i also like playing games like FIFA and racing games, and playing these games on PC isn't as good as playing it on consoles, because the controls are much better. I recently played FIFA 11 on the PS3 at my friend's place, and i gotta say that the graphics were HORRENDOUS ... the pitch was shaking, broken ****ed up edges, and it was almost pixelated like. FIFA 11 on PC looked like the "PS7" graphics compared to this ...

I was close to buying a PS3 but after seeing this, i'm reconsidering it. I knew consoles graphics had worse graphics than PC games but I never expected it to be like that. So is everygame that i get on the PS3, if i ever buy it, gonna be like this. Is there something that can be done to avoid such thing .... maybe something that my friend didn't do ? ? ?

2. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    well the controls on pc dont bother me. i have 2 ps2 pads and one adapter usb/ps2 (4 pads max)
    the only reason i wanna buy a ps3 its because i wanna play 2/3 games kof xiii, tekken 6 and maybe ff13.
    the only reason i dont wanna buy a ps3 its the price (total, console + games + extra pad etc. 350/400€ -+) i would have to pay for playing those games.
    did that mistake once wont do it again

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Personally i wouldnt buy a ps3,i bought one in 2008 just for mgs4 which was awesome,however i sold it about 2 months later after completing mgs4,i had 6 other good games also but i just found them boring and uninspiring which i why i sold it,the ps3 isnt a patch on what the ps2 was or even the revolutionary Ps1 and the ps4 will be even worse.

Put your money into building a good highend pc i would,you can emulate 90% of computers and consoles and there games that have been released in the past 30 years on a decent pc and actually run them with better graphics and resolution than they were originally,its just a matter of time before the ps3 gets emulated also,not that there much to play on it that is worth playing over the pc alternative.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    PS3 games look like crap because the resolution is not even HD, its just upscaled from 1024xXXX

5. BamBoozleD

BamBoozleD Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 FTW LE Sli
    Get it, games like Uncharted Series, God of War, Infamous and Little Big Planet to name a few, are all awesome exclusives.

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^Bingo!...A PS3 for Uncharted alone is worth the money.

And ignore the rest of the PS3 hate in this thread, just like the PC and every orther gaming device games can either look and play brilliant, or look a mess and be buggy up the wazzo...that were the game devs and publisher take the blame.

Some PS3 must have games off the top of my head.... Uncharted 1/2, Mass Effect 2, Heavy Rain, GT5, Motorstorm, Wipeout HD, Motorstorm Pacific rift, Resistance :Fall of Man 1/2, Folklore....and you will have access to a massive back catalogue of great games.

The PS3, just like the 360 or Wii makes a nice addition to your PC so why not broaden your horizons.

7. LogiTekkers

LogiTekkers Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX SLi
    I wouldnt reccomend a PS3 to anybody and for good reasons. Firstly like somebody already said aswell as yourself, the graphics are absolutly terrible. My opinion they dont look too much better than PS2 and this is on a HD monitor. I dont own one myself but my little brother does. Also the pads feel cheap, flimsy and uncomfortable. Ive been with playstation since PS1 and PS2.

I always wanted a PS3 when they came out. I never played on the first XBOX, but i had a chance to play on a 360 a few years ago whilst I had got into PC gaming more and since then have never looked back.

The things are amazing, and I highly reccomend them to anyone looking at getting a console. The quality is really there, the pads feel great, the quality of gameplay i feel is much better. For the best experience i do reccomend a good quality monitor for the extra satisfaction of graphics. (yeah its not PC quality graphics, but the better the monitor, the less you realise your on a console)

There are many plus sides to an Xbox and probably downsides like anything else when considering buying something new. I play fifa myself and on my monitor (LG Flatron W2361V), the difference in quality on fifa11 from PS3 to XBOX360 is astonishing when you see if for yourself.

There is just a few things for you to consider anyway and i hope you make the right choice and not go with the PS3

(Can anyone tell i hate Playstation and Sony?) :)

8. Goshorai

Goshorai Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 8600gt 1GB
    Really, is Up to you, if you didnt like the graphics of Fifa on ps3, then why dont just buy some pads and play it on your pc?
    Personally, I dont own a ps3, but I've seen some cool games in it like Uncharted,GoW, Heavy Rain, MGS4...
    And online mode is Free. If you like console gaming and dont mind the graphics then i Say go and buy it, if Not,stick with your pc, as simple as that.
    The money is yours, you do whatever you want with it ;)

PS: Did your friend had a HDTV?

9. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Lol, i understand the money is mine and all that but i still wanna buy something that's worth it ... My friend did have an HDTV ...

Also i would like to know because i haven't bought any of the new-gen consoles, what's the cheapest TV (regardless of it's size) can i buy to unleash the full graphic potential of a PS3 ... ?

10. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    [​IMG]

To the OP, the PS3 has some really awesome exclusives and it's a really good Blu-ray player, it's worth the money IMO.

11. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Get all systems, then you can bitch on how you don't like something and not be called a Fanboy.:)

12. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Its too late. Stay with PC & a 360 controller for now.

If you're looking for great gfx dont buy the old consoles, wait for the new ones. All consoles use upscaled resolutions btw they cant run games in full HD. Look at GTA4 / RDR and how blurry they are, yet still they only run with about 20 - 30 fps.
    Upscaling sux. More infos here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1113342&postcount=2

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  13. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    That's the best thing about owning both consoles (LOL Wii) and a gaming PC, no one can call you a fanboy and you can always pick the best version to play.

14. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Okay let's say i buy the PS3 ... what would be the cheapest screen that would be able to show the full potential of the graphics of the PS3. Cheapest screen because i have some big expenses coming towards my computer in the near future

15. #1 The PS4 has already been announced like the WiiU.

#2 The PS3 is already 5 or 6 years old, it is like wanting a new PC but buying a Pentium 4 no HT single Core.

For the Screen, fully dependent on size. If you will sit at least 3-4 Feet from your Screen I would say a 40" Screen, minimum size I could think of recommending is 32". Cheapest you will find a decent Screen is around $500, that is if you can find it on Sale. Think more like $800-$1,000 for a nice Screen. Do not touch an old tech LCD, go with the LED LCD. You want IPS Panels, TN is horrible if you do not face it 100% direct.

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Just buy the XBOX 360 controller and plug it into your PC, most console ports will work with the XBOX 360 controller. They're usually just the XBOX 360 version ported to the PC anyways. That's what I did to play console ports on the PC, like Call of Duty: Black Ops (on single player it's actually interesting lol), Batman: Arkham Asylum, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, DiRT2 and etc.

deltatux

17. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    None of those games are PS3 exclusives and the exclusives are the only reason for buying a PS3.
    I have a PS3 just for the Blu-ray player and the exclusives. MGS4 and Demon's Souls paid for it with all the hrs I spent on those games alone. Plus there are more exclusives that cater to many different tastes and they are all top quality. Just stay away from the multi-plats as they are crap compared to the PC vers.
    Same is true for the other consoles. The 360 purchase was made worth while from playing Chrome Hounds. Spent over 400hrs on that. It's an A+ title you will never see on the PC.
    For the Wii it was the Zelda and Mario games. They can be emulated but I feel dirty doing that when the console is right there.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^I'm have had the spare time recently to fire up the Wii and try Mario galaxy, which has been sitting there unloved for over a year now.........and WOW.......Its simply brilliant....cant put the bugger down.

19. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    The exclusives make it worth a buy alone, it depends what your expecting tho.

20. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I would not buy any console new at the moment they are all ancient and about to be replaced with new gen within 12months. If anything and must get a console buy a used for 1/4 the price of a new model.