Nvidia AA guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GanjaStar, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Psycho101

Psycho101 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    I managed to borrow my work's copy (well.. their entire Steam Account :) ), and I tested SGSSAA ingame using the same old compatibility flag. With DX11 disabled, so everything on DX9 Ultra. SGSSAA works fine for me.

Note that even with 8xSGSSAA (completely unplayable for me) that the red circle in the Nanosuit room is still aliased. However it's definitely less aliased.

2. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Couly you post a screen of the scene with 2/4/8xSGSSAA @ the same resolution 1280x1024 thx :) also which driver are you using ? WHQL ?
    Dont forget to disable PostMSAA via the console and r_PostMSAA 0

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  3. Psycho101

Psycho101 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    Sure.

Forgive me for not posting 2x and 8x shots, but I believe the 4xSGSSAA shot gives an immediate and dramatic difference. I personally use 2x SGSSAA when playing in DX9 as I only have 1GB of VRAM per card. with 4xSGSSAA @ 1680x1050 and high res textures enabled the game stutters slightly in places as data is swapped over PCIe.

Just to confirm, the following (I have more shots but this one seemed the most ideal) was taken in DX9 mode, HD textures on, all forms of in game / engine based AA completely disabled. Driver version is 275.33 and as requested, I took the shots at 1280x1024. I left the Afterburner OSD visible so that you could see the difference in VRAM usage and FPS. The shot was timed to be taken at exctly the same time, enemy positions are due to AI variation.

Pay particular attention to the top edge of the circular portion of the fountain. Also note the much improved and cleaner AA'd lines of the container near the ammo cache.

No AA:
    [​IMG]

4xSGSSAA:
    [​IMG]

Post up a screenshot of your nVidia Inspector with your C2 profile loaded, maybe there's a setting that isn't quite right. Perhaps an nVidia auto profile update has over written your custom settings or something?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  4. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Could you please stay with the Nanosuite Showroom else it would be useless to compare our results :)

[​IMG]

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    You should take a look at the white papers they are pretty easy to read.

6. Psycho101

Psycho101 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    I didn't stick with the Nanosuit showroom because the results with SGSSAA were exactly the same before and after the patch. That area of the game has always shown poor results. The top of the ring would be very aliased while the lower section would be smoothed. On some configs, the red ring will flicker between smoothed and aliased. AFAIK, this happend as far back as I can remember (Patch 1.2).

I thought you were stating that SGSSAA is completely broken in Crysis 2 because of your observations in the Nanosuit Room. Sorry if I misunderstood. :)

I can take a shot in there later if you like, I've returned the Steam Drive to my work, but I'm popping back later this evening anyway, so I can borrow it again.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  7. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Ahh i will test that i thought something like that the aliasing on the Red Chroma looks strange like a shader problem, though it can't be good overall as well.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Update your drivers..

9. dlder

dlder Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    Crysis 2 v1.9 (Dx11) & AA

Hi guys!

I'm searching the Internet high and low for an answer but so far had no luck :-(

I've disabled ingame AA & Alpha-AA via cfg...
    r_PostMSAA 0
    r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV 0
    r_UseEdgeAA 0

...and tried enabling SSAA via NVI...
    AA Compat = 0x000012C1
    Override Any App Settings
    AA = 4x MS
    TSAA = 4x SS

...but unfortunately it doesn't work!

So, is there a way to make it work? Maybe "AA Compat DX10" (=DX11?) bits?

Thanks!

10. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    It wont work with DX11 anyways their your best option is FXAA for the moment, and on DX9 it works for some it seems :p
    I already found 2 major Engine differences of 1.9 and can revert them back to be able to switch between engine revisions but im still looking into shader differences and AA changes.

Though this becomes stranger and stranger

[​IMG]

this above is with r_postMSAA = 1, r_postMSAAEdgefilterNV = 1 and r_UseEdgeAA = 0
    could somebody post his results best would be DX9 and WHQL and Beta driver difference of the circle and especially the texture inside the circle (spinning 360°).
    Nvidia results only please.

Without PostMSAA (1.9)

[​IMG]

Without PostMSAA (1.2)

[​IMG]

The only problem in 1.2 is the red ring but the texture quality stays clear and doesn't get destroyed by the PostMSAA so judge what you would prefer.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

11. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Exactly this but you said that the best option was FXAA so I'm assuming your preference is blur, I hate aliasing but edge AA set to 3 works fine and doesn't blur the entire image like postmsaa so I'd rather have it clear and have slightly less effective AA.

No point in having HR textures if it's hidden behind blur...

No wonder people claim there is no difference. There certainly is without it.

12. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Nope without DX11 my preference would be entirely not 1.9 there seems to be a lot of issues in it that slowly become visible as people play through the game again :)

Here is some compare with 1.2 :)

with PostMSAA without NVEdgefilter (1.2)

[​IMG]

with PostMSAA and r_PostMSAAEdgefilterNV = 1 (Nvidias FXAA) (codename: blur it away )

[​IMG]

with PostMSAA and r_PostMSAAEdgefilterNV = 2 (Nvidias FXAA) (codename: blur it away less ;) )

[​IMG]

even on 1.2 it looks not that bad with PostMSAA and edgefilter my own prefered method would be r_PostMSAAEdgefilterNV = 2

I also tried 275.33 WHQL and it's definitely no Beta driver issue :(

Surely everyone would like to get FSAA back but i guess those times are over @ least for now see what happens with it from previous Engine versions currently :(

FSAA Broken rendering

[​IMG]

i post some 1.2 screens Ingame as compare to 1.9 ingame both with hi res texture pack (yes it's easily possible to use it in pre 1.9) and the missing new features (DX9 path = Contact shadows,Realtime Local Reflections) soon :) for a direct ingame compare.

PS: The texture rendering problem in DX9 1.9 is found :)

Without PostMSAA and r_texAnisotropy = 2 (default is 8 and seems to fail same for 16 currently)

[​IMG]

Now the new Lightning and Reflections can be really enjoyed :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    Is there a possible workaround for Avatar the game, any experts on how to force the right string? :grad:

In game aa makes these weird white and black dots/full rings at certain angle, if im centered its fine if i look under a small angle i can see them in the distance appearing at random times.. Idk both 270.xx and 275.xx do it (i didn't try anything older), its fine if i disable ingame AA or if i use only TrAA 8xssaa, but if i enable AA i get this weird buggy stuff.. (dx10, rest maxed, 3d off)

I tried to force FaryCry2 AA profile, since its based on same dunia engine but it didnt do anything, no aa... any tips?:nerd:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  14. calfcramp

calfcramp New Member

Any help with nba 2k11, mlb 2k11 and madden 08 aa compatibilty numbers is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

15. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    I´m playing crysis 2 with dx11 and 1.9 patch.

What´s the best solution for removing the jaggies? :(

I read lots of posts and AA doesnt seem to work properly, i´m just looking for an approach.

Thanks in advanced

16. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    anyone?

17. nojas

nojas Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 - MSI TF3
    Bump for crysis 2 dx11 flags

18. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    Transformers: War for Cybertron - 0x00000245

This setting causes that same weird white outline on things as

Dead Space 2 - 0x00411245 (works with higher quality shadows, but has lower AA quality)

Does anyone know of an alternative for Transformers that works?

19. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Any settings for King Arthur the roleplaying wargame?

20. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    bump for crysis 2 dx11 flags :(