New PSU - Which One??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Redemption80, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Mini scare last night, was browsing when the PC restarted, went over to look at it, then it made a fizzling noise and shut down.

Wouldn't start back up, and the only life from it was a half second spin of the fans when you connected the power cable.
    Everything other than the PSU was cold, so i was leaning towards that.

Long story short, after a few hours of grumpyness and unplugging everything other than CPU/GPU, removing ram sticks and CMOS batteries, i eventually dusted off an old 500w PSU, and everything booted fine.

Going to head to an actual shop after work today, as temporarily don't have credit, or debit card facilities, so need to go old schoo lol.
    Checked out what they all have on their website, and since i can't really do much research while im working, or pretending to work, was wondering which one(s) would be recommended, and hopefully it will be in stock when i get there.

Corsair GS800 - £90
    XFX PRO850W - £87
    Antec HGC-900 - £115

Not the best choice ever, or prices, but impatient minus delivery costs helps even things out

2. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    I'd choose between a Seasonic (XFX) or Delta (Antec). It's your call, both are Very good PSU's. :)

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    XFXFXFXFXXFXFXFX!!!! :D I have the PRO aswell, it's really good. I actually wanted the more expensive one cause of the green colours + better efficience 90% i think.

4. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Yeah +1 on the XFX too, looks like the best of the lot to me overall. :)

I was considering a 650w/750w one some time ago.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    BeQuiet's DarkPower Pro are pretty good. Got the 1200W version, silent as a whisper and it hasn't put a foot wrong yet.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't know if they have will any of them though, and have to use cash as it could be 1-2 weeks before i get my new card, and tbh don't want to wait that long with no PC lol.

Leaning towards the XFX one myself, does look the best all round of the three.

Cheers guys, hopefully back up and running tonight.

7. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
  8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'd back Corsair.

deltatux

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
  10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    XFX and Antec are good. Stay away from that Corsair.

11. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

I thought Seasonic made the power supplies sold by Corsair. Or is it only some of them?

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yup. That's the case. Corsair GS800 is not bad PSU (built by CWT), others just offer better value in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  13. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I have never had trouble with Antec PSUs. I can't recall using any other brand either.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    id look for one that has a continuous power rating instead of peak. but if those are your only options, id put my vote towards corsair.

15. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well, the XFX wasn't in stock, typical lol.

Went for the Corsair, got it before the stay away warning, tbh i've not heard many bad things about their PSU's, well other than many being overpriced anyway.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My sound card has a good bit of distortion under load....power supply can cause this??
    (a PM in regards to this and a way to rule it out would be nice if someone could assist...I don't want to hijack this thread)

I'd have gone with the Corsair as well.... I've lost a few Antec units, though I can't say as to why as I wasn't concerned with it at the time. At least you had a better selection than I get. Locally I can only get Antec, AGI, StarTech, RocketFish and "Dynex"... Can't even get Coolermaster locally anymore since CompUSA sold out to TigerDirect...

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Hijack away, power supply was bought a few hours after i started the thread, so guessing its just a PSU thread now and would also be interested myself :)

Yeah, selection was ok, just limited compared to what im used to online, also had CoolerMaster and PC Power & Cooling, but those were either underpowered, or out my price range.
    Lots of OCZ too, but considering the last one only lasted a year, did feel a little apprehensive, still going to send it back for a replacement though, as it will come in handy for a second build.

19. sikvdila

sikvdila Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X OC
    Enermax 1050W

20. Snarl

Snarl Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti 11GB