Ruined Game Franchises

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Wunderbar_007, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    No...

2. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Every game I've played.
    Most common reason: too easy to play.

3. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX Superclocked
    That's true actually, I do miss the difficulty of some of the older games. I'm currently playing Thief and have the Ultimate Difficulty Mod, I'm also playing Witcher 1 on the hardest mode and cannot imagine how boring hacking and slashing through it must be on easy, without potion use and management.

4. Dre46

Dre46 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 580
    Sure is. You can see they had one thing in mind. Console!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung

if you are interested in deus ex human revolution. i did a playtrough of the press release on my youtube :) and im a deus ex 1 nerd. played it trough at least 30 times. if you want i can link it to you

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    christ... I'm pretty sure everyone is more interested in your playthrough, then your asking Wunderbar if he's interested

7. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Command & Conquer - RA3 sucked, it was way too silly. I really hope they make another Generals game though

Far Cry - Far Cry 2 was just a really boring game...drive kill easy checkpoint guards, tighten radiator, find rough diamonds...bleh

Soldier of Fortune - Everyone agrees that SOF Payback was awful. That was a good franchise, so I don't understand why they handed it to a budget developer to make something that was guaranteed trash

8. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX Superclocked
    Thanks Chock, I actually did play the leak myself and generally enjoyed it. I just still can't understand why they decided to go with third person and health regen. The game felt pretty easy even on Deus Ex mode as you can sit behind cover and regen your health. Also that radar shows you the enemies.

But sure, link it, I'll take a look :)

9. kbozz71

kbozz71 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    As I read these comments, most of you have what I would consider valid points. However, look at the one common factor in most of the sequels listed have in common.........CONSOLES. I will use Unreal Tournament as an example. UT99 was probably the best game I ever played. I sucked, but it was just plain out fun. UT2003 bombed, but UT2004 was a hit, and fixed the mistakes of 03. Now, UT3 comes out and wait for it....for PC and PS3. What do we get? A dumbed down consolized half assed shooter. Sure it can be modded and still be pretty fun, but really, I blame the consoles for the disaster most games have become. You may not agree with me, and that's ok, but I hate consoles and I will never be convinced that they haven't ruined gaming in general.

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Consoles have their place, and heck sports games and etc rule on console since you can have more players and sit them wherever to play.

It is not the consoles fault microsoft sucks ass and lies year after year saying pc is important to us, right you can jack up prices on your console games and get a cut just to license them on your console, the way the system is setup it is near stupid to spend a ton of time making pc only games. Piracy, system requirements, hacks, fact that ms cannot charge someone for making a game for pc is a big factor also. SO not only do ms and sony, sony does the same stuff they just never were huge into pcs at all so ms is the prime asshat, get a cut of each and every sale and gets a licensing fee to let a game use its xbl and put their xbox and ps3 logos on the game case.

PC is just behind the 8 ball in that area, they can get more money on console not only because of piracy but because of the licensing involved, and think on this how many copies of games do rental places buy? We never had pc rentals back in the day how many 10s of thousands of console games get sold to well what used to be blockbuster, gamefly now days, now is probably not as huge a cut since many rental places are on their last leg and dying out for streaming, DD, and mail services.

But in the last 15 20 years rental places you can bet bought a good number of videogames for renting.

I think it will all even out as more more consoles and pc devs go DD, we are going to see all big DD centers getting bigger, We have had steam for years and had direct 2 drive and seems every month more and more publishers and even some game studios seem to open their own DD services. GoG did a geat job of carving out a niche with the classic pc games and DD service.

But in 5 10 years there will be no walk in rental places, there will be little or nothing sold in retail stores because more than likely the next consoles will be wholly DD distribution, microsoft is seeming to go that route in the next windows from the little i have read also, everyone is gearing up for DD in the future as the sole means to buy rent games and etc, the resale market will die as a result.

Cut out the middle man and more profit, no disks to burn, no manuals to print, no boxes to print and assemble, profit, profit and moar profit. And its your DD network you can again charge people to put their games on your sony DD network or your xbl network, publishers win in every way in the DD future saving money and making more money.

No reason to be hating on consoles they are what they are, you should be hating on microsoft for pissing all over the pc users that built microsoft, deciding to get into the game console business then dropping all those microsoft game studios that had made many great pc games over the years.

After that it was just simple pandering in the early days ports were just straight up ports, many barely playable on pc because of it. Pc users fumed and flamed and for great reason pc gaming had gone form the forefront even in the days of ps1 and ps2 and the other early consoles pc gaming was still king, sony never messed with the pc market, nor did sega, nor did nintendo, they made console games for their consoles.

MS was uniquee because it was a major pc os developer, and a major pc games studio.

SO with that something had to give and it was the pc side of microsoft that gave and gave hard.

Slap a non pc publishers in there and they made xbox then pc gaming might have suffered a tad as the console market got more and more competetive but there would have not been this big huge vaccum created that was out there after MS jumped ship.

So blame microsoft you cant even blame sony in destroying pc gaming, nor could you blame ps1 and 2 nor could you blame nintendo or sega. MS made its choice and it chose to focus all its efforts on one side of things and left us in the cold.

11. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Fallout New Vegas killed it for me

12. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Call of Duty
    Need For Speed
    Ghost Recon
    Rainbow Six
    The Sims
    Civilization
    Colin McRae Rally
    Supreme Commander

13. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Don't doubt what you said about Starsiege and Tribes, but I came in on Tribes 2 and was mainly referring to the Z-FPS part of it. Hoping they bring back the big maps and extra packs (tactical gameplay stuff) from T2 in the next installment.

Honestly though, I don't think today's gamers can handle a game that challenging though.

1 other thing I'd like to mention is the Quake and Hexen/Heretic series. The Strogg are cool and all, but I loved the creepy feel of Quake 1. Space demons and sh*t that had a totally different feel than DOOM.

As for Hexen/Heretic, they have all that lore and awesomeness, why won't they use it and make a new game in that universe? I absolutely LOVED everything about those games. A big sandbox RPG/FPS would be amazing in that world.

14. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    Maybe you're all just getting old, or everything that has been coming out lately is nothing more than a sequel to something you have already played.

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Get ready guys, long list ahead:

System Shock2 > Bioshock - dumbed down remake of SS2
    CO4 > from then on - always the same ****
    Halo 1 > 2, 3, Reach - always the same **** with regen health...
    God of War 1 > GoW 2 and 3 - always the same **** with stupid stories...
    Half Life 1 - HL2 and the episodes - episodes, worst idea ever!
    Quake 1 and3 > Quake 2 and 4 - very bad games
    Doom 1 > Doom3 - really bad game
    FEAR 1 > FEAR 2 and 3 - bad jokes
    PES until 6 > from then on - they butchered PES!!!
    Ninja Gaiden 1 > Ninja Gaiden 2 - why?
    Command and Conquer 1 and 2 > all the rest - very bad sequels

Those are all i can remember for now...

16. Fel8me

Fel8me Member

GPU:
    2xASUS GTX 660Ti Sli
    Soldier of Fortune 1/2 - great gorefest -> Payback WTF!!
    Project IGI - groundbreaking sandbox game play -> IGI2 generic FPS
    Driver - 70's style street chases -> I don't want to get out of the car!!
    Alone in the Dark - original daddy to the horror survival genre -> AitD4 Hatefull console bollocks

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    RE After the plants were gone...( btw console ports did not kill that)

18. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Assassin's Creed 1 had a veeeeeery nice premise. Then Ubi just tossed a lot of "collect THIS and THAT for POINTS and MONEY" And it killed the good presentation that AC1 had (the discussions with the master, the development of Al-Tahir, etc).

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Any new resident evil game. I loved the old style, esp Resident Evil 2.
    Another one would be the Oddworld series when they went 3D, usually
    I'd consider 2D games old, but those Abe games were awesome.

Right now I'm hoping they don't mess to much with Stalker for Stalker 2...

My main gripe these days is that SP games are to easy. I want my games to be challenging, not something I can finish in 4 hours on the hardest skill level.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Generals was fun, but it shouldn't have been part of the C&C franchise. It felt more like a Starcraft copycat.

Tiberian Sun was the best C&C imo and C&C 4 sucked too much, it made me cry.

deltatux