Red Faction Armageddon more graphically demanding than CRYSIS 2 (DX11) or METRO 2033!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by shane_p, Jul 8, 2011.

1. shane_p

shane_p Member

GPU:
    590GTX HYDRO COPPER CLASS
    Hi all,
    I get lower FPS in RFA than CRYSIS 2 or METRO 2033!!!

Wondering what other people are seeing for FPS on this game?
    I jump between 40-60FPS (well in 3D so I guess 80-120FPS?)
    with everything maxed out, and all driver options on HIGHEST QUALITY (4X MSAA)
    well it is totally playable, but funny as I see CRYSIS 2 DX11 with everything maxed stays locked at max FPS all the time (3D)

I do see it is using 6 cores heavily, and both GPU's are loaded to near 100%
    is it possbile it is really that demanding of a game?
    what is ur experience with this game?

Thanks

2. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Because that game has destructible environment.

3. shane_p

shane_p Member

GPU:
    yah but still, and well I really don't see any core (CPU) maxed out, more like 50-75% load on 6 cores at 4.4Ghz

and FPS really don't drop when I start destroying stuff
    well graphics are pretty decent, but kinda shocked to see the lower FPS (and I run at a lower res 1680x1050)

4. Little

Little Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8
    why on earth would you have a 590 and run such a low res ? thats just stupid. a 460 would be plenty enough for such a crappy res. yay for more money than brains

5. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Crap Volition devs released the game without any support for multigpu, so your 590 is working half the performance it should be. Infact it's working slower when SLI is enabled.
    Disable one core and run the game. It runs much better.

6. shane_p

shane_p Member

GPU:
    why thank you for being so pleasant about it
    it is really helpful.

and NO kid, a 460 GTX will not be enough for METRO 2033 or CRYSIS DX11 at that RES at maxed detail and AA, not even close, and for sure not in 3D.

Now, I have a back-ordered another 590GTX HYDRO COPPER, to run QUAD SLI, as the end goal is to run 3 monitors in 3D. Again I know when someone is as broke as you, with such useless old hardware, you wouldn't be able to figure it out, but when I am running QUAD SLI and my next 2 monitors come in I will be running a res of 4950 x 3150 in 3D and as far as I see it RED FACTION ARMAGEDDON will probably be unplayable at that RES, even with 4x GPU's

so that is why I started this thread, to see what others people are experiencing as far as FPS go in this game

hey anyone running multiple monitors with RED FACTION ARMA...?
    seems like that would be a challenge to keep smooth FPS

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  7. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    If you're bulding a 3dvision surround setup with that kind of resolution, I won't advise you to buy another 590 because they only have 1.5gb per core which will limit you.
    Best choice is to have three gtx580 with 3gb, that's the best choice for 3d surround. And remember that right now 3d vision surround only work with two gpu, and the third one could be used as physx accell.

Regarding Red Faction Armageddon, as I told you, right now the game won't take advantage of multiple cores, only one is used.
    The game, doesn't have native eyefinity/surround support, but you can edit the registry and choose the resolution you like, but you must live with a stretched HUD.
    Performance is not great because you can only use one gpu to power a huge resolution.

By the way, I game at triple monitor landscape with 3 x DELL U2311H.

8. shane_p

shane_p Member

GPU:
    1. well I see quite a load on 6 cores at 4.4Ghz
    and here on their forums a programmer says it uses more than 2 cores with some kinda "cpu load balancer"
    http://www.redfaction.com/forums/topic/6751#comment-59801

2. thanks, good to know

3. but I see know, if ur saying it doesn't use SLI properly.....that is why I am seeing much lower FPS than I excepted. THANKS

btw 3D visions is a little buggy in the game, I hope a patch improves this

9. Little

Little Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8

yay for people still living with mommy and daddy in their basement at 30 years old. i have a job, wife, and child there high speed. i also have a thing called responsibility and bills. not everyone spends every waking minute in front of a computer screen. as for my "useless" hardware, i built this machine for like $800 OVER 2 YEARS AGO. it still does everything i need it to do when i do actually find time and actually decide to turn it on. and yes i am kinda broke after paying 80% of my house off as a down payment then the other 20% off in exactly 1 year but i guess you dont have to worry about things like that with mommy and daddy around.

PEACE OUT

10. shane_p

shane_p Member

GPU:
    I have a wife, 3 kids, house, bills and a job as well

AND your the one who immediately called me "stupid" and "more money than brains". I didn't say anything about you.

I have 2 full time jobs, (working right now...LOL) that is why I have the extra cash to buy whatever I want. SO again thanks for calling me stupid, just because I have more money and work harder than you.

I am 37 years old and I have my first house paid off, and my 2nd a renter is paying off for me. My mom and dad died years ago. I work hard so I can blow as much money on my PC as I want to

Me and my kids will probably do some serious gaming tonight, then I will have a few beers and think of the next piece of hardware I am gonna order.

again u attacked me first.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    RF Armageddon is a console led game so it is more CPU than GPU dependent. Those kinds of games typically don't run as well as expected on the PC. GTA IV is another. People sometimes accuse them of being lazy unoptimised ports which is true in the sense that the engines are not really written to take advantage of the PC's strengths.

P.S. RF Armageddon is a mediocre game anyway, DX11 or otherwise. Guerrilla was a much better game IMO with better visuals than ran better and had a more open world to play about in.

12. shane_p

shane_p Member

GPU:
    CPU DEPENDENT: could be, but I never see any CORE loaded to 100%
    I see SOME activity on 6 cores, but more like 25%-75% load

Yah Guerrilla was good, I was kinda hoping this one would be more like it, I think graphics are MUCH better in this one though, but yah I liked how open Guerrilla was

again though, anyone with multiple monitors, what kinda FPS u getting in this game?

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yea i noticed those 40-45ish fps drops my self, i though this gpu would be able to keep up with 60fps vsynced but no..and im on even lower reso then yours atm 1280x1024.

Cpu usage is around 40-70% across all 4 cores, gpu usage 70-90% and yet I keep getting that low fps drop when exploding allot stuff..

Im kinda suspecting that DX11 Ambient Occlusion with fake optimization and that takes the most fps away.. Im guessing when particles explode it needs to apply AO on them and that eats up precious gpu cycles or something in those lines.. When i used lower AA or lower AO it ran better, but still its not it.

Imo its just fuxedup unoptimized game, lol i've been looking forward to this game but now its turning me off..

14. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    Dumbest comment ever. Seriously do some people even think before they type?

I have a 120Hz 1680 LCD and I love it because I can crank the eye candy. A GTX 460 is garbage @ 1680 with eye candy, there is nothing wrong with a high end GPU at 1680 when you run 8x AA, 16AF, AO, etc, etc. Next time think before you post something asinine.

15. Metz

Metz Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5850 TOP CF
    After comparing several screenshots from various levels my opinion is that DX11 on RFA is absolutely useless unless you want some darker object shadows.

The game does not run well on DX11 and has problems with Mutli GPU setups. What kind of performance do you get running DX9 Shane?

16. eiren

eiren Active Member

GPU:
    GTX480 @ 890
    Take some of the gusto you've got for attacking people with nicer hardware than you, and put it into finding a better job!

You'll soon be all sunshine and smiles, and QUAD SLI!

17. Ricky78

Ricky78 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N1060G1
    RFA doesn't have a working SLI profile (it doesn't scale at all), this is the reason because it doesn't run well like C2 and M2033.

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Dude, if you have nothing to offer the OP in terms of advice, then, don't bother posting. I'm sick of seeing people like you start stupid arguments. Use your brain and think before you post. No-one in this thread gives a flying f*** about your personal situation.

Stay on topic or GTFO!

19. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    Nice one good luck

20. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    this is about 4 flamers in one thread all whacking their dicks at each other.. dont they call that smurfing? are you guys smurfing?.. guys?

seriously is this what this forum has turned into?! Im out for a week or so to work on my site, grow the f*ck up.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011